“First time ski”

Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Zell am See
Bristol, United Kingdom
“First time ski”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Absolutely brilliant holiday, it was our first time skiing so I checked the reviews before hand and was not disappointed, we fell in love with this charming hotel, especially the cat who we seen on a few occasion, the bedroom was a great size we had the standard double but was more than enough, location was great walked to shop to hire gear then caught the bus up to the slopes, food was fab good choice every evening, all members of staff were friendly and welcoming, would love to return next year.

• Stayed February 2014
FiwiZell, Leiter Front Office at Romantik Hotel Zell am See, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Good evening from Zell am See!

We like to say thank you for your Kind Feedback and for your time.

We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are looking Forward to welcome you back!

Yours Family Hörl, staff and the cat Maxi :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Thornton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Just got back from a fantastic week here. Free upgrade on arrival. Minibar very reasonably priced. Food fantastic, something for everyone and lots of it. Spa treatments fantastic value for money, the best ever according to my girlfriend. Staff extremely knowledgable and nothing too much trouble for them. Free bike hire, bikes very good condition. NO charge for safe key as some people say, only a deposit. Overall could not fault, thank you to all at the romantik.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dazzlebrush
FiwiZell, Leiter Front Office at Romantik Hotel Zell am See, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear guest!

Thank you for your time and your Feedback.

It is a pleasure to hear that you are happy with your stay in Zell am See!

We hope to can welcome you back soon.

Kindest regards, yours Family Hörl and staff
Fraddon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Romantik for our 40th wedding anniversary at the end of March 2014, I cannot fault this hotel, all the staff were very friendly and made a special effort by decorating our table for our anniversary evening.
The food was amazing and varied, sometimes it was 5 courses and sometimes 6.
We kept the same table all week which was lovely as you always knew where you were going to sit.
We had a fabulous room which was kept spotless all week and we had a balcony looking out onto the gorgeous garden.
After skiing we always used the pool and spa which was lovely.
Weather was delightful and we enjoyed lots of skiing, when you tired of that there was the gorgeous lake to walk round or the pretty town where the hotel is located centrally.
We loved it here so much we have already booked for next March and are looking forward to another week in this lovely hotel

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandrajames54
Thank you for resonse. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your 40th wedding anniversary and Holiday in Zell am See. Hopefully we can welcome you back your next anniversary!

Sunny regards from Zell am See, yours Family Hörl and staff
Falkirk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I spent a week at this hotel from 29th march - 5th April. First impressions were very nice, we were given a very comfortable room which we found to be clean and well furnished. There was also a minibar in the room.

A bit disappointed that the hotel wanted 40 euros for the safe key, most hotels I have been to lately don't charge for use of the safe.

The staff were very pleasant and were found to be very helpful.

The food wasn't really up to much. The breakfast was adequate just not a lot of choice. The evening meal was four courses and again it was adequate, although quite a few Italian dishes.

I think what ruined it for us were two very ignorant families who very loudly played charades whilst ourselves and others were eating their evening meal. I know I could have spoken out but I would have appreciated staff just asking them to wait till dinner was over.

After dinner we tried to get a drink at the bar which we found wasn't staffed. On one occasion we even walked away as we couldn't find staff to serve us.

Overall I wouldn't say this hotel was value for money, as we had spent a week in Italy in February again for skiing and the hotel there was 4 star half board, a lot cheaper with a much better selection of food both at breakfast and dinner. I appreciate this was the end of the season and we did have a great time, plenty of snow for us on the quiet slopes.

Zell am see itself is a lovely town and we did head into Salzburg for the day which was lovely.

We did have a good holiday but I don't think we would return to the Romantik hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank funnylass
FiwiZell, Manager at Romantik Hotel Zell am See, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Sorry for your disappointments with us. I do not know what to say, because normally we never get complaints, but this year it was not the best. Maybe this was, because I had a bad ski accident and I was not as much taking care as I normally do. The Romantik is a Family runned Hotel, and when the head is not taking care, the boat goes not the right way. I only can say sorry, but regarding the safe key I only can tell, we never Charge for a safe key. We only put 40 Euros on the room bills to rembember the return of the key. As soon you give back the safe key, the key is going to be deducted from your bill. I think this is fair and absolutely no Charge on the keys!
You did not mention on your Report, that you did get an upgrade for your room, so this makes it very disappointing for us too, that the guests never appriciate our efforts. But anyway, we had many compliments this especially week from other guests. But come to me personally with a mail. we will certainly make you an good offer to present us well for your next ski Holiday!
Best greetings from Austria - Sabine Hörl
ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed for a week half board while skiing during march. Weather in Zell was fabulous and i have been to Zell on seven previous occasions over the last six years so my review will no doubt make comparisons to other hotels in the town.
This was my first time staying in the Romantik and as i already knew, its location is fantastic.It's Spa is also excellent. On arrival the check in was quick, very thorough and friendly.
We were informed that our standard room was being upgraded to a family suite! The room we received consisted of standard Austrian twin beds together with two single quilts.(One big quilt for married couples would help) A seperate bathroom with large bath and seperate shower and twin sinks, A seperate toilet. A seperate room with fold down bunk beds and all your wardrobes. Another seperate sitting room with couch, TV, mini bar (very reasonably priced) so all in all a very large space for two people. This whole area is located in the old part of the hotel and i would say it hadn't been refurbished in 30 years! It was extremely tired! I know past reviewers have written about new rooms and old rooms but a four star hotel shouldn't be offering rooms of this standard.Size was great but couldn't make up for 1970's rooms! The food in the restaurant at breakfast was excellent if standard but at dinner, the combinations that were put in front of us just didn't work! We ate out two nights during the week as we couldn't stick these weird cobinations of flavours.The bar??? I went down prior to dinner on two nights and there was nobody behind the bar nor anybody sitting at the bar. We eventually got served, had our one drink each night and went into the restaurant. There is clearly no effort put into the bar so we never went back but i kept looking in on it every night and never saw a single person sitting at the bar. We had a great time in Zell am See but that was more down to the people we met, the weather and the Irish bar next door! It is called the Romantik so maybe a large quilt should be provided when a married couple check in! I don't like giving hotels a three star rating but compared to the Gruener Baum, The Seehof, The St Georg or the Tirolerhof, it just lacks behind considerably! .I hope to attend a wedding here next here and i hear they do an excellent job when it comes to weddings, i just hope the food improves.

Room Tip: Get one in the new wing!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carrickaman
FiwiZell, Manager at Romantik Hotel Zell am See, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for your report. I`m sorry not that you did not come to me, to talk about your impressions. We had three bad comments in the winter season, and I only can excuse, but we have so many frequent guests coming back to us. Especially we are happy with the English guests! Sorry for your bad impressions - but it would be very efficiate if you directly come to the reception to talk to me! Hope to get the chance to make it better, maybe you come back to me directly, to discuss a solution!
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We were very disappointed about this hotel because we had read good reviews about the Romantik hotel chain and were looking forward to staying at this hotel. This was very much in contrast to other hotels in Zell am Zee that we have stayed at over the last 17 years. Staff and owners at the Tirolerhof, Grand Hotel, Seehof, Glaserhaus, Grunerbaum and the Heitzman have all been extremely friendly and welcoming and this is the main reason that we have returned to Zell am See to stay over 15 times.

