“Noise in room terrible.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel DIE SONNE

and 1 more site!
Hotel DIE SONNE
“Noise in room terrible.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Room lovely nothing to complain about, reception area fine. Staff friendly. Not tried food yet. But we are in an ajoining room and I can here the guests in the room next door breath, the dog in the corridor bark and am very cross. As this is the first year we have stopped going to kids hotels to get away from kids noises with our teenager, but am in a room next to 2 small kids and they are not being quiet. My room at the kids hotel was quieter. You cannot have a four star hotel with no insulation in the doors so you hear everything. The parents are not even talking loudly and you can here them.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank VTP2004

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

We (a couple in their 30s with a 2 year old toddler plus grandparents) had a lovely, relaxing stay at Hotel Sonne in Saalbach in July 2013. I rate the place very highly for any active family looking for somewhere to stay in this part or Austria. Why?

1) beautiful hotel. It is clearly a historical building that has enjoyed its location at the foot of the mountains for a while, and entering the lobby area with the open fire makes you feel welcome from the very start. However, this classic 'gemütlichkeit' combined with the contemporary, newly renovated room interiors brings an aesthetically pleasing atmosphere to the place. For a little extra €€€ we upgraded to a corner suite and we were very impressed with the quality of the finish, both in the living/bedroom area as well as the bathroom; the grandparents were equally happy with their double room.

2) food is tasty. The hotel offers an alternate buffet and served dinner to guests, and although we were slightly worried (food in Germany and Austria *tend* to be on the salty side) in the end that was unnecessary. The chef tries to make most of the local ingredients. The only disappointment was the kids' buffet, which mainly consisted of some kind of carbs. I guess my son is in the absolute minority of kids who like fish and vegetables, but still it would've been nice to have had some other options than chips and cheesy pasta.

TIP! If you like fish, cross the little creek and walk along the water for about 5 mins towards Saalbach town and stop by the trout farm. They not only allow you to fish your own out of their pond, but prepare them freshly for you. The magic sauce inside the trout is to die for, and the trout itself was one of the best I've ever had on the grill!!!

3) location. For those who want to be right in the town centre, it isn't for you. It is about 15mins walk. But there are many walking options directly from the hotel (just ask staff) and from any room you look right onto the mountains as you're in the valley.

4) perfect for kids. The hotel run a wonderful kids programme, which includes a trip up the slopes on one of the kiddy friendlu lifts and a hike down. The hotel grounds are equipped with a garden and an outdoor playground as well as a small but nice indoor pool. I believe they are in the process of building an outdoor pool, but have mixed feelings about it as it isn't warm enough for outdoor swimming most of the year and it'll be at the expense of their big grassy playing field where I saw boys enjoy ballgames until dusk. Really lovely to have this outdoor space that is shielded from the nearby road and is therefore safe. I guess the hotel owners are a young couple with a small boy themselves so they will hopefully continue running the place with families in mind!

5) wellness and spa. Now, my husband and I have been to many spas across the world... And we like a variety of styles. But it is no exaggeration that this hotel has one of the most tasteful spas we've ever been to. It is situated on the upper floor of a side building, and is entirely made out of wood and decorated with natural materials such as stone and antlers. There are 3/4 saunas and steam rooms and the relaxation room has waterbeds with an ipad. It isn't huge, but has everything you need.

There is a hidden Kneipp garden at the back of the building where one can walk through and on various stones and waters of different temperatures, which is meant to be good for blood circulation and general wellbeing. Definitely worth having a look!

All in all, a very pleasant, relaxing holiday venue for anyone looking to get away from the more urban parts of the world!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mrsdelpiero
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

My family and I stayed for 10 days in June and could not have been happier with our choice. We did have high expectations based on Tripadvisors reviews. You cannot choose wrong when choosing Hotel Sonne. All employees take great pride in making you feel special, starting from arriving the hotel until you check out. Reception, waiters, kitchen and cleaning.... All do their outmost to insure you have best vacation possible. Lets just say, if you do not end up getting just that it will not be because of Hotel Sonne and staff. Not only the hotel deserves high praises but also the "Sonnenhaus" where you can relax while choosing between different types of wellness. Only thing missing is an outdoor pool but this is already on the drawing board so we hope its ready for when we return in 2014. Naturally this is only an issue in the summertime. That said, if you have never thought about the alps in the summer..... Start doing so :-)

Room Tip: Go for the Kohlmais type rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BjornJacobsen
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

We stayed here for one week 16 to 23MAR13. My parents and my wife and me enjoyed the skiing week we passed here a lot. After residing in the Zillertal for many consecutive years we thought it would be time for a change. With my parents coming to an age where skiing becomes less of a sport but rather a relaxing part of week's holiday we were looking for a more blue/light-red area. Saalbach-Hinterglemm Leogang is just perfect for that. Wide pistes that are not crowded and one can easily cover 30 to 40km in a day. Several mountain restaurants where you can have a perfect meal, not only the catines.
One comment sometimes heard on the skicircus.at area is that some of the elevators are not of the latest generation but don't let that put you of, they are more than comfortable enough. Most elevators are perfectly run and even have seat heating. An advise that I would have for the region is to keep on preparing the lower central slopes in the afternoon with their Pistenbullies, especially in the warmer part of the season.
The hotel you ask? Ah yes, almost forgot.
I would advise you to book directly as the hotel reception does know their hotel best (of course). They can then take your requests into account. And they will. What kind of pillows, blankets, room type etc.
We booked a 4* hotel and we got something that felt like a 4*superior. Every meal was delicious, most things made fresh in the hotel eg. croissants, bread etc. The eggs in the morning are top class, made bespoke for you. The breakfast buffet made me go back 3-4 times. At noon we ate on the mountain. At 16.00 you van have some soup and some snacks for free. In the evening it is every night something different on the menu. We enjoyed everything, the four of us.
I read somewhere in the comments that the owners are somewhat arrogant; this is complete nonsense. What you see are 2 young successful good-looking people with 2 young children, working very hard to continuously improve their hotel and their family at the same time, one can only respect that. Personally, I enjoyed every contact with them. They are abundantly present. I wish them the best of luck.
The service of the reception is perfect; the girls always have a beautiful smile (yes, I am a man), always willing to help. No question we had (and we had some) was left unattended.
The ski room downstairs has heated lockers that open with your room card. Everyone his own place to put the skies, no change of stealing them perfect.
The hotel is not perfectly situated, 10 minutes walking distance from the ski lifts. How do they solve this? 2 Vans continuously travel between the hotel and the lifts. You can stop skiing at any time anywhere in Saalsbach or Hinterglemm and call them after which they will pick you up. We never had to wait longer than 10 minutes, which with a Weiss Bier in the hand is more than ok. I would advise the small après ski place at the bottom of the Kohlmais bahn, you can even ask them to call the hotel for you to ask for a pick up. Just perfect, there is no better experience.
The wellness is perfect, we enjoyed it daily, and next year they will enlarge the swimming pool area as well.
I think that tripadvisor etc brings a lot of stress to many hotel owners; but not to these guys as this is the best forum to congratulate them for the wonderful job they are doing and reward them with 5*****! Well done and thank you.
We will back!

Room Tip: I would definitely go for the new type of rooms. When you book directly you can ask for them. The tr...
1 Thank Rico_Antwerp
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

This hotel is brilliant! The staff couldn't have been more efficient or friendly, the food was magnificent and the facilities first class. From the beautifully clean rooms, to the fab ski lockers, to the relaxing (and reasonably priced) bar, to the free on-demand ski bus, to the fantastic food in the restaurant, to the free kids club, to the amazing spa and swimming pool......it was simply first class! Thanks so much for an amazing holiday!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

I just got back from a great holiday with my dad & brother and we were so impressed by this hotel!

The staff are fantastic at this hotel. From the receptionists to the bar to the dinner hall and the cleaners. You will always be greeted by a smile and a warm hello. At dinner Susi and Herbert served us every evening and there service was perfect. Herbert would always remember what drinks we would have which was a lovely touch!

The food was brilliant and evening though I am not used to 6 course dinners, this was a real treat and the food was always delicious. Breakfast was vast and there was a lot to choose from and you were left a nice welcome leaflet in the morning informing you of the weather for the day a head and dinner for the coming evening.

Ski boot room was genius, after breakfast when I came down to get my boots on they were already heated in the locker. Then you would walk up the stairs to be greeted by a driver ready to take you in the free Sonne mini bus to the Shattberg. It was like clockwork

The spa is another review in itself! WOW. I love the chillout zone, where you have water beds to relax on with Ipads. You have a log fire in the middle of the room and makes you feel so at ease. It was very busy after ski time (to be expected) so I always left a little earlier so I could enjoy the spa when it was more quiet.
They also have free drinks in the spa that you help yourself too, fantastic.

Anyway the hotel has everything you would need in a ski holiday.. and more. I noticed that they had some plans on the wall showing they are planning to build a pool and hot tub outside! So in that case I will be back next year!

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

My wife and I, together with our 10 year old son stayed at the Hotel Sonne from 9th-16th March 2013.

We read the reviews on trip advisor before we booked and were happy to go ahead as virtually all of the reviews were full of praise. We were a little sceptical as surely all of the reviews couldn't be this good!

I can safely say that the only people that got the reviews wrong were those that didn't give this hotel 5/5!

We have stayed at many hotels in Austria and throughout Europe, including many 4 and 5 star, and we have never stayed at a hotel where the staff have been more friendly and helpful. They were knowledgeable, enthusiastic and couldn't do enough for you, and all with a warm smile. The owners regularly engaged in friendly conversation with guests during the evenings, making everyone feel so welcome.

The hotel was impeccable, with everywhere being well maintained and spotlessly clean. The bar and lounge areas were warm and comfortable with completely separate smoking area, the restaurant spacious and well laid out and the spa was relaxing with numerous facilities and treatments on offer. We enjoyed lovely massages, including with honey and hot stones! There's a pool, hot tub, steam room, sauna, relaxation room all available for the whole family, as well as a 'naked' area for adults only! There are even free to use iPads available!

As well as the spa, there was plenty on offer for the kids with playroom for youngsters and wii and pool room for the slightly older ones.

The ski room had individual lockers with boot warmers.

Although, not central, the hotel is only a lovely 10 minute walk into the village centre with its ample facilities, bars and restaurants. The ski buses stop directly outside the hotel and run every few minutes into Saalbach and Hinterglemm giving easy access to the enormous, modern and well linked ski area. Plenty on offer for all abilities both on and off piste. HOWEVER, there is no walking or ski buses necessary! The hotel runs shuttle buses to and from any lift you like both in the morning and afternoon. Even if you fancy only half a day skiing, or a trip to the floodlit pistes just arrange with reception or give them a call and they will pick you up!

Our room was a spacious and modern, yet traditional double with superb ensuite facilities, large balcony and every other comfort you would expect from a quality hotel.

The food was magnificent. The choice at breakfast was unbelievable from salmon to cornflakes and honey fresh on the comb to bacon and eggs cooked to order, omelettes, poached, fried.... And absolutely every breakfast combination I can think of! There were plenty of après ski snacks and cakes, well more another buffet really with the selection! The 5 or 6 course evening meals were varied and delicious with choices of main course including vegetarian and options for kids.

All in all, it is virtually impossible to find fault with this hotel. You couldn't wish to find a better hotel for your ski holiday. We have only been back a day but are already trying to rebook for next year.

Book the hotel Sonne you will really find it hard to find anywhere better!

Room Tip: Our room was perfect and was just a standard double. They have all been recently refurbished. There...
1 Thank Joe R