“Great location and great place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bavarian Inn

Bavarian Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Custer
Oakdale, Minnesota
“Great location and great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

A friend recommended this hotel to us. We loved it. It's a great central location to stay to visit the sights in Rapid City, Custer, and south in Hot Springs. Plus the elevation is a bit higher in Custer, so the temps were lovely there as opposed to the sweltering temps in Rapid City at the same time. The service was first rate and the food was very good too. Our family of 5 would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Sherry B, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Thank you so much for your great review of the Bavarian Inn. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience. It is reviews such as this that moticate and inspire the entire team to continue to give great service. Thank you so much for your patronage. We appreciate you.

Marcel & Sherry Wahlstrom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

The staff was extraordinary...it was like having travel advisers on site. All you had to do was tell them where you wanted to go or what you were interested in and they practically designed you an itinerary! I loved the outdoor pool....it was so warm and refreshing to swim outdoors at night. The room was very nice, not modern but who cares when the other amenities were so great!
It was very quiet even though the place was full. We will definetly stay there the next time we make the trip.

Room Tip: Balcony room with one bed for two is great.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sherry B, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
We just love your review of the Bavarian Inn. Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the extra time to write your review. We look forward to seeing you again.

New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

The rooms are dated The bathroom in particular The staff however they are really really nice everyone is pretty accommodating as well and I mean they pretty much charge you for all the amenities that they have well the location so well I think that it is overpriced it's also a decent place to stay

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ToffeeCookie
Sherry B, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
We really appreacite your business and your kind words about our friendly staff, Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed on July 27, 28, 2014. Visited Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore. Had been having trouble finding rooms in what seemed like every town we stopped in. I decided to call ahead. Anyway had a choice of two types of rooms, regular and deluxe. Chose the latter because I wanted an upgraded room. Was quoted a price with AAA rate. I inquired about the neighboring town of Keystone and the their pricing. They told me Keystone was higher, so I said I'll take the room for at least one night possibly two. I inquired about the price of the second night. I asked if the Monday price would be cheaper than the Sunday price. The price will be the same, I said ok, I will let you know when I get there. Arrived to an older place that has been very well maintained. Stayed in room 204 in the deluxe wing. Girl at the front counter was super helpful and we talked about the second night. I explained to that I wanted to see what the room looked like before I decided. Inquired again about the second night. Was assured that the price would be the same as the first. Long story short, got to the room, loved it, ate at the adjoining restaurant, loved it too. Very accommodating family oriented hotel. Cleared clogged drain in tub right away, had coin laundry room with free soap, beach, softener etc. Great touches that made you feel at home. Never tried the free breakfast, but heard it was great. The next day they came to the room and asked if I was staying, I said sure, do you want me to come down and pay. They said that it was not necessary. I could settle up the next day at checkout. Ok, sounds good to me. Went to Keystone and noticed that almost every hotel had a big banner, $49.99 per night. Hmm. Didn't stop to find out what the prices would be for three in a double queen room. Figured it would be a little higher than $49.99 plus I liked my room enough that I felt it was worth the $155.00 I spent. The day we checked out I was a little surprised when I found out that my second night was $186.00. I asked if they had forgotten my AAA discount. She said no, it's thirty dollars higher because of Sturgis bike week. Oh, ok. I learned something new. Get the price in writing the first day. I thought that I had been perfectly clear not only on the phone but also upon check in that my second night would indeed cost the same as the first night. Live and learn. Were the rooms cheaper in Keystone, who knows. I did enjoy the hotel. My two sons enjoyed the hotel, so I would consider staying again if I were to come back. It really is a nice place and they work to a very high standard in keeping the rooms and grounds looking nice.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rick L
Sherry B, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, 26 September 2014
Thank you so much for choosing the Bavarian Inn and spending your vacation dollars with us. We really appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is not your average hotel, but one that's a throw-back to yesteryear. The rooms are very basic and set up motel style with only two floors and you have to carry your luggage up the stairs as there are no bell hops or luxury services. But it is clean, quiet, and has one of the best German restaurants I've ever eat in. It's a bit tired and could use some updating, but what it lacks in modern day amenities it makes up for in charm. Like the little German rubber duck with a beer stein on the towel in the bathroom. The breakfast is continental and a line forms before the "dining room" is even open. It takes forever to get through the line because of the do-it-yourself waffle maker and coffee that takes a long time to brew each cup. With new ownership I'm sure there will be some good changes, but I hope they keep the awesome food and the apple strudel which is, by far, the best (and largest) dessert I've ever had.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 2dtrav
Sherry B, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, 28 May 2015
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your business.

Big Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Guess this place has new owners and they are making changes. The staff seems to be really nice and helpful. The pools are nice but if you have young children that can't swim, bring a life jacket because there really isn't a large shallow area. 3 out of 4 clothes dryers were broken which was annoying but the staff were wonderful and dried my clothes. Really nice place, beds nice, shower nice, mini fridge and microwave in room. We saw lots of deer crossing the road and a flock of turkey right in front of the office area. I would defiantly stay here again and would like to see what the new owners do to this place.

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank critttergittter
Sherry B, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Bavarian Inn. We appreciate your business and your review. I would like to personally apologize for your frustration with our guest laundry. It is our goal to have everything in working order and ready for you. We are currently seeking bids to upgrade all of our guest washers and dryers. I can assure you that this is being addressed. We look forward to seeing you again.

Bavarian Inn
Rockville, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have stayed here three times in the past ten years. We go out of our way to stay at THIS Inn. The original owners who we grew to love sold it after 38 years a few months ago. The new owners haven't had time to put their stamp on it yet but I have some suggestions: Keep the atmosphere, the beauty of the surroundings, the caring staff. Update the rooms, the air conditioning, the interior lighting and the number of outlets (we all have too many electronic things these days and need more outlets). Add some protein to the breakfast. Keep the onsite restaurant. The apple strudel with ice cream is to die for. The prices there are fair and the food good & not over priced.

Room Tip: This is a classic old world hotel in the Black Hills of South Dakota. They have a great rep. but hav...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sherry B, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us. We really appreciate your business and hope that you noticed all the landscaping updates that have been done this season. As the new owners, it is such a pleasure to meet returning guests. As we move into the winter season, we look forward to continuing to upgrade the property. Please don't worry; we have grand plans for the food and beverages operations of the Bavarian Inn.

Your feedback is so valuable. We hope to see you in 2015.

Sincerly,

Bavarian Inn Owner/Operator
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Holiday Inn Express Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
The Lodge at Mount Rushmore
Gold Camp Cabins
Gold Camp Cabins
#14 of 17 in Custer
BEST WESTERN Golden Spike Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone

Been to Bavarian Inn? Share your experiences!