Dakota Cowboy Inn
Rodeway Inn(Custer)
  • Breakfast included
Chief Motel(Custer)
View Hotel
All reviewsworked greatbreakfast was includedroad tripstayed nightscomfortable stayjewel cavefamily vacationroom was largecuster state parkmount rushmoreblack hillsbeds were comfortablemicrowave
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Very minimal accommodations. Apparent mold in bathtub/shower bottom. Linens and towels flimsy and thread bare. Forgot to clean room while we were out for the day. Appears that the place has not seen a paint brush in many years, and the wood steps and walkways and concrete walkway splintering/cracking and in need of paint and repair. Advertised "hot breakfast" offers the least have ever seen at a motel in recent years and offers nothing healthy, heavy on sugar, salt and fat and even at that does not begin until 7AM. Best bet for food is Dakota Cowboy Cafe across the parking lot. Adequate if not other accommodations available in the area.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
ManagerABVI, General Manager at Dakota Cowboy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

I want to personally apologize that your stay was not so pleasant with us, we work hard to make sure all of our customers leave happy and fully satisfied with their experience. I have replaced the older towels with new linens. Our breakfast contains Belgian waffles, whip cream, syrup, strawberries, sausage gravy with biscuits, cereal, toast, coffee tea and juice. We are working on providing more options for our guests so there is more of a variety. Thank You again for your feedback

Reviewed 31 July 2014

First off, if you are turned off by outdated décor, this place isn't for you. If it doesn't bother you, then read on! The décor looks like it's from the 50's, but the room was clean and comfortable. My room had a small fridge and microwave. When I checked in the clerk was great. He recommended a place to get my tire fixed should I need it (long story, but I did need the repair place and they were wonderful too!) and a place for supper. One BIG caveat! The front desk is only opened until 10 pm, which seems weird for me. Most hotels have someone on duty all night or at least til midnight. When I asked the clerk about this, he said if you are going to be later than 10 pm, to call and they would remain open for you. This hotel has an outdoor pool with a small water slide. While I didn't try this out, I saw a family out there and they were enjoying themselves. Breakfast was basic, but I expected that. I got a great rate and a great night's sleep. I couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank redasumter
ManagerABVI, Front Office Manager at Dakota Cowboy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback, we are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I talked to the General Manager about the office operation hours and we have extended them now.

Hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

First the good: Our room was clean and ready for us at 4. There's a good swimming pool, which my daughter liked. The slide was old, but appeared to be safe. The location is pretty good - at an intersection. The Dakota Cowboy restaurant next door is good Western grub. Breakfast is decent - a waffle maker (they really needed 2), juice, cereal, toast.

Now the bad: When I arrived to check in around 4, 2-3 customers were waiting to complain about something not cleaned in their room. Management had trouble keeping the breakfast area stocked. WiFi was marginal. When I needed to use their computer, it was even slower than my phone and never did connect to my msn account.

And the ugly: We had a bad hail storm at night. I couldn't see damage to my car that evening, but I woke to voices ouside the room commenting on the damage, with their only concern that they shouldn't be liable. From previous conversations, they knew I was having phone problems (don't expect Sprint in SD), and when I went into the lobby, there was no offer of help, and suddenly only non-English speakers were there. They heard and saw my frustration with the computer, and ignored me. Some assistance with reaching insurance company would have been very welcome. I think this place is in trouble and deservedly so.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LHelker

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the inconvenience with the internet since we had some technical issues with it for a couple of days, thank you for letting us know the situation with the front desk clerk not helping you with your issue, we have personally talked to all of our staff to make sure that all of our guests needs are met.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Where do I start! Check in time 3 pm. Get in town around 5 pm and told that room is not ready. Told to come back in 45 min. Came back 1 hour later but lo and behold the room is not done. The cleaner was in the room and said we would have to wait. Meanwhile I am travelling with 2 kids and the room is STILL nowhere near ready. Cleaner says "I told them not to rent this room". My reply was we had already booked and paid the day before. Back to the desk I go. As soon as I insisted that something be done a cancellation magically appeared on his computer. Voila. Available room! It is now 730. Next. Fridge didn't work. Beds like hammocks and I am not exaggerating. Thin old towels. The room seemed clean enough. The breakfast was okay and the pool seemed really nice and we would have used it if we could have checked in on time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dianne W
Reviewed 26 July 2014

If I could give a rating of less than terrible I would. No one to check us in. After 10 mins a man appeared who did not know how to operate computer & eventually told us to wait as person at store. Another 10+ mins and another non English speaking person could not check us in although he eventually slid a bit of paper that had our last name written. Then a woman came who handed us a key & said we could check in at the end of our stay. Could not tell us breakfast hours. The room was no better. Only towel for 1 person, looking in bathroom morrow could only see top of my lip the mirror was so low. The outlets were so old and loose that nothing I attempted to plug in would stay, all fell out. Unfortunately we had reservations for two nights. Stay down the road at the new facilities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple