“Pleasantly surprised!”
Review of The Roost Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Custer
The Roost Resort
Ranked #12 of 24 Speciality Lodging in Custer
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We stayed here Memorial Day weekend, May 28 - 31. The five stars are not because it is a five star resort, but because we thought it was so great for the extremely affordable price and the thoughtful attention to detail.

When we checked in the owners were very helpful and made suggestions of things to do and told us a bit of history about the area. For the most part we didn't see them other than to wave until we checked out, which is how we like it. We saw deer right in the front yard as we were checking in. We would have enjoyed the camp fire pit out front, and the Adirondack chairs, but it was just too darn cold at night when we were there!

We stayed in Cabin 5, a two person cabin just across the entrance road from the office. I don't recommend this location during the busy season, as even with only a few people there, we could hear cars going in and out of the campground early in the morning. You could also hear some road traffic when sitting outside, but not a bit inside the cabin.

The cabin itself was clean and cozy. The owners are super friendly and have thought of everything you might need to be good guests and still be comfortable. They put out a stack of "dirty jobs" rags so you could clean up mud, wipe off the car windows, etc., without messing up the good towels. They even had a nice clean tin can by the stove, with a paper towel under, so that you had a safe place to put grease drippings! I know, that sounds weird, but I really appreciated the thought even though we never used it. We turned off the heat whenever we went out and the place heated up quickly when we turned it back on in the evening.

I really liked the location, just east of Custer, because we wanted to spend time in Custer State Park and it was one of the closest accommodations outside the park (and vastly more affordable than anything in the park!).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatFromMD
There are newer reviews for The Roost Resort

Reviewed 15 July 2011

We really liked our cabin #10. It had two separate bedrooms and a pullout couch, kitchen with cook top, nice deck and table on back to sit at. Lots of deer around to see. Kids liked the swing. I looked at the camping spots that they had and felt they were good too - just a few and set overlooking a big field which always had deer in it. It was just off the main road, but back just enough to not really see or hear traffic. Hosts were nice, only saw at check in and check out, which is the way I like it, lol. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We stayed in a cabin from 6-4-11 to 6-11-11. I can not say enough on how wonderful this stay was. First I had to cancel my reservations due to being laid off at work. I then foungd a job and was able to reschedule my vacation with Susan and Frank. They were very understanding and happy for me. When we got to the cabin it was very clean. It had a full size bathroom with a tub/shower in it. The little kitchen had a sink, 3 burner gas cook top,refrigerator and microwave. We used this 2 times per day and saved a lot of money. This was also some of the best meals we had as the restaurants in the area were ok but not great. Now let me say the beds were the best. I have been in a lot of hotels over the years in a wide range of prices and this place had the best beds ever. I slept great. The owners were very helpful with suggestions of where to go and how to get there. While we stayed in the black hills we needed the a/c and heater. When the heater did not work they gave us a space heater that was more than enough. They did this so strange utility workers were not in our room while we were not there. The only problem I had was the location in custer and that it required a lot of driving to get anywhere. But I figured this would be the case when I chose the roost resort. I would definately return!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 7 April 2010

We loved staying at these cabins. We were in #5. The price was right, $68/night. The cabins are located right outside the town of Custer. It is on the highway, but protected from the highway by a beautiful stand of trees. It is very quiet. The cabin was clean and had a small kitchen. It contained a stovetop, but no oven. There was a fairly large refrigerator, toaster, microwave. Each cabin has its own grill and picnic table. There is a common area in front of the cabins with several fire pits and chairs. Would highly recommend these cabins to anyone. Frank, the owner, gave us good advice on hiking trails. Make sure you take the walk behind the cabins to see the view. It is so beautiful!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2009

I have been staying here since I was a small child and have always loved it. It is very relaxing and the scenery is great.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeeRay69
Reviewed 8 September 2009

This is a wonderful place to take your family! Quiet, Clean, peaceful! I highly recommend this to anyone! Will return again soon!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Our family stayed at the Roost for 2 nights in July 2009. The hosts were cordial, but not overly friendly. They answered all of our questions, and were efficient at check in. We stayed in the "family cabin" #9, which had a nice kitchen, private bedroom for the parents, and a "sleeping loft" for the kids. The kids LOVED the loft. A word of caution re: the loft, however. I would not recommend it for anyone other than elementary school aged children. It truly is a small space. One cannot stand up in the loft. An older child would not likely fit on the mattresses (camping mattress placed on the floor), and a younger child may have difficulty managing the steep ladder up to the loft. We saw many deer on, and around the property, including 3 that passed by our campfire at night. Kid heaven!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank candy2k
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
Holiday Inn Express Custer
Best Western Buffalo Ridge Inn
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 13 in Keystone

Been to The Roost Resort? Share your experiences!