“My Bucket List !”
Review of Dakota Cowboy Inn

Dakota Cowboy Inn
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We arrived at the Inn on 5/4/2014. The manager "SHAN" seemed a little surprised that we were there. We made reservations through EXPEDIA and he didn't seem to know about it. Shan went on to tell us that he had tried to open on the 1st but had found a lot of busted pipes due to the brutal winter. However the newest stand alone part of the Inn was ready and that is where we stayed. The room was roomy and very clean,and that it had new mattress.The first morning for breakfast he was late opening up so we sat and had juice and coffee.He then brought scrambled eggs,biscuits and gravy and pancake mix.This young man was doing everything by himself.He took time to set and chat and to answer any questions we had. One morning the waffle machine broke and he made pancakes in his kitchen and brought them to us(very good) Yes we did have a few issues but this young man did everything he could to make our stay O K !Thanks Shan !

Room Tip: Loved THE COWBOY INN building,stay here if at all possible !
4  Thank Leonard U
ManagerABVI, General Manager at Dakota Cowboy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

I am always happy to hear about a positive experience and personal interaction when guests stay with us. It was a pleasure speaking with you and your husband each morning, we like to provide our guests with a fresh made breakfast using quality ingredients and I am glad that you enjoyed it. I do apologize for the breakfast being, I have the extra help to make sure this does not happen again. Thank You again for your kind words and please come and see us again if you are in Custer.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I would like to personally say thanks to Shan, The GM He has done a wonderful job and gave his best customer services he could give me and help me out as much as possible so I can feel comfortable and enjoy my trip thanks so much and the others guys there as well.

Room Tip: It was nice and quiet and clean with my request its was done correctly.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Dakota Cowboy Inn during your trip to Custer. Customer service is key and I am glad that you had a positive experience when you were here. Thank You again for leaving us feedback.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Being seasonal, this motel had only been open for a few weeks. We found the room to be spacious and clean. However, the staffing was like watching the 3 Stooges trying to operate a motel on a holiday weekend. We stayed 4 nights. 2 of those days our room was never serviced - not cleaned,, no towels, no soap, zip. We had a problem with both the bathroom sink - no water power and cloudy, undrinkable water - and a toilet that ran constantly. It took maintenance all day. We arrived back at the motel at around 6 pm and the plumber was still working on it - so we couldn't use the room. Took anther few hours. Breakfast was a joke. Our first morning, there was a Corning dish with some cold scrambled eggs, some bread for toast, about 6 cups of waffle mix, a Pyrex measuring cup with hot water for tea - and a box of generic corn flakes sitting on the counter. Being Memorial Day weekend, the people staying increased. The food situation got worse. Every morning there wasn't enough food- and what was available wasn't sufficient to make anyone's "breakfast". Cereal - but no milk. Eggs - but no bread. Waffle mix - but no syrup. No coffee. No hot water. No cups. One morning, the staff had to bring ceramic cups from their own kitchen.

The motel manager was trying very, very hard - but it was out of control. He was trying to manage the desk, fix the many problems, and staff the breakfast area- every time running upstairs for a single item.

I expected some form of adjustment when we left - since we had essentially gone 2 days without a working sink or toilet. We received an apology.

We are members of AVI and stay at motels at least 30 times a year. A little .disappointed in this facility

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Bonnie, I would like to apologize on behalf of my staff and I for the experience that you had when staying with us. Although we were understaffed at the time of opening there is no excuse for the things that you experienced. I have had the issues that occurred in your room fixed as far as the toilet, water pressure and the cloudy water which was caused by air in the water line. We are fully staffed now and the breakfast issues will not occur again. Thank You for your feedback

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in mid-May. Not very busy at that point (one night we were the only guests). The owner still cooked us breakfast every morning (scrambled eggs, sausage gravy, biscuits & pancakes). He took a personal interest even though he was focused on prepping the hotel for the season opening. Without a doubt, I would return. At about $53/night, it was a fantastic value.

1  Thank Michael D

Michael, I appreciate you taking the time to leave us the kind words and share your positive experience that you had with us. We try our best to interact with all of our guests to ensure that you have a personalized experience and are comfortable during your stay. Our breakfast is an important part of the experience when staying with us and I'm glad you enjoyed it. We like to provide an affordable nights rest while making sure that all amenities are available for our guests.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

After reading mostly good reviews of this place, the reality is far from what we experienced...at least in our room. When trying to turn on our reading lamps, we discovered the wires had been cut and there were no plugs available to plug into the outlets by the beds. All but one set of outlets were old-style (meaning no grounding outlets that fit today's electronics...hence, no place to plug in a laptop except by the bathroom sink.

The towels are standard Motel 6-issue thinness. The "Free Breakfast" which was supposed to start at 7 am wasn't open at 7:15 yet. The toilet nearly overflowed just with urinating. The TV had good cable, but the TV's probably a 32-inch tube TV that's been out of style and sale for years.

The place was clean, but still felt like a dump for the money. They also appear to have never upgraded windows to double-pane, and it felt in the room like they'd never put insulation in the walls...the room was freezing, necessitating using the VERY loud heater that had no thermostatic controls to it. Lastly, the beds only had one blanket (it was very cold in the evenings when we were there), and no extra blankets anywhere to be found in the room.

When trying to get in touch with a front-desk person at about 1 pm...there was no one to be found.

All in all, if you're looking to get what you paid for, and are hoping to have a nostalgic stay in a 70's-era lodging experience...this is the place. If you want the basic amenities that even Motel 6 now offers, stay away from this place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Geoff L
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Great stay, friendly service! Would recommend to others!! Wifi kept goin in between my service n theirs. Only downfall! Next yr we'll be back for another graduation n possibly staying at this motel! Hopin the weather will be warmer so the pool will be open! One day of great weather but well worth our stay!!

• Stayed: May 2014
ManagerABVI, General Manager at Dakota Cowboy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank You for choosing the Americas Best Value Dakota Cowboy Inn as your lodging choice during your trip to Custer. We want our guests stay to be extraordinary and I personally apologize for the WiFi troubles that you had. This issue is being looked at to ensure that the problem does not occur again. We hope to see you next year for any graduations that you may be in town for.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I usually don't leave reviews for stays at motels but I felt the need to leave one. The rooms at this place were very clean and the service was better than some 4 star hotels that I have stayed at. Looking at the price I thought there were going to be minimal amenities but I was surprised to see they had everything, from a microwave, refrigerators and Wi-Fi in the room to a full hot breakfast in the morning. I parked in front of the room which made in convenient to unload my things. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank John R

Thank You very much for taking the time to leave us a review, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We like to offer all the amenities at a price that is affordable. We look forward to your next stay with us

Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Days Inn Custer
Days Inn Custer
#18 of 18 in Custer
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills

Been to Dakota Cowboy Inn? Share your experiences!