“2nd Summer Visit”

Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Mayrhofen
Kirkcudbright, United Kingdom
“2nd Summer Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Visited last week in June 1st in July mixed weather travelled solo, this was my second stay in the Sporthotel Strass and I was welcomed back. I have found all the staff without exception, to be polite, friendly and good at their jobs, many of them having worked for this family run hotel for many years. On arrival 8pm my room safe was not working and maintenance staff came and fixed this problem immediately. My single room was a good size, spotless, with flat screen TV balcony and beautiful views. (ask for a Finkenberg view). The food was good quality hotel fare, always very well presented and served, (no long waits between courses). The swimming pool is of a good size (long enough for length swimming) always open early morning for a swim before breakfast. The extensive Spa facilities are wonderful after a day walking in the mountains, and its great to treat yourself to a massage and beauty treatment again the staff are well trained, (I am a qualified Sports Massage Therapist). The hotel is centrally situated and Mayrhofen is a very good base, Austria is very beautiful, the people are friendly and I feel very comfortable travelling and walking here as a solo female. I shall be returning to the Sporthotel Strass.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Heather J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Derby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Late May and early June 2013 saw some very wet weather (with lots of snow on the mountains). This did not stop me enjoying my time in Mayrhofen and joining in on the excellent guided walks with Stocky. I spent more time in the hotel than usual and made good use of the facilities available, particularly the spa / sauna area. It was good this year to have use of the (free) WiFi :-)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank David G
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Central location,can be noisy at night, breakfast and salad bar more or less the same on a daily basis.
Dinner was ok plenty meat but no greens or potatoes. Been in 3 star hotels in Austria with better meals.
Mayrhofen in an excellent resort, the best we have visited in Austria so far and we hope to be back.

• Stayed July 2013
mariaantonette, Manager at Sporthotel Strass, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Dear “Shall not return to this hotel.”
We are not entirely convinced that this person was our guest at FUN & SPA HOTEL STRASS as we do not recognize the Dinner menu described.
The hotel Reception, hotel manager on duty and many departmental heads in attendance did not receive dissatisfaction notices in regards to any aspects of the hotel.
The hotel offers a lavish warm and cold buffet breakfast where the guest is invited to enjoy as much food and for as long as they wish between 7 and 10 AM.
The Evening meal is four course (three course for three star guest). Main course is a choice of three, one of which a vegetarian. All daily menus consist of locally sourced fresh produce including fruit and vegetables. Every evening a fresh salad and vegetable buffet is offered extra and as a compliment to the menu.
The Hotel/Resort located centrally on the main street directly next to the village gondola caters daily for more than 500 visiting guests in the summer periods. Many as ever returning, all enjoying the guestrooms, dining rooms, spa & wellness area, live entertainment, bars and theme nights. These facilities are promoted and offered on the website, brochures and all tour operator brochures – clearly indicating a lively and fun hotel.
Still a family managed hotel, we pride ourselves in sharing with you the hotel enjoys almost 12 months full capacity (very rare for any hotel) with continued requests for further room allocations. We are also recipients of many BEST HOTEL AWARDS and AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE from Trip advisor and Holiday Check . You do not have to take our word for these facts and figures, please feel free to verify them with the named organizations, British or international tour operator of your choice.
In reply to the declaration of none return – we are happy to offer the vacancy to one of many appreciating clients on our waiting list.
Thirsk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful week at the Strass during June 2013. The hotel is in a very convenient location, the facilities are excellent and all the staff were extremely helpful and cheerful. There was live music in one bar each night but the adjoining but separate lounges are so extensive that you can choose to sit in an area enabling you to enjoy the music at a volume to suit your taste!

I must mention the food in particular which was absolutely first class and the best we've experienced in our many holidays in Austria. I have a dairy intolerance and become quite ill if I eat any milk products whatsoever. I mentioned this at dinner on our first evening and from then I was served with a delicious variety of beautifully presented non- dairy food at every course. I soon became confident that the chef had taken my intolerance seriously and I cannot thank him and his staff enough for their attention to detail and for allowing me to totally relax and enjoy my food for once. I was quite prepared to miss out courses which were not suitable for me but where necessary I was served with a delicious alternative for every single course! Amazing!

We were holidaying with friends and the Strass kindly seated us together. It was their first trip to Austria and they were well impressed!!!

Many many thanks Hotel Strass

Gill W

Room Tip: We had a Junior Suite which was a good size and included a ablcony, bath and separate shower
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gill W
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I had a single room with a nice balcony and view of the mountains. There are three buildings, I stayed in the main building and it was really nice. The other buildings are connected via skywalks so the only inconvenience would be a few extra steps to get to the restaurant and spa. The spa is amazing if you're willing to bare it all. Really though, once you take the plunge it's no big deal. They're in the process of building a new spa where suits can be worn but there's no way it could be as nice. The location is right on the main street, although at the end of most of the shops. Unfortunately, Mayrhofen does not have a pedestrian area but if it did it would be on this street! The location is even better in the winter since the lifts are right there. The front desk staff was awesome and everyone spoke English. My only complaint was that I would try and speak German and they would reply in English! I got the half board (breakfast and dinner) which is a great deal. The breakfast was you standard European continental breakfast with the addition of eggs, sausage and bacon. It was good but not great. They do their best to cook American bacon but come up short and the sausages were not to my liking. But as far as a European breakfast goes it would be rare to find any other in a hotel that's considerably better. The dinners were excellent. You get your choice of three entrees, usually vegetarian/pasta, meat and seafood options. The soups, appetizers and desserts were awesome and the main entrees were mostly good but never bad. If none of the three choices look good you can always get a schnitzel or something. Reserving a room on their website is confusing and it's not at all clear what meals come with the room so I found it best to email them directly. If I went back to Mayrhofen I would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We visited mid June and the hotel was in full bloom with flower covered balconies filled with every colour imaginable. The location is second to none being close to both the Ahorn and Penken cable cars and only a 5 minute walk to the train station. We celebrated our silver wedding anniversary whilst here and the staff could not do enough for us. Although we did not use the pool or spa facilities (hence the 3/5 score) they all looked very clean as did all the eating areas and lounge areas. The room itself was very clean and comfortable though when we booked through Inghams, we asked for a Junior Suite and what we had was just a standard room. The food was a la carte but don't be put off by that as there are 5 courses so you never leave feeling hungry. On two days i did not like the choices but our waiter told us that we could order what we wanted within reason so bear that in mind when viewing the menu. There is a well stocked Spa supermarket just across the street as well as a lovely little cafe (no tea and coffee facilities in rooms) All in all a very pleasant stay and one which we are looking to repeat in 2015.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We had a great deal for this holiday and a bonus was that all local transport was free on the weekend we arrived! We cannot fault the hotel,excellent on all aspects from cleanliness to the food.The choice for breakfast was very good and eating in the evening was like "fine dining" of the highest standard.All staff+the manager were very friendly
helpful,and we wouldn't hesitate to go again.

Ann&Andrew Price Hereford