“Worth the hike:)”

Cathedral Spires Hiking Trail
Ranked #8 of 38 things to do in Custer
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We ventured on this hike with a 9 year old and a 4 year old. It was fun, great exercise, and some of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen!!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Short Trail. Worth the hike. It was cold and rainy the day we visited, but we hiked to the top anyway. Wish we could have seen the view, bu the hike was good anyway.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

During a brief tour of the monuments, the Holiday Inn Downtown staff recommended Needles Highway, where we discovered Cathedral Spires Trail. We came across this delightful surprise when unsuccessfully trying to find Wind Cave. Approaching from the south, sharply rolling hills turn into towering spires that resemble stalagmite-like candle wax dripping along the side of a bottle, presumably inspiring the name, Needles Highway. We came across two precariously narrow one-lane tunnels, a motorcycle entered what was designed for the anorexic. There are several parking areas along Needles Highway, including the CS Trail. In near 100-degree heat last August, I walked amongst these towering "needles," ever mindful that gravity is non-negotiable for loose rock fragments. These phenomenal natural rockscapes have forever sewn up my impression of the region.

5  Thank DeanMurphy2020
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We wanted a nice moderate hike our our last visit to the Black Hills and found the Cathedral Spires Hike. Pretty easy most of the way - a short area had some rocks to get over - but was easy elevation gain and about 2 miles round trip.

It was fun to be out among the spires, we stopped to watch climbers on the rocks marveling at their skills. It is fun to get to the top - you'll know you are there when you see the sign on the tree that says "End of Trail"!!!

Our only complaint is signage at the bottom could have been better showing us that we could have connected to some other trails a little more than halfway up. Oh well, next trip!

4  Thank skycolorado
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I did this trail and it was great. Starts out flat, then you start the slow, steady march upwards. At one point near the end of the hike, you have to climb up and around and onto huge rocks, so some upper and lower body strength will help to get you there. I did wander off-trail when I missed one of the blue markings and knew pretty quickly that I was not somewhere I was supposed to be. Hardly any other people on the trail (it is early fall, very light visitor population).

4  Thank rmwhitt