I had made reservations at the Bavarian Inn for the second half of our Black Hills trip after reading several positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Imagine my surprise to see the new owners featured in a local TV commercial for a bank concerning their loan experience. The new owners have been working on refurbishing the place - our room had already been redone. The rooms have unusual French doors with built-in Levelor-type blinds. Be aware that that means the rooms will light up somewhat with the morning sun. Each room has a small table with 2 chairs; we watched a storm roll in one evening with a cup of coffee in our hands. The only drawback was the rather firm mattress - not quite up to the level of our 2 previous Holiday Inn hotels.
The staff are friendly and willing to give hints about local attractions, roads and eating establishments. There are two pools - one indoor and one outdoor - and a tennis court. Also a laundry and a restaurant next door. Breakfast in the morning features cereal, yogurt, frozen fruit mix and waffle irons. The main improvements to breakfast would be bread and a toaster and real coffee - Douwe Egbert machine coffee is not real. (I went back to the room and brewed another cup in the coffeemaker provided in the room - which also had a microwave and fridge.
There is no elevator, so ask for 1st floor if you have mobility problems. There are three buildings - 2 face the office/pool/breakfast room and the back building overlooks the outdoor pool and tennis court.
After spending time in Keystone, Hill City (where we stayed a night) and Custer, Custer is the best of the three for using as a home base. The shops seem a little less schlocky, there are more "real" restaurants, a nice brewpub, and Crazy Horse is a short drive and Custer State Park is just down the road the other way.
The Bavarian Inn is a great place to stay while seeing this area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a picturesque mountain resort setting, the Bavarian Inn, Black Hills offers 64 rooms, suites, and jacuzzi rooms. Amenities include flat screen televisions with HD programming, free high speed wi-fi, indoor/outdoor heated pools, hot tub, tennis court, playground, fitness trail, on-premise laundry, daily cookie happy hour and a free pancake bar for breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Bavarian Inn, Black Hills reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bavarian Inn Motel & Restaurant Hotel Custer
- Bavarian Inn Motel And Restaurant
- Bavarian Hotel Custer
- Bavarian Motel Custer