The main waiter in the restaurant was in fact very helpful and made us feel welcome during the evening he was very friendly and accommodating. There was also a young male waiter who sometimes worked in the restaurant and who served the hot punch that was very friendly and helpful and should be commended. However, there was one waitress who wasn’t helpful and was extremely rude. She only served in our part of the restaurant on one evening. On that particular evening we arrived for dinner at 19.45hrs. When I went to the salad bar I found that there was no white bread left, and only a few slices of brown bread. As I do not like brown bread I asked this waitress for some more white bread. She very rudely replied “this is bread” and pointed in the direction of the few slices of brown bread that was left. I tried to explain that I didn’t like brown bread and asked for white bread at which time she shouted “it’s finished, this is bread” again pointing at the brown bread in a rude manner. Her tone and manner was extremely rude. As I began to speak again she just said “I don’t know” and walked away leaving me standing there in mid conversation and in utter disbelief! I certainly would not expect such unprofessional and rude behaviour from a member of staff at a 4 star rated Hotel and have never experienced anything like it in Zell am See before. Our waiter then came to our table and I asked him for bread. He returned within two minutes with a plate of bread as requested. If bread was so readily available I cannot understand why the waitress that I had spoken to initially chose to react so unprofessionally to my request and why she was so rude. To make matters even worse as we were eating at our table about 10 minutes later this same waitress started shouting from across the dining room. I looked up and realised that the waitress was in fact shouting at me from across the room and waving a baguette in her hand. This was very embarrassing for us and her behaviour was completely unprofessional and unacceptable. Had the manageress been around that evening I would have told her about the waitress as I was appalled and quite angry that I’d been treated in such an appalling way. We did not see the point of complaining at reception as we had already had a negative experience there and did not feel that our complaint would be taken seriously. We had approached the reception with a complaint about the bed linen. On our first evening we had found a fresh blood stain on one of the duvet covers in our room. We had come down to reception to ask for a clean cover but were told that there was nobody available and so we were forced to share one duvet cover between two which is not something that we would expect from a 4 star hotel. Rather than making a fuss about it we just stripped the duvet cover contaminated with blood the following morning and left it on the floor so that it would be changed. When we returned that afternoon we found that the duvet cover had in fact been changed, however upon going to bed that evening we found another blood stain on the new cover. As it was late we were therefore forced to sleep for a second night with only one duvet cover between two which is quite unacceptable. Therefore not wanting to make a fuss again we stripped the duvet cover contaminated with blood again and left it on the floor in the bedroom again expecting that it would be replaced with a new one. However when we returned that afternoon we were shocked and disappointed to find that the blood contaminated duvet cover that we’d left on the floor had just been folded back on our bed. It had not even been put back on the duvet. This is when we went to reception to ask for a clean cover. Again at this time we did not want to make a fuss and just wanted to be given a clean cover that we would have replaced ourselves. However the receptionist was not helpful at all and was quite rude. She initially laughed at us and said that the cleaner had gone home and that there were no duvet covers. She told us that we’d have to come back to reception the next day if we wanted a clean duvet cover. At this time I had to insist that we were given a clean duvet cover as we were not going to sleep for a third night with only one single duvet cover between two on a double bed. The receptionist at this time made us feel extremely awkward and as if we were causing trouble. She made a fuss saying that she would have to call the cleaner to come back to work as she had gone home. All we wanted was a clean duvet cover and surely she could have provided us with one! I’m afraid that this type of service is completely unacceptable from a 4 star establishment. We draw the line at sleeping with duvet covers that have blood stains on them and at no time did the receptionist or the cleaner apologise to us for this.

On the Wednesday night, there was a wedding on at the hotel. We felt as if there wasn’t enough staff on that evening and were left waiting around for a long time to be served. We really like Zell am See and had decided to stay at the Romantik Hotel this time as we wanted to get married at the Romantik hotel and wanted to stay there first to make sure that it was the right place for us to get married. We are very glad that we stayed at the hotel first, as after our stay we will most definitely not be getting married there.

The main issue with the spa was not in relation to the spa itself, but rather with the swimming pool. We felt that the pool area was very small and so we didn’t use the pool facilities. The main problem is the fact that the outside pool is only open for 1 hour 15 minutes! We had looked forward to using the swimming pool to relax after a hard day’s skiing, however due to the extremely limited opening times of the outdoor pool the swimming pool area was much too busy and crowded as everyone was there for the short period of time that the pool was open.

We left a completed questionnaire with the hotel on our departure, detailing our discontent and have since received an email from the owner. Within her email, she apologised for the lack of welcome at her hotel and states that she wasn’t around due to recently suffering a head injury after a skiing accident. We acknowledged her apologies; however we won’t be returning to this hotel as our terrible experience with the rude staff spoilt our holiday and our experience at Zell am See. We are very glad that we have stayed at Zell am See so many times before and therefore know that the people of Zell am See are not all like this and that the staff at all the other hotels that we have stayed at have been very welcoming. Without a doubt our stay at the Romantic Hotel was one to be forgotten. It is our worst experience ever at any hotel anywhere in the world and we have never been treated so rudely by hotel staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank yoshi85
Sorry for you, that you did not like your stay. But we already got in contact and I offered you already a Discount! It is a pity you did not accept and you had to write this report again. Thank you - best regards Sabine Hörl
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from a weeks skiing holiday at this lovely family run hotel which was ideally situated in a quiet location in the centre of Zell. We found all the staff to be helpful and friendly and our room was spacious and clean. My husband made good use of the spa facilities which were very relaxing at the end of a busy day skiing.
The breakfast and dinner were excellent as was the service we received.
We would highly recommend this hotel and hope to return next season.

I have only one little criticism which I feel I should mention, and that is that a charge of 40 Euros was made for the use of the safe for a week! Is it really necessary to make a charge? Personally I think it should be included in the price of the room.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Cheryl R
Hello from Zell am See,
I do understand your critic and we normally do not Charge the safe key, we only put it on the bill to remind us and the customers for giving the key back. I would like to Transfer the Money back, just get in contact with me! Best regards Sabine Hörl