“Amazing!”

Alpenhotel Kramerwirt
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Mayrhofen
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel is amazing and worth staying at. The welcome was nice. Food was amazing- I never felt hungry as there was something for everyone. Staff were friendly and could have a really good joke. In the evening there was traditional Austrian music under the covered terrace and it wasn't too loud and it stopped at 11pm local time.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank AzzaG11

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel was in a great location to the ski lifts, a short walk or the bus stops right outside. Staff where so friendly and food was excellent for a four star hotel. We where upgraded to a suite which looked over the town it was really good size with lovely big bathroom.
We really enjoyed the spa after a hard day on the slopes

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tiger_anne_10
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is a great hotel and it gets better every year. I have been coming to Alpenhotel Kramerwirt for some years now and usually stay there a few weeks at a time. I mostly take groups hiking in the mountains and have a great time. Things I like about Kramerwirt are:

1. The entire staff is great. It's like being with the best of friends. They are always nice and helpful when I need help with something. You should just try and ask them about various hikes and you will see. They really go out of their way to make you happy and it works.
2. I like the spa. As a Scandinavian I'm not bothered about it being all nude. I just enjoy hanging out there for a while as often as I can. It also doesn't hurt that you can buy a can of beer in the machine right outside the spa.
3. The food is great and the staff in the restaurant is amazingly attentive. It is not uncommon that someone in my groups has forgotten to mention that they need special food and the staff always do their best to accommodate those needs. I've also seen many situations where the staff is surprised by various demands and it just works perfectly anyway. You really have to work hard to bring them out of balance. It's also amazing to see how quickly they remember who is who in our groups even if we switch seats. The management and the customers must be really happy to meet such people.
4. The hotel organises nice excursions and have a few happenings a week. Those are always appreciated and nice.
5. I enjoy seeing the improvements made to the hotel every year. It seems that the owners are very dependable for doing their best.
6. I have never heard of a complaint from anyone I have taken here that was not dealt with quickly and in a friendly manner. I have even seen people acting unfriendly to the staff and still get nice answers and a quick solution back.
7. It's also nice to taste all the great things they make themselves at the restaurant in this hotel. You really get fresh products here and it's fun to hear where they got the ingredients from and how they did magic with them.

So, are there any bad things? I can only think of two things that can be annoying at Kramerwirt and those are:

a) some rooms are very close to the church and there they seem to ring the bell as often as they can.
b) the annex is very close to the Billa supermarket and I would guess that that could disturb someone. There has, however, never been one single person in all the groups I have taken to this hotel who has even mentioned any disturbances from Billa. I usually only hear that it's great to have the store so close, because that makes it possible to buy things there before we go for our hikes.

I really look forward to coming back to this hotel again and again and again. This year I've unfortunately only been there one week so far. Give them a try and listen to their advice.

Room Tip: It is nice to avoid staying close to the church tower. My room this year was close to the tower, but...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mike_Turnpike
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed with a walking group and felt welcomed from time of arrival till day of departure. Room was very clean and of larger than average size. Also bathroom was a good size with bath & shower facilities. The small hip-flask of Schnapps & the activity bag full of items for your days out was a nice gesture. Buffet breakfast had plenty of choice and the evening meals were good with some nights being of buffet style. Rucksacs & walking poles were available to borrow and we had copies of the local walking maps and other info for your personal use in our room. As you can gather we enjoyed my stay here and would highly recommend based on our own personal experience. We will return.

Room Tip: There is a church opposite the hotel near the front of the building which does chime its bells 24 hr...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank willowyman
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Do not travel in May as it is out of season. All is closed. The hotel room was great, shower not good. Breakfast good and diner great. The staff was just great. As it was out of season ,the staff bent over backwards. Thanks. Enjoy your stay. Mayrofen looks good. Pity all was closed.

Room Tip: Do not expect May to be bustling as May is out of season.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank normanrussell
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Lovely staff, fabulous live entertainment (the week we were there), sensibly priced drinks at the bar, spotlessly clean, excellent food....don't often return to the same place but we are going back to Mayrhofen next year and staying in this lovely, welcoming and atmospheric hotel without even considering anywhere else. p.s. the hotel includes a full area 6-day lift pass for the whole of the Zillertal valley in next year's prices. So, we won't be using any of the offers from the various tour companies and will be making our own travel arrangements.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Scoring my experience is hard ... I'd give the hotel itself a 4, possibly a 5 but our tour operator, Crystal, zero. Seriously, that's none out of five. Zero, zilch, nada, nichts. In the end I've gone for a 3 because it's unfair to penalise the hotel for someone else's disregard for customer service. If you're a couple and you've read up on Mayerhofen's location, you'll be fine. Better than fine ... the hotel is great, the food's good and the staff are lovely. HOWEVER...

Having been there I'm amazed that nobody seems to have mentioned the sleeping arrangements, If you are from the UK be very aware that if you book a twin with a UK tour operator you will actually be sleeping in a DOUBLE BED. We booked with CRYSTAL for 3 twin rooms for a group of 6 blokes. When we arrived we had 3 DOUBLE rooms ... the "twin" beds have a single bed frame with 2 single matresses in and a king size sheet across them. You get individual duvets but you are sleeping side by side. Try as I might I just couldn't get in touch with my "liberal" side.

We complained to both the hotel and the CRYSTAL reps ... the hotel staff were very apologetic and explained that every year they tell both Crystal and Neilson that UK customers complain about this on a very regular basis. Our Crystal rep didn't care at all. That's not "didn't know what to do", it's "heard it all before and really didn't care". We were told we hadn't read the small print (I thought that excuse died in the 1980s) and it was our fault for not booking carefully (so show me on the website where it actually explains that an "Austrian twin" means you're in the same bed - actually I'll probably still leave that to the lawyers). We asked to move and were fobbed off (resort full, pay extra - blah blah blah ... basically we were making the rep's extended holidays awkward). As soon as we asked for complaint forms they were visibly relieved because it gets them off the hook. We completed the complaint forms in the resort and further customer satisfaction surveys on the way home ... needless to say Crystal have ignored all our comments. Despite having numerous logged complaints we've not heard anything from Crystal.

We're still considering small claims court but what Crystal (and now Thomson) don't appreciate or possibly care about is that I will NEVER book with either again after this experience. Crystal may not care because our groups (yes, several) normally go to Morzine and plan our own thing (better and cheaper). Thomson, however will now be short of £6k-£7k per year from me because we normally do a couple of Platinum hols per year with them. Not any more ... I pay semi-premium to have a nice relaxing holiday, not for brats to patronise me and forget why they're getting a free season's skiing.

I reckon I've got another 20 years or more of fancy holidays in me and we've used Thomson for the last 15. This probably equates to about £120,000 of lost revenue at current prices for Thomson for the sake of a £1000 holiday ... enjoy your decline TUI.

For anyone not travelling in my sort of group and not booking through Crystal, Thomson Ski (or Neilson who do the same thing) book here, it's fantastic.

Room Tip: Great hotel for couples. Don't book here if you're a same-sex group or don't fancy bein...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends