“Great family stay in South Dakota”

Bavarian Inn, Black Hills
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our family of 5 stayed (3 teenage boys) thoroughly enjoyed our stay. My only regret is that it was only 3 days and 2 nights. The location was perfect for getting everywhere we wanted to go, including Custer State Park, Mt Rushmore and even Devils Tower. Highly recommend this as a starting point. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Yes, breakfast line was long- so what. We would wait for it to shorten and go back. Also enjoyed being able to relax at a small table outside our room and the outdoor heated pool was perfect in July. Wallpaper in the bathroom had a small tear, but again, so what. Beds were comfortable and suite room was big enough and was quiet even though ours faced the highway. Being able to sit at a table outside the room was also great. We would definitely stay here again. You can't go wrong for a convenient, economical place on vacation.

Room Tip: Queen suites are large, have 2 queen beds with a sleeper sofa and 2 chairs with a small table on an...
3  Thank Onyx2008
Sherry B, Owner at Bavarian Inn, Black Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you so much for choosing to spend your vacation at the Bavarian Inn. We really appreciate your business and we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for Bavarian Inn, Black Hills

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at the motel last week, and probably started planning our family holiday to South Dakota in April. I really laboured over where to stay, wanting to be close to the various attractions, but not wanting to pay a fortune for accommodations, anticipating busy days out on the road, visiting everything the area has to offer. A comfy place to hang out in the evenings and a pool and breakfast were high on my list. This hotel delivered on all 3 points.

Rooms were very clean. Beds were comfortable and linens were clean & fresh. We had 2 queens and the room still felt spacious.

There are 2 pool areas which my kids thought was 'awesome'. Both pool areas were clean, and well-maintained, and the kids loved the tennis courts.

Breakfast was a real pleasant surprise! Very well-stocked assortment of breakfast items including: waffle station, fruit salad, yogurts, cereal, juices, and good coffee. The coffee and tea station were open all day --- which is fine unless you run across to make a quick cuppa and get caught on the other side of the parking lot during a hail storm!!! Also, try to enjoy breakfast outside on one of the side-patios. To our surprise there were few bugs outside and it was so nice to eat outdoors and plan our day.

Also have to note, staff were pleasant and so available. There was always someone about the property watering plants, tidying up and checking in with guests. Only made it to 'cookie hour' once with the kids but that was a treat! Brush up on your singing skills if you want to go back for seconds ....'C is for cookie...'

Overall, totally recommend this hotel. Close to all the local attractions, and we felt so welcomed by the kind & thoughtful staff!

Room Tip: Main floor rooms made packing/unpacking car easy, but we did have heavy walkers above our room the l...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Sherry B, Owner at Bavarian Inn, Black Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Your Welcome. Thanks for choosing the Bavarian Inn. We really do appreciate your business and am so happy that you were able to enjoy the facility, the free coffee & tea and the Cookie Happy Hour. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel was located well for seeing the nearby monuments and local attractions. That and the fact of the German element was why it was chosen as the home base for our group's visit.

Some may feel the place is outdated. To keep in line with the name 'Bavarian Inn, I wouldn't expect it to be. The staff was most pleasant and helpful. When my reservation was changed to the second floor instead of first as requested, it was upgraded and one of the nice desk clerks carried my luggage upstairs for me. I could not have done that on my own.

What a joy to step outside with some coffee to view the early morning view through the trees and feel the crisp air, even though it was July. They have free fresh made cookies and milk in the afternoons, along with a pretty decent complimentary breakfast.

The internet was most temperamental for most of the time I spent there. Overall though, that isn't why I was staying there so it didn't ruin my stay. Most definitely I'd stay there again, although I'd need the a/c to be colder to sleep exceptionally well. What can I say, I must have it quite cold to sleep all night. Then again, I was on the second floor and flew in from Florida.

Room Tip: Units on the front side definitely do not hear noise from the outdoor pool and picnic area, which is...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

We loved hearing your thoughts about us in your review. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I loved how you describe our pleasant and helpful staff. We all take great pride in serving our guests.

We are in the process of upgrading our guest internet to insure that we meet expectations in all areas. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We loved the location of the Bavarian Inn, close to Mt. Rushmore and our eastward travel. We stayed on the first floor in a "deluxe queen" room (2 queen size beds). We were able to park our car right outside the room, which was convenient for unloading and loading the car. It was also convenient for trying to turn off the alarm system on the car when we got absolutely hammered by a hail storm!

We could hear all the noise from the upstairs room, but our neighbors were considerate and we were able to sleep well. Our room was quite large, with a table big enough for us both to use our computers. There was a small bistro set outside our room, but the aforementioned hail storm prevented us from having our evening wine out there. Kids seemed to be enjoying the pool, and there are tennis courts. There are also several washers and dryers for guests to use. I gave up trying to get a consistent wifi signal.

The breakfast room is quite large, but it was crowded when we went there in the morning. The coffee machine wasn't working, and apparently the waffle maker stopped working, too. There was a good variety of food for breakfast, so we ate and then went into town to find coffee. It was nice to have fresh fruit, and the pastries looked delicious.

We enjoyed our stay (not the hail so much). It was a funky break from the usual chain hotels. I'd definitely return.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms won't have as much noise from your neighbors.
1  Thank AnnaSoo

Thank you for your business and your review. We really appreciate you. We apologize for the inconvenience with the weak wi-fi signal. We are in the process of upgrading our system to meet guest expectations.

We hope to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Well located to seeing the nearby monuments, this is a great place to stop for a short stay. Clean rooms, helpful staff, but Internet is over a temperamental satellite link -- we had no internet the two days we stayed there. This was vacation, so minor inconvenience using my phone for emails and quick web searches.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

It was great having you here as our guest. I am so sorry about your trouble with our internet. We did have an access point that was knocked out due to a storm recently. This problem has since been corrected. In addition, we are working on a faster, better, guest network. Thank you so much for your comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights on July 21 and 22, 2014 during our recent trip to Custer. On the plus side, the hotel has easy access to crazy horse, custer, and custer state park; the rooms are huge; the beds are very comfy; the staff is extremely nice; and the pools are wonderful. My kids particularly loved the amenities. On the down side, our shower curtain was covered in mildew stains which was a huge turn off though the room was otherwise very clean. The hotel is dated. The breakfast room and selection was very small. Honestly, I could live with all of that. But the biggest problem was that there was a very bright light right outside our door that stayed on all night which the blinds on the doors did little to block out. I woke up several times both nights thinking it was morning because the room was so bright -- only to discover it was the middle of the night. I did not sleep very well either night because of that lighting issue.

1  Thank KentuckyLauren

Thank you for choosing us for your recent vacation. We appreciate your business. I am so happy to hear that your service was great and that your family enjoyed our facility. I would like to personally apologize for the soiled shower curtain. Thank you for making me aware. We have taken the time to inspect each shower curtain to insure others are not disappointed in the same way.

We listen to feedback and make improvements based on guest feedback. We are currently researching room darkening options for the glass double doors on the Deluxe Building. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We visited Custer to see Mt. Rushmore & Custer State Park on our way to Yellowstone. The staff was amazing! Super friendly! Our room was very clean & comfortable. Our kids had plenty of things to keep them busy at the hotel. Swimming, tennis, swings. The hotel will mail your postcards for free & they have free fresh baked cookies every afternoon. The restaurant is a must visit. The owner was on top of staff. Food was great! I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: top floor provided less foot noise
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and recognize the amazing staff. We appreciate you very much and are so happy you chose to spend your summer vacation with us. I'm happy to hear that your family enjoyed your time at the Bavarian Inn. Cookie Happy Hour has become quite popular, thanks to reviews such as yours.

We hope to see you again soon.

Bavarian Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
#2 of 12 in Hill City
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 13 in Keystone

Been to Bavarian Inn, Black Hills? Share your experiences!