“The BEST motel we have ever stayed at.... that says a lot...”
Review of Rocket Motel

Rocket Motel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We are avid road trippers... and we have stayed at hundred of motels and hotels... this motel by far is the best.... we left 3 hours later than anticipated to Mount Rushmore. We had reservations at a major hotel chain about 40 miles or so up the road, but by 2am i needed some much needed rest. I was hesitant about pulling in because of previous experiences. However, from the moment I woke up the owners to the check out the next morning It was an amazing experience. They greeted me like i was welcomed there and treated us like we were part of the family... in a good way.... I still feel bad about waking them up... but glad I did. They had soap and shampoo there as well as a microwave and mini fridge at no extra cost. The entire facility was very well kept. The room smelled clean and was in fact spotless! the beds and pillows were so plush and soft... and OMG the towels!!!!! the were fluffy and soft... YUP!!!! definitely staying here again... Heck the kids are already asking to go back to Mount Rushmore just so we can stay here again!!!

Room Tip: number 25 has private parking, very spacious and 3 beds!!!!! 2 queen and 1 twin...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank RoadtripQueen75

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

This is a very nice place. It's simple, reasonably priced, clean and the owners are very nice people. It's kind of a retro motor court style, nothing fancy. Very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again. I also appreciate that they are pet friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank jotoho
Reviewed 12 March 2014

You have to stay here. We ended up here on accident and I'm so glad we did. We ended up staying for 5 days. Very clean, beds are so comfortable, cute 50's style but very up to date. Great water pressure, microwave, mini frig. Close to Custer state park and crazy horse. Owners are so kind and very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank CosmosJeep
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We so loved this motel, one of our favorites from our 19 day road trip! The owners are great, beds are comfortable, atmosphere is so fun, bathrooms are large and I don't think we found a better deal anywhere!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank pelhamqueen
Reviewed 10 January 2014

They had extra pillows and an extra blanket in the room, which I appreciate. There was a fridge and microwave, which is unusual for such a low price. The Queen bed room was newly remodeled and very nice. The owners were great. They offer discounts at a couple local dining places. All in all, not bad for less than $60! I agree with bikegem that there was a weird smell to the room but it was not too bad and we got used to it.

Room Tip: The queen bed rooms are remodeled and more modern.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mountainess78
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Super clean, very affordable, very impressed with this place. For the traveler who is on a budget, this place is a great find without compromising the joys of more expensive places. Privately owned, with personal attention you won't see at one of the chain hotels. Location is right in the middle of Custer, making all the downtown restaurants and shops easily accessed by walking. I will stay at The Rocket every time I come back to Custer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Kickbass
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I would have given this motel 789 stars except for one thing…..The good things are that it is run by a gentle and kind man, and the rooms are cleaner than any room I have ever seen (including my own home!). It is a step back in the past and the owner is so helpful.

My only concern, and I say this with hesitation because I liked the property so much, is that the laundry detergent they use on their bedding has a strong smell that I found offensive. It kind of smelled like the fabric softener sheets people use and it was up my nose all night. I do have a sensitive sniffer so I thought it might just be me, but it bothered my husband's old nose, too. With all the allergies folks have now, I would suggest the owner just get a new detergent.

Room Tip: They are all good. Custer is a small, quaint town and you will really have a great time there.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bikegem
rocketmotel, Owner at Rocket Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

We are so sorry that the laundry detergent was to strong for you. We are changing are soaps so they are not so offensive. Thank you for choosing the Rocket Motel. We hope you will try us again.
God Bless, Don and Brenda

Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Gold Camp Cabins
#13 of 18 in Custer
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Bavarian Inn, Black Hills

Been to Rocket Motel? Share your experiences!