“St Georg”
Review of Hotel St. Georg

Hotel St. Georg
Ranked #25 of 39 Hotels in Mayrhofen
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Stayed here for a week with my two sons over Christmas. The hotel was warm- too warm at times but we had a lovely balcony and we just opened the window. There is a lovely pool with seats and view to the mountains.
The hotel is not in the certain of the town so a walk is involved to any other restaurants, ski lifts etc. After a few days we found a shortcut which brought us over the river to back of the ski lift.
There were a few points which took the edge off the experience. The room we had was comfortable and clean but very basic, not what I'd expect from a hotel at this price. The transfer bus couldn't get down the road to the hotel, so we were left to cart out luggage several hundred yards in the middle of the night. Not the hotel's fault but if I go again, I'd adjust my luggage accordingly.
The owners we found polite but unfriendly. However, because we were diverted on arrival to Salzburg , we were 5 hours late arriving. The hotel seemed to be unaware of the fact that we were delayed, so there was nothing to eat on arrival but the lovely waiter made us a three course meal at midnight. We had paid for it, I suppose.
Every night there was a five course meal and my vegetarian son was catered for, nearly. I say nearly, because they served him salmon one evening. The quality of the food was fair, not delicious but ok.
I'd stay here again though.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

This is a great hotel for couples or families who want to get away for either winter or summer activities in Mayrhofen. It was a 5-7 minute walk from the main tourist area and the cable car to the ski fields. The staff were friendly, the food was always great, and the pool was perfect for relaxing in after a long day of skiing. If you arrive by train, you will need a taxi, though it is only a short trip at 10€. The rooms were perfect in size and all of them had a small balcony. The shower is the smallish, plastic modular style, however the water was hot and the pressure just right. If we were to go back to the area I would gladly stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw (as there we were a big group with three rooms) looked fine. Because the hotel...
Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

We booked this holiday late in the season and ended up staying at Hotel St Georg because it was the only hotel left in the resort that could accommodate our group of 17.

Our family has been skiing every year for the last 10 years, but this is the only hotel we have all agreed to come back to. The hotel is modern but with a really warm, traditional, friendly feeling. From the moment we booked in, the hotel's owner greeted us and made us feel at home. The rooms are spacious, modern and immaculate, and it's clear the cleaning staff go the extra mile to keep everything so tidy.

At every hotel we've stayed in in the past, we've had issues with the standard of food. Several members of our group are very fussy eaters, and often have to order items that aren't on the menu. In this hotel, however, even the fussiest of us have praised the chef for the incredibly good quality cuisine.

The staff themselves are all very friendly and helpful, and did everything they could to accommodate our needs. We even had our own private dining room set up so that our large family could all fine together.

We were initially put off by the distance of the hotel from the main gondola but we found a shortcut that takes around 5 minutes, and there is a large Spar supermarket approximately 50 meters from the hotel entrance.

The spa and facilities are top quality and immaculate, the only criticism I have of this hotel is the cost of wifi which is the highest I've ever come across.

In summary, this hotel is undoubtedly the finest hotel I've ever stayed in, and I'll definitely be returning again next year.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I stayed with 14 others, including two children and one baby. The hotel is set about 5 minutes walk away from the centre of Mayrhofen. The hotel itself has a genuinely homely feel about it and the staff are extremely accommodating and friendly. The food in the hotel is absolute top quality, many courses of various dishes which can suit everyone. The hotel also has a great menu for children and fussy eaters.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable, they are cleaned every day and made to look like you've just arrived. There are large televisions in the rooms with a variety of channels to suit everyone.
The manager of the hotel is friendly and accommodating lady and really enhances the family feel of the hotel.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank danieljamesblyth
Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a week with my husband. It is a well run, family owned hotel and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was very clean and tidy. The rooms were cleaned every day, usually when we were at breakfast which was great. The food was excellent and freshly cooked. The dinner was four courses and there was a choice of three main courses, mostly fish or pork and a vegetarian option,which were always as good as that served in a top class restaurant. There is a barbecue once a week. The breakfast was equally as good: it was continental style but there was a large selection of breads, fruit, cheese, meats, cereals etc. There is a garden at the back of the hotel which residents can use. There is an indoor swimming pool but the doors can be opened to allow access to the garden so swimming and sunbathing is still possible. The hotel provides bath robes which can be worn to the pool. The hotel is about ten minutes walk from the centre of mayrhofen which is situated in a really beautiful and scenic location. Great for walking. Negative points: There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Wireless internet access has to be paid for and I found it didnt work very
well. The pillows were very soft which for me was very uncomfortable.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 5 April 2012

In general I enjoyed my stay at this hotel Food was good, room was fine and the location was nice and quiet .
What I didn't like was the transfer bus wasn't able to reach the hotel which meant you had to haul your luggage 200mtrs up hill to reach the hotel.
The Hotel has a policy of not serving Tap water with meals so after a long day skiing and you want to re-hydrate while dining it's going to cost you.
I normally will have a beer with my meal so it's not like they were not getting some payment for drinks but I will drink water as well, this is the first time I have experienced this on a skiing holiday and for this reason alone I will not be returning to this hotel. The friends we traveled with were also of a similar opinion. Change this policy and i would happily recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: There is a short cut from the hotel to the Penken Gondola which is only 5 min away.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Conor_IRL_1
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Plus: great spacious rooms, excellent spa, massages, nice quiet location only 10 min walk to main ski lift.

What disappointed us was the food: compared to other Austrian 4star or even 3star hotels we stayed in the food was unimaginative, the portions small and often seemed to be coming from the tin (salads). Breakfast was especially poor with items often running out quickly and not replaced. The presentation wasn't good and there was no variation in it at all and a lack of healthy options. Instead dessert leftovers from the previous night!
Like another guest commented - the whole setup seemed very obviously about making money.

Wifi access was expensive - a service that is offered for free in other hotels. Also the fact that bills have to be settled all in advance or in cash only was a bit offputting.
All these things would be easy to fix - which would then make this a great hotel: given the facilities and location.

• Stayed: March 2012