We just spent a week at the Grand in a family room. This consists of a room with double bed, sitting area with bunk beds off it (they're in a recessed bit with sliding doors so no difficulties getting the kids to sleep), toilet, bathroom and small balcony with wonderful lake view. For a family with 2 smaller kids it was perfect for us. We got a great deal on a half board stay for the week, with the kids staying free.
Things we liked:
- superb location. Breathtaking views from our room, dining room, the pool, the spa. Being such a short walk to the beautiful town of Zell even though the lakeside setting makes you feel very secluded.
- minibus to and from the ski lift.
- service in the restaurant was superb. A very special mention must go to our main waitress Vivien. Overall we found all of the staff genuinely friendly, welcoming and very helpful. The food was good, in particular very tasty options for the kids. Yes, it's very Austrian (lots of dumplings, terrines etc) but there is a good enough choice that we had no trouble finding things we liked each evening.
- the pool was wonderful, nice that kids were allowed in the sauna and jacuzzi which was a great novelty for them
- the grand spa was a real touch of luxury
- free child care which the kids absolutely loved and kept asking to go back to. The two ladies in charge were exceptionally caring. Going to the grand spa for a few hours was completely guilt-free given how happy the girls were.
- getting to feed the ducks/geese/swans daily
- being able to get ski passes and book ski lessons in the hotel
Things that weren't quite so good (only one, in fact):
- the timing of the afternoon snack (15.00-16.00), which is a great skiing ritual. It finishes much earlier in the Grand than in any of the many other places I've stayed. Getting to ski just once a year I want to maximise time on the mountain. If you want to get back in time you have to finish skiing much earlier than I would personally want to. And boy do they adhere strictly to the finish time! On two occasions we got back just after 16.00 - once having waited almost 20 mins for the minibus (very much the exception, it must be said) - to find everything cleared away, much to the bitter disappointment of the kids. The food is very good when you do get there, with a mix of savoury and sweet. Come on the Grand, let's have a later finish please!
Overall, we had a really wonderful holiday thanks in large part to our hotel stay which felt very luxurious. Can't wait to book again. Well done to all at the Grand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Zell am See and winter sports are like the sun and sky, great friends! Together with the GRAND HOTEL ZELL AM SEE, they form an unbeatable trio for the perfect winter vacation.Treat yourself to casual 4-star comfort, homely old Austrian tradition of hospitality, comfort and a touch of luxury alpine directly on the winter white lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Grand Hotel Zell am See reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Zell Am See
- Zell Am See Grand