All reviewshunting lodgehot tubfront porchcharcoal grillblack hillsopen roommet johncuster state parkbrewed coffeecool nightcozy cabinsmickelson trailqueen bedtwo blocksthe main draglarge porchceiling fan
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We just got back from 4 nights in Custer. We were there the weekend after the big "buffalo roundup", and the town was pretty much shut down...so we had the Motel and the town pretty much to ourselves.

The cabins are very clean, tidy and cute. Our cabin was quite small, but since we had no intention of spending our waking hours in the cabin, they were perfect for us. If you want anonymous Residence Inn lodging, this place is not for you. If you want friendly hosts, quaint cabins, comfortable beds, excellent location, and awesome pricing, this is your place. Ann and John were most gracious and willing to take the time to bring us up to speed on what to do and where to eat (very limited since the tourist season was over). Custer is centrally located to everything we wanted to do, and our choice of lodging worked out perfectly.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #3. if you plan on spending much time in your room, you may want to try a little bigger cabin.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kyhMN
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The owners are lovely and very helpful. I made enquiries by email before I booked and got replies straight away and Ann was very friendly when I made the booking by phone.

When we arrived we were made to feel most welcome and they told us lots of information about the area.

When I asked about recommendations for dinner for a vegetarian they not only found a menu for a local restaurant to show me but phoned another to ask what they had. Ann also leant me her own kettle so I could make up the hot chocolate I had bought with me as there were only coffee machines available to guests which don't boil the water.

The cabins were small but cosy and clean and excellent value during the off-peak seaon. The only downsides were the ladder up to the bunk area (I stayed in the Bunkhouse - cabin 10 - the others don't have this feature) which made it difficult to make use of the table and the tiny size of the bathroom.

It is a very quiet location with deer nearby but only a short walk to town and the only noise at night was the fridge which woke me up a couple of times!

I would recommend staying here as a great base to visit the Black Hills, Custer National Forest and Mount Rushmore.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank voyager50
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The Shady Rest Motel is perfect place to stay if you are on a budget. The rooms are nice and clean and it is located off the main drag so you hear no traffic. It is close enough to walk to the grocery store or other business. It is nice having a kitchen so we could eat some of our meals there and the coffee maker was great also. The owners are very pleasant and told us about Mount Coolidge, which we had driven by the other day. She was energetic and full of great ideas. We stayed in cabin 7 and it was cozy. It does have a sleeper sofa but I couldn’t image more than two people staying in the cabin because it is rather small. Behind the cabin is a hill/mountain to climb that is gives you a breathtaking view of Custer. This was the best place I have ever stayed at and hope to come back some day. I would not stay anywhere else but Custer as it is central to everything we wanted to see.
Here is my first video of cabin 7. There is also a tiny tv that I did not get. The couch is dated but I don’t think they still make sleeper sofas anymore and it was very comfy.

Room Tip: Book ahead to ensure getting a room as it does fill up fast. There was vacancy at other motels like the Rocket but there was no vacancy here while we stayed in Custer.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KansasKelli
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We stayed for several nights at this location while we traveled to all of the Black Hills attractions. Custer is an excellent place to stay. Lots of restaurants, laundry mat and shopping. Our cabin was super clean and the wifi service was excellent. W would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank coldfeet52
Reviewed 12 September 2012

This was a great experience. The cabins were super clean, and the owners were always close at hand if we needed anything. They suggested things for us to do that they had personally experienced as a family with children. Great value and service for the money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family