“Total luxury and relaxation....”

Alpendomizil Neuhaus
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Mayrhofen
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Just returned from a fortnight at the Neuhaus and despit initial reservations following other reviews posted on this site-I was not disapointed. I would agree with the other comments that if you want guaranteed quality then ensure that you are booked into the main part of the hotel. In my opinion you get what you pay for at this hotel.
Our room was huge with a nice seating area and massive balcony. The bathroom had the biggest bath that I had ever seen with a lovely walk in shower and his'n'hers sinks. The balcony was also huge and had the sun until about 2pm. the maid who tended our room was very attentive and left nice little touches on a daily basis.
The meals were very nice, I especially enjoyed the half roast duckling-very tasty. The outside bar area was fantastic with very attentive staff, especially Rudi. I would recommend a night out at the Bruck'n'Stadl at the top of town . It's the Ziller valleys version of the beer festivla with great live music and lots of lovely beer....it is definately worth the hangover!
The pools and gardens at the Neuhaus were lovely and relaxing and great for topping up your tan after a hard days walking. I paid 36 euros for a weeks access to the Sauna area and I would definately recommend it as it was worth every penny.
Mayrhofen itself is a loevly place to stay with lots to do and plenty of scenic walks which suit all abilities. I would highly recommend this holiday to anybody-it was fabulous!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jewelsthecat

Reviewed 31 August 2009

I tried to book this hotel through Inghams but they didn't offer one bedrooms suites which we needed with two young kids, so I booked directly with the hotel and got a good deal with my 3 year old staying for free and my 5 year old being half price.

By far the best part of the hotel was our room (Domizil suite 'classic') which was fab - equal to the best of any 5 star hotel I've stayed in. The lounge was huge with a sofa bed for the kids, an armchair with footstool, a table and chairs, a lovely balcony with view south over the head of the valley, and loads of cupboard space for the kids clothes and toys. We had two bathrooms which were both marble and with stylish Hansgrohe (top of the range!) taps. One had a bath with overhead shower and the other had a walk in shower. There was loads of wardrobe space and a lots of coathangers for all our clothes.

But other than that, the hotel was distinctly so-so. I used to go to Austria when I was a kid and the hotel was like something out of the 1970s hotels I stayed in then. The public areas were dark and with clunky furniture. The indoor pool was chilly and the outdoor one (which was quite small) positively freezing, even during the boiling hot week we were there. The garden was pretty but the kids playground consisted of a few tired and mostly broken old pieces of equipment (although there's quite a nice indoor playroom). Instead we went to the town's municipal outdoor (and indoor) pool which was great (if also a bit chilly) - it had a long and fun waterslide, bubbles, a cave and a lovely tiered pool for little kids which my two loved. At the hotel there was a sauna area which we were told we could go into for free - but because not everyone could have it for free (depending on your room) it was locked and the lady with the key wasn't always there.

Obviously as a result of having one of the pricier rooms we were given a table in the best dining room in the hotel, which was wood pannelled with chandeliers and pink damask table linen. The other dining rooms looked a bit tired (with bright yellow linen) in comparison. Our waiter Andreas spoke good English and was very friendly and efficient. The food was OK, with special kids food, but I've had a lot better in Austrian hotels. There were no vegetarian options on the main half board menu (unusually for Austria). Andreas gave me a separate veggie menu with a special for each day and a choice of more standard stuff like pasta and omelettes. We were only there a week but if you were there for two weeks the veggie choice might pall after a bit.

The most annoying feature was the 'live' music in the bar. The bar was outside so we couldn't hear it in the restaurant, but our room was so hot at night that we had to have the windows open and could hear it, even though our room was some way away. It seemed to go on all afternoon and until late in the evening. I have no idea why the hotel has this. The bar wasn't particularly full and so it couldn't have been attracting customers, only turning them away I would have thought. It was a real 70s/80s throwback and just lowered the tone of the place. Also, for light sleepers, the hotel is near the church which helpfully chimes its bells every quarter of an hour all through the night. You can't hear if your windows are closed but if it's hot and they're open, you might find them a tad annoying - not loud enough to wake you up, but enough to remind you every fifteen minutes that you're still awake if you're suffering from insomnia.
Another annoyance was the internet access which you had to pay for and was only available in the lobby area, not in the rooms. Why can't hotels wake up and smell the 21st century?

Mayrhofen is a lovely village with lots of shops and cafes, and surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery. The hotel is near the station, which is handy if you come by train, but it's quite a long walk from the cable car/gondola stations. I wouldn't want to stay there in winter and have to trudge through town with my skis. We had a hire car and there was parking outside the hotel but it was always a bit tricky to find a space.

Next time I'm staying at the Sporthotel Strass which had a much better location right next to the Penken gondola and nearer the town pool and just looked a bit more up-to-date (although I haven't stayed there yet so can't endorse it!). The Neuhaus seemed to be stuck in a 70s timewarp. If they can update the rest of the hotel to the standard of our room then it'll be a lot nicer.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank rosiefromlondon
Reviewed 25 August 2009

This hotel is brilliant, but take on board what others have said and make sure that you get the main building. The only critcisms that I heard were about the rooms in the St Josephs Annexe which are due for a bit of refurb I understand.

Main + points -

- Staff are very helpful and friendly (try some German if you can, but they are very good at English)
- The place is spotlessly clean and I have never sen so much 'Shake and vac' in use
- The rooms (main building) are well furnished and comfortable
- The food is excellent and plentiful
- The gardens are lovely
- The backdrop is out of this world
- The whole holiday set up in Mayrhofen is brilliant and you'd have to be extremely fussy to feel under-occupied or relaxed. Local travel is very simple and convenient.

Main '-' points

- They only let you stay for as long as you have paid for!! We didn't want to go home.
- The entertainment was tedious, but they did well to entertain at least 4 nationalities with their own favourite hits for 5+ hours a day. A balcony overlooking the outside cafe can be noisy until 10.30 if you have kids, particularly the 4th rendition of 'Nu Yoyk, Nu Yoyk' or 'Blueberry Heel'.

Otherwise, absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Alpendomizil Neuhaus. Many of the locals told us that it had a reputation as one of the best 4* hotels in town.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank HolidayHungry
Reviewed 12 July 2009

we were with a group of friends in this hotel the rooms were very big we had a lovely balcony and it was nice to sit out on it and admire the flowers and lovely views the rooms were kept spotless and we had fresh towels every day the bathroom was very large with big shower and bath they food in the hotel was really good and catered for all palates we were served by a lovely waitress Claudia she was charming and efficient and added to the pleasure of our meals the hotel was a good base to do walking and the tourist office is just beside the hotel so we were able to get all the information we needed down side swimming pool was small and had many children running around it not what you want after a days walking no one appeared to be looking after them no lifeguard floor was tiled and very wet all the time

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Maire29H
Reviewed 30 May 2009

Stayed only for 1 night while passing through the Alpes. Could not fault the hotel. Staff were very friendly and efficent. I will certainly go back and try it in the ski season. About 5 minute walk to ski lifts.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2009

We both loved the hotel, the staff when on duty(finished by 22.30) were charming and helpfull,except when it came to changing our bedrooms because of the noise.The disco went on until at least 3.00a.m every night.Several requests to have it turned down failed.I got my bedroom changed by the 3rd night to a quiet part, but my friend had to stay put.It really ruined what would otherwise be the best hotel,best situation to the slopes and without doubt the best food we have had in any half board hotel deal.Ask for quiet rooms and have a ball!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Grannyo87
Reviewed 27 January 2009

The good stuff.
Really enjoyed this hotel. Our room was on the third floor with eaves but was spotlessly clean and had a large floor area. The food was very good with a good choice of main course and an ample buffet selection.

Our waiter (Georg from Crete) was very friendly and attentive and a real ambassador for the hotel. Lovely pool area with loungers looking out over the mountains and great place to relax with a book. The hotel can accommodate circa 400 people, however the numerous nooks and crannies give it an intimate feel and many stylish and antique curios were scattered around the public areas.

Although located at the lower end of town, the ski buses stopped just outside the door.

The not so good.
There was a boottleneck at breakfast with only one cook to cater for everyones' cooked breakfast requests resulting in a five to ten minute wait in line some mornings.

All German speaking channels on TV apart from BBC Prime.

Conclusion
Definately stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone looking for a wee bit of luxury and TLC.

Stayed: January 2009