“Excellent all round”

Alpenhotel Kramerwirt
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Mayrhofen
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed in the annexe for a week from 8th march this year. Initially thought the room to be a bit on the small side compared to hotels we have stayed in before, however this was short lived. Our room was spotless although you need to be aware the Austrian style twin beds were smaller than we have experienced but comfortable and perfectly suitable. The bells everyone keeps on about we're not an issue. Yes they do ring at 7 in the morning but eg all found this quite charming and as we wee up and out early to get the best of the snow conditions this was not an issue with us.the food was fabulous. You choose your evening meal at breakfast, starter, salad, soup and 3 options for main. Very good quality. We did eat out once as we did not fancy the main choice. Resort is amazing. Very hot when we were there 24 degrees on one day ! We skied all mayrhofen, sell an zillier, hintertux and kaltenbach all brilliant. Hintertux was amazing. We found the staff at the main reception efficient, however there was an issue early on in our week with late night revellers returning and thinking it was great fun to knock on all the doors as they went past. The annex does echo anyway. However mrs kroll lives in the annexe and was not impressed at all so she soon sorted it out. After an accident mrs kroll and her staff were tremendous in their concern and assistance. We were a party of 6 and would definitely go back and confidently recomend the krammerwirt and annexe.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank travel-queen0302

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel is clean and the rooms a good size. The staff are brilliant, especially in the restaurant. The breakfasts were a brilliant buffet and the food in the evening was super with a great selection each night. The only downside would be a very small letter box safe and the church bells ringing every 15 mins. I would recommend staying here despite those two small things.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wattsjo2013
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Good food, decor very Austrian but quaint, clean. Staff generally friendly. Some had a very abrupt attitude and were rude at times. I was with a friend who had a serious allergy and despite telling several hotel staff this was ignored to the point where he suffered a severe allergic reaction. The church bells are ridiculous; they chime 90 times (that's right) at 7am and 7pm and our rooms were adjacent to the church. No lie in! The bar was deserted because of the hideous music played repetitively by the nightly in house organist (even the bar staff moaned about him). The room was kept clean but had to ask for toilet rolls and hand soap several times - no soap for the shower? Ok hotel but to be honest I have stayed in better Holiday Inns for a fraction of the price. Would never stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank David M
kramerwirt, Manager at Alpenhotel Kramerwirt, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

It is very important to get the facts correct when making critical or positive appraisals about holiday accommodation home and abroad, whether for friends or yourself and to assist other travellers in their future decision-making.
Unbeknown to you, your friend informed us of his serious food allergy against garlic in plenty of time. Before each meal was served a member of our qualified staff checked consistently daily with the chef before your friend’s meal was put on his table. Unfortunately we were not informed of his allergic reaction to horse radish, which we had on the starter. Your friend suffered an allergic reaction, which was most unfortunate and we do apologize.

We have been catering for thousands of guests, agreeing to their personal likes and dislikes for decades. The large number of repeat guests prove our statement of being a family, friendly superb guest house. Your abrupt criticism obviously upset staff instead of contacting the right department.

Mayrhofen is a catholic region where church bells ring regularly. Many of our rooms are facing the church, some guests might be sensitive by church bells or street noise, some are not. Make sure that this is always a point when booking a hotel near the centre. In the mean time we have improved new shower gel dispenders, thank you for the suggestion.

Most of our guests appreciate the quality of our professional musician, of course, music preference is very individual. Each winter we have an English music-group called “Whiskey butler” playing for us 17.-24. January 2015 which is a diversity to our Austrian music.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

We love this hotel. We have stayed here for 6 years running. It takes some years to get a heart warming reception from the family but its there. We love the great quality food from the chef, the service from Tina is second to none and its a joy and comfort. We we put in to one of the suites on the 1st floor which was large, airy with a beautiful balcony and masses of space.

When we finish our ski at the end of the day we relax at the stunning spa on the 4th floor which is worth every penny! It made our skiing much better. Our friend is always working hard in the spar and its a real 5* experience.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the suites as its a large very comfortable room.. mattresses are not that comforta...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just got back from a ski holiday and stayed at the Kramerwirt, we had 2 rooms one single room for our 16yrs old daughter and a double room. They were good rooms very clean and they were a good size. Unfortunately we were at the side of the church, the bell to this church has to be heard to be believed, at 7am it rings approximately 47times so no need to set your alarm to catch the lift, and it rings ever quarter hour so if you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the other side of the hotel. The food was ok but not quite up to 4 star standard especially the breakfast. Then I left some money in a wallet in my jeans in my suit case, also some euros in a pocket, this was all stolen, we were told to go to the police, but the hotel manager did not even bother to come and see how this happened. The safe that we did use is so small, about the size of a double socket, you soon fill it. Overall the hotel was ok but spoiled by a thief, and it would have been nice for the hotel manager to come to the room and speak to us. The location is ok but a bit of a walk up hill if you have all you ski gear, although the ski bus does stop outside.
So if you want to use this hotel luck after your money.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms at the same side as the church,
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank edward h
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Kramerwirt for a week in early February. I can honestly say that we had a really lovely stay in this hotel. The food is lovely, plenty of choice and beautifully cooked. Service was also top class, we were looked after by Christian in the main and he was really nice, friendly, and helpful, he even sent us to another ski town down the road by train one day as it was expected to be a bit windy in Mayrhofen and we had an amazing day out (thank you again Christian). Room was very clean and wonderfully warm. The spa area is also lovely (if you can handle the no swimwear rule) and very nice after a days skiing. I know others have mentioned the bells from the church, they are quite loud at times but they do vary in volume and really add to the charm of the whole place, if they could cause you a problem sleeping (they are quieter at night) just bring some comfy ear plugs as that easily solves that issue. For skiers....Ski bus stops outside or the walk is a pleasant 10 mins up the pretty high street to the lifts. So If you are thinking of a hotel in Mayrhofen and like traditional Austria then you won't go wrong with a stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steveyoung1966
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The hotel is very nice and the food is excellent and I had a lovely time here and the majority of the staff are brilliant.

My issue with the hotel is that I came down with a nasty chest infection and was asking for hot water at the bar for Lemsip (or the Austrian equivalent) and this was very forthcoming 3 times. The Bar man then said he would have to charge me 2€ for hot water and I would need to buy a tea tray, I explained that I did not want tea, only hot water for my lemsip and that 2€ was outrageous. The Bar man then proceeded to run off to get the manager and I tried again to explain what I wanted it for and again was told by the manager I would have to pay 2€ for a mug of hot water. Lucky for me the hot water in the tap in my room was scalding and I could use that and told them so.

This is the only issue I had with the hotel but I have never ever been charged for hot water before in any other hotel, unless it was with tea or coffee. Maybe Kramerwirt, it would be worth discussing this with you guest instead of being very inflexible in your approach to hot water to a guest who was quite unwell.

Overall, I would go back to Kramerwirt, as apart from this incident my stay was very good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Raunchesque
kramerwirt, Manager at Alpenhotel Kramerwirt, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

I should like to thank you very much for choosing to stay in our family Alpine hotel Kramerwirt and for your positive comments about the organisation of our hostelry where we try to achieve high standards including the choosing of our international staff.
Unfortunately little problems do occur and we should like to explain the reasons for you being
charged for hot tea water: This is a general rule for any drinks ordered at the bar, wine, beer and hot tea water. The manager, Hansjörg Kröll who is not an expert in the English language should have explained that a flask of hot water is available in the dining room, free of charge, in the morning, if guests like yourself or families needing to mix various drinks for children during their stay. The flask can be refilled each morning, again, without charge.

We offer our since apologies for this incident which was obviously upsetting at the time without the correct explanation, and hope that you will return to our hotel to enjoy the family atmosphere, good ethos, and culinary delights of the hotel.

I am yours sincerely Mde Marika Kröll