“The Best Hotel in Filzmoos”
Review of Pension Wieser

Pension Wieser
Ranked #19 of 28 Filzmoos B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2014

It has a charming old fashion air about the place,Elizabeth who runs it really cannot do enough for you,her English is excellent as is the food which is all cooked on the premises ,
Walls are very soundproof. Rooms are cleaned to a very high standard.
There is a very large welcoming reception room with an open log fire,

Would never dream of staying any where else when in Filzmoos,

My hearty congratulations to Elizabeth for such a well run welcoming hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 April 2014

If I could have given this pension 3.5 stars I would. It’s not quite deserving of three stars but four seems quite generous. While there is nothing particularly bad about this pension there are just minor things that affect the experience.

Pension Wieser is run by Elizabeth who is pleasant but nervous about speaking in English. Her English is fine but she struggles a little if you speak quickly.

As a solo traveller I was given room 24 on the second floor which has a single bed, as the room is too narrow for a double bed. The room was clean and comfortable, although the bathroom was so small that I had to move the shower mat out of the way each time so that I could open the door to enter. No soap or shower gel is supplied but the towels are changed daily.

The walls of the rooms are very thin and you can here other people flushing their toilets during the night. Although my room overlooked the Grossberg station I had no problem with the piste bashers in the mornings they were out. I’d rather be awoken by piste bashers knowing there’s snow, than know silence indicates a lack of enough snow (first week in March).

There is quite a nice choice at breakfast of cereals, yoghurt, fruit and hams but this does become a bit boring by the end of the week.
The evening meals were modest but rather bland. They were edible but not once did I find myself thinking ‘that was a great meal’. The starters were always soup and the desserts were generally mousse. With average portions for the main course I found myself still slightly peckish after supper on a few occasions.

Pension Wieser has no bar and only a small communal area with around seven chairs. There isn’t really anywhere on site to lounge after a long days skiing. There is a sauna and table tennis room in the basement but the sauna was extremely small and the table tennis bats have seen better days.
There is free WiFi but although your device will show a connection throughout the pension, the actual connection will only work in the ground floor communal area (and occassionally in the dining room).

The location of the Wieser is handy for the ski bus and the Grossberg chairlift but the other lifts are at least 100 metres away. As the runs are extremely limited the distance between lifts is annoying.
The ski bus travels to neighbouring resorts Flachau and Flachauwinkl as mentioned in other posts. The tourist board covered the cost of the bus for the week I was there as the runs in Filzmoos were so poor that only two runs were open (the Grossberg closed during the week). As mentioned in other posts the bus only runs on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

There is also a taxi service that will take you to other resorts carrying a maximum of 8 people. With full capacity it cost around €15 each for a return to Schladming (which has a much larger ski area and is covered by the area pass).

Although there were no major problems with the Wieser, the resort (although picturesque) is very limited and maybe better suited for hiking with skiing as an afterthought. A great resort for beginners but anyone above that I’d recommend trying somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Truckerami
Reviewed 4 January 2014

After arriving around 4 hours later than planned (12:30a.m.) at Elizabeths Pension, we found our room and a lovely plate of hams, cheeses and pickles with a basket of bread to greet us. The room was spacious, airy and spotless with the bathroom on par with. We were made to feel very welcome the next morning by Elizabeth and the varied breakfast buffet was enough to gear us up for the day. Dinner is a taste of Austria and delicious everytime! The location is absolutely ideal for all amenities; nowhere is far at all. The supermarket at the bottom of "town" is a mere 5-10min walk. Our room (26) along with 5(?) others share a balcony that's directly in front of the Grossberg lift and Schischule area. The "bashers" DON'T make that much noise, but, if it does seem loud -tip of the day- close the window! We stayed over X-Mas and, on X-Mas Day (24th in Austria), were treated to an early evening get together with other guests, for carols sung by her sister and niece and where we were all given a token gift by Elizabeth - which speaks volumes for the lady. I will agree on the soap and tea/coffee facilities front but on the face of it, Elizabeth and her team of friendly girls and guys are a shining example of what Filzmoos is all about; friendliness and value all round! If it's homely you're after, you couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lyndon E
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a weeks skiing. Elizabeth and 'Briggy' make you feel very welcome. The food is excellent Austrian fare, cooked and presented well. There is not a choice of dish at dinner, but we both enjoyed everything that was served. The rooms are spotless - maids come in every day - and warm. The bathroom and shower are well appointed and practical, I agree with a previous review that a small bar of soap in the bathroom would be good. The boot-room is heated and airy. The sauna is small, but during our stay we were the only people using it. Location couldn't be better, opposite the bus stop and chairlift and a few minutes walk to the village.

Room Tip: I've noted that some guests were disturbed by the piste bashers at the front of the hotel. This...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank petejones
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

Elizabeth is very welcoming, is clear about times for breakfast and dinner and provides ample, well cooked food. The rooms are lovely, ours looked out over the slopes. Others have moaned about the noise of the piste badgers but I thought it was fascinating. This is not a 'plastic' anonymous hotel, it is a small, friendly home from home in one of the best locations in the village

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Marian W
Reviewed 13 January 2013

there are too many negatives that outweigh the positives. The Pension Wieser is fantastically located for the ski lifts, ski schools, ski bus stop and at the top end of town so within easy walking distance of bars/shops etc with marvellous views so it scores highly on this aspect. It is on the main road and friends within our group who had rooms at the front complained of the noise from the 'piste bashers' that operated into the early hours and the snow ploughs which would start at 5am clearing the car park opposite. The rooms are warm and clean and the showers are fantastic, however they are poorly equipped : no soap, small towels, no drink making facilities or hair driers. We used the sauna three times during the week and can recommend it after a days skiing. One of the main reason's we booked this guesthouse was because it advertised within the Inghams brochure as catering for 'gluten free' dietary requirements as my wife is coeliac. Regretfully this is not the case: either the owners don't understand the coeliac condition or they can't be bothered to offer gluten free food. On more than one occasion my wife was presented with a plate of food which she couldn't eat yet the staff clearly knew of her dietary requirements as we told them upon arrival and our booking documentation reflected this. After complaining to the staff, we ended up being 'shunned' by the owner. This led to very uncomfortable meal times for not just the two of us, but also the rest of our 9 strong group. I have to mention, as others have done on this site, about the Austrian allowance of smoking within public areas and especially in this guesthouse. The communal lounge area is at the foot of the open staircase which leads to the to guest room floors so cigarette smoke permeates to all levels - simply unacceptable to those of us who live and work in smoke free environments. In summary, it would take a few small changes to lift this guesthouse into a great place but it would take a change in attitude on the part of the owners before this happens.

Room Tip: Top floor corner rooms are furthest away from cigarette smoke which wafts up the staircase.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank whittler
Reviewed 18 September 2012

What a wonderful two weeks we have just had. the rooms were brilliant and how many different arrangements of the duvet's and pillows they have. The food was great and plentiful and the staff very friendly and homely. They made us very welcome, in fact I run out of adjectives to describe this great pension. We shall certainly rebook for next year. The free bus pass that you get issued was a great boon and the free glass of wine with your evening meal a real treat.
I would recommend Pension Weiser to anyone looking for a fantastic place to stay

Room Tip: The rooms on the North side are adjacent to the road but night traffic was minimul and we were not d...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends