“Lebzelter brings warmth to polar conditions on ski holiday!”
Review of Hotel Lebzelter

Hotel Lebzelter
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Zell am See
Navan, Ireland
“Lebzelter brings warmth to polar conditions on ski holiday!”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My skiing holiday in Zell Am See this year was by far the coldest conditions I have ever skied in, but to come back to this hotel at night time was a real treat.

First of all it is in a really great location, bang in the middle of town, literally everything is a two minute walk or less.

I really liked this hotel, it was a nice traditional Austrian alpine style. It's family run which is nice but it's also big enough that there is plenty of activity around the place.

The restaurant was really good. The food was excellent throughout the trip. The service was great too, our waitress Patricia was always smiling and was very friendly even though she must have thought our group was half-mad! It was a really nice to be in such a comfortable and homely restaurant after a big days skiing.

I also really liked the bar downstairs, which is defined by two things.. one the room itself which is a really old cellar, dark but cosy and, more importantly, two, Gunther the barman. This is a one-man show, he is the only guy who works here and he is great. Everyday I went there with my friend to have a beer and chat with him. He is a really good host.

Even though we had food here everyday, on the last day when we had to go somewhere for lunch we chose to have it in the upstairs hotel bar, which in itself is a very good sign of the hotel. We had a lovely meal, the food was even better than that served all week (obviously because it is a la carte and not for a group) but it shows what they can do. We had a lovely bottle of Chardonnay which i would also recommend.

Finally I thought that the accommodation staff were excellent. The rooms were cleaned beautifully everyday and it was a great treat to return to the room in such excellent condition.

I would have no hesitation in either returning to, or recommending this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank navandude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Bedford UK
Reviewed 10 February 2012

The Hotel:
- Smallish twin room was fine with a great view up to the CityExpress Gondola and down to the Church (which also provides a 6am wake up call).
- Breakfast was continental plus scrambled / boiled eggs. I enjoyed all the evening meals bar one when the chicken was tough as old boots but everything else was fine.
- