“Great for ski in, ski out and wonderful food. Tiny, tiny room/bathroom”
Review of Schmittenhohe

Schmittenhohe
Ranked #41 of 43 Hotels in Zell am See
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Great for ski in, ski out and wonderful food. Tiny, tiny room/bathroom”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

My title says it all. I was there the first weekend of Feb 2013 in room 306. The location is wonderful for morning skiing -- but weather wasn't so cooperative for us as it snowed non-stop for 72 hours reducing visibility in the early morning. The room was definitely one of the smallest I've ever stayed in. There was one chair in a corner, a TV atop a schrank, and another schrank for hanging clothes/jackets. The bed was quite comfortable. The bathroom was tiny with no room to move about. As another poster stated, the entire bathroom was pre-fab plastic. Weird but it did work albeit being so, so small. The water in the shower in the mornings was pathetic. Very little pressure and it constantly changed temperature as many others, obviously, were showering at the same time. Food at breakfast and dinner was very good and included in our rate of Euro 87 pp/pn. While boot and ski storage/warming was available, it was difficult to move about the ski storage area as it's very narrow. There's another boot area up one flight of stairs that I used with no problems.

While the ski in/out option is nice, you're "trapped" at the top of the mountain at night with no options. I was with a ski club/friends so this wasn't a show stopper but if you're alone or just with a spouse/friend it may get a bit claustrophobic. I thought all the employees were very helpful and friendly and most spoke quite good English. Our bartender, Marco, in the upstairs bar was very friendly and helpful. Bummer that the hotel serves only Kaiser bier which is one of the many really poor Austrian biers.

Tiny room/bathroom, great location for ski in/out, great food and employees. If I were to return to Zell am See (not with a ski club) I would definitely not stay here again due to being trapped atop the mountain. With a club it's okay with many friends.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bar (room 104 is directly next to a bar) and try to get a room where you can actu...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelmeisteren

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We had the amazing opportunity to stay at the Berghotel Schmittenhohe which is located when you get off the cable car at the top of the Schmittenhohe mountain range. The food is outstanding (try the locally sourced mushroom soup), the service is fabulous (Tomi and the chef looked after our every need) and the views, well SPECTACULAR!

We had the whole hotel to ourselves, Tomi set out a beautiful white linen table clothed table with handpicked flowers overlooking the Grossglockner mountain range - slowly as the sun goes down, you watch the mountains change colour. Directly next to the Berghotel is a popular paragliding launch area - you can sit there throughout the day watching up to 80 paragliders jumping off the side of the mountain - amazing.

If you want to stay, ring ahead in the Summer months to check its ok as rooms are normally only available in winter - if you get a chance, stay in one of the rooms overlooking the Grossglockner mountain range with balconies, or ones looking out over Zell Am Zee.

A hidden gem but one definitely to share!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony overlooking the Grossglockner or Zell Am Zee.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We were given a room in the old section and I agree with the previous reviews that they were very small. The hotels best feature is it's location, and I found the restaurant/bar staff very friendly and efficient. The view makes it worth the stay, but the recent renovations should have put more thought into the ski storage room, it is so narrow and crowded. If you stay at this hotel be sure to ask for a room away from the bar if you want to get any sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room in the renovated section.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Despite what other reviewers write, I'd say the experience and relative convenience of staying on top of the mountain was quite enjoyable. The limitations are obvious, so don't stay there if you don't like being constrained to the gondola schedule. The views from the hotel, the ability to ski before breakfast, and the hospitality of the staff all made for an enjoyable experience for me and my brother. I'd definitely stay there again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Our room was tiny, especially the bathroom. Our sink overhung the toilet. Pretty spartan there was nothing in the room except a bed and a TV: no phone, no hairdryer, no mini bar, etc. the restaurant was nice, and the bar was fun, but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank RichmondViaAtlanta
Landstuhl, Germany
Reviewed 4 March 2011

From my experience at Shmittenhohe I believe that they do not care about thier customers because of the location on the mountain. This place has a monopoly and they know it! It is at the top and is ski in ski out. That was about the most convienient thing about this hotel...but only from the morning hours until 16:30 SHARP!
That is when the last gondola rides to the hotel from the bottom of the mountain. You must be very very precise in timing your ski day or you will be left.

Upon arriving at Schmittenhohe we were greeted very rudely by a scolding front desk receptionist who informed us that since we missed the first night (due to car trouble) our rooms were given away. We eventually were offered rooms but were reminded several times by the receptionist that we were "lucky" and that our friends were "liars" for saying they informed the hotel we were on our way. The receptionist continued to defend herself and the hotel by saying that she "is not stupid". We accepted the rooms for the same price orginally booked. One of the rooms was a triple and obviously in a new part of the hotel. The views were beautiful. The other room (where my husband and I stayed) was extremely small and old. The carpet was very dirty. The bathroom was literally a plastic shell like you would find in a trailer home. When I took a shower the hot water ran for about 2 minutes and then went out. When I say went out I mean did not come out of the faucet...at all. At this point I was so frustrated with this place we just went to dinner.

After dinner we went to the bar upstairs for a beer. I handed the bartender my credit card and it was promptly thrown back at me with the remark "This is NOT America". Apparently the hotel has a 30 Euro minimum on credit card charges and there is no ATM on the mountain. This would be a nice fact to know. As far as the America comment goes, everyone in my group has lived in Europe for years and has never had a problem with using credit cards.

Upon checking out we were "greeted" by the same rude receptionist who again reminded us how "lucky" we were to receive the rooms.

I would recommend this place for a quick beer and maybe lunch during a ski day at Zell. I would not ever recommend staying here...especially if you are American as it is obvious they are not fans.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank TravelingTwo_ELF

Travellers are raving about these Zell am See hotels

Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Where do I begin....This was the first time we have every stayed at the top of a lift and I would not recommend. The limiting factor was obviously the lift times. They stop running at 1630, therefore, you have to coordinate your ski day appropritely and pretty much end your day by 1530 pending where you are at on the mountain. With that being said, the views were stunning.

Now, let me begin to tell you about our weekend. There was a group of four of us that intended to meet up with friends that were on a ski bus of a ~45 people. We had originally tried to get on the bus tour but there was no room left. Therefore we intended to meet everyone at 2300 at the bottom of the mountain where they had arranged for the cable car transfer. We were saddled with car trouble before we left town (had to replace the batter, which put us 1 hr behind which we made up the time on the road, had a flat tire which the donut forces us to drive 80km/hr, and then got pulled over by the police for a broken headlight) that prohibited us from being able to make the cable car transfer. We attempted to contact the hotel several times with no luck. We were in contact with several friends on the bus who relayed the message to the hotel that we were not coming that night but will arrive the following day. Our friends informed us that they let the front desk know about our issues in which he made a note for the morning shift, our friends again reminded the hotel staff two more times that night. The next morning, they reconfirmed with the morning hotel staff and said we would be arriving later, they were then asked again, by the same woman after breakfest if we were coming and then again at lunch they were asked to reconfirm. Well, after being stuck in several traffic jams, we finally made it to the hotel at 1400 only to find our rooms had been given away. We asked if she was not told by the tour group that we were coming. She said no one had talked to her and no one had been in contact with us, which clearly was wrong. She then said she would kick the other guests out of our reserved rooms and give us those. We did not feel it was appropriate to ruin their vacation so we said we would stay in one room presuming they could provide a roll away bed and discount the price. She said that was fine. Well, the room provided was tiny. The bathroom was about the size of something you would find on a train or boat and not sure where a roll away would fit. Either way, we decided to hit the slopes. We got back and I went to ask if we could get more towels and when the rollaway would be in the room. The same woman at the front desk told us there was a cancellation and we could have another room. We were grateful, but after talking to all of our friends and hearing the events of the previous 12 hrs, I asked why she said no one had told her we were still coming in the first place. She then said all of my friends are liars. I asked her if she was really calling all of them liars and she said yes, that she is not stupid. I will say, the second room we got was a triple, much larger than the other with a tremendous view. We checked out the next day. She did not charge us for the first night, which was nice of them. I asked if they charged my credit card for the deposit. She acted like she had no idea what I was talking about, she even asked me how much a deposit would be and when it was charged. I again went through the series of emails that were sent back and forth and she still acted dumb and said she didn't think so. She really could not have been more unfriendly with us that morning, regardless of not charging us for the first night.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It is very inconvenient, you have to have a minimum of 30 Eur for a credit card charge, which we did not know about until some of our friends ran out of cash. They tried to pay with credit card and it was literally thrown on the counter and told this is not America. We understand that, however I have lived in Europe for 4+ years and have not had trouble with credit card usage. All in all, the customer service was beyond terrible. The views can just as easily be enjoyed for a lunch time beer instead of spending the night there; however, I would be hesitant to spend any more money in their establishment.

• Stayed February 2011