All reviewshunting lodgehot tubfront porchcharcoal grillblack hillsopen roommet johncuster state parkbrewed coffeecool nightcozy cabinsmickelson trailqueen bedtwo blocksthe main draglarge porchceiling fan
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We just spent three nights at the Shady Rest Motel and loved every minute of our stay. From my first phone call with Ann to make the reservation to being wished a safe trip from John as we were packing up the experience was personable and wonderful. Our family of five stayed in the Bunk House. My boys loved sleeping up in the loft and my daughter was perfectly comfortable on the bed that was made from the kitchen table. Yes, the cabin is very small but it was comfortable and clean. The location cannot be beat. We loved that it was off the main drag by a block yet we were able to walk everywhere we went from dinner to the grocery store. The kids also loved that there is a little park right across the street and I appreciated that I could just sit and our little deck and keep an eye on them from there. Not knowing what to expect I booked three nights at the SRM and three nights at another hotel in town to split our trip just in case the cabins were miserably small. I have to say that I was sad to leave the cabin for the bigger hotel today because we enjoyed it that much. Next time I would stay there for our whole week!

Room Tip: Check out the room diagrams on the website to see what cabin works best for your group.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Danielle P
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed one night at the Shady Rest Cabins on our way through Black Hills to Yellowstone. It was a lovely experience. Ann greeted us a check-in and gave us great advice on how to spend our evening. She was extremely friendly and made us feel right at home. The cabin was clean, though a bit tight on space for our family of five. That was fine because we were just there for sleeping, not to hang out in the cabin. The kitchenette was handy for breakfast in the morning before heading out to the next step of our adventure. It's a family friendly place with nice accommodations.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

So glad we picked the Shady Rest Motel for 4 nights during our Black Hills vacation. Our cabin was clean & comfy, spotless bathroom, comfortable bed, the kitchenette was handy since we could have a leisurely breakfast before venturing out for the day in a quiet neighborhood away from the bustle of Main Street. Would definitely stay here again and will recommend to family and friends. Thank you Ann & John!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 22 May 2013

What a wonderful place. The term Motel does not do it justice. The cabins are spacious and comfortable and have full kitchens and everything you need. If something is missing, Anne will lend you her own (like a slow cooker). Charcoal BBQs are available for every cabin. Site even has an outdoor hot tub (free for guests) Five minute walk into centre of Custer and a few miles from Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse etc. A long way from UK but will go there again.

Room Tip: If you are a large group ask for the hunting lodge. A few dollars more but well worth it. Lots of room. I think it sleeps eight in two private double room (one en suite) and two queen beds on upper floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Although this was for a stay for a few nights on 7/30/12 I'm writing this now as the hosts and cabin was wonderful.

First, the most important part of communication. John and Ann were fantastic in their interpersonal skills and communication back and forth on email with questions. No question was left unanswered and we had a good amount. John's patience over the email questions was great. That set the tone for us, and we knew this was a place we wanted to stay. We arrived with our family of 5 with 3 large guys and 2 women. Unit #6 worked great for us. There was a small kitchen with small appliances, and a small table. It worked fine for breakfast and for a few dinners. There is a big old fashioned farm style sink in the kitchen which we all loved! Deep sink was so nice. We had a full size bed and a fold out sleeper futon style sofa by the main living area, and a separate bedroom with a full or queen (don't remember) size bed. The bathroom was up to date, and the wooden walls seemed to be in brand new condition. The cabin was in very good condition. There was a roomy porch outside where you could sit. Being it was located on the end on the far left we had plenty of room to park our large SUV and it was quiet being partially behind the office. There was A/C in the unit for the summer, but it was not really too hot and you could open the windows.

John and Ann were wonderful, friendly, and easy to talk to/personable hosts. They knew where to go in some of the parks when we asked questions. I felt comfortable, safe and welcome. It's important when you converge with a group that you don't feel like you are inconveniencing anyone. I'm so pleased to say I felt 100% welcome, and they were so sweet.

If you needed extra towels, or anything, you could simply go to the housekeeping cabin and ask for it there or catch Ann in her rounds.

Towels were a little thin for us tall people however, there were extras provided to make it easy to dry off.

Shady Rest Motel cabins are very simple and it's not a fancy hotel. However, they are very clean, and the bedding is clean. We loved the simplicity and rustic feel. There were no musty odors or anything that that would be an issue for me. It's close to most all Custer activities and sightseeing. I loved the hosts, the cabin and the surrounding area.

Room Tip: If you have a family of 5 and like to spread out, I would try for Cabin #6 or larger with full kitchen.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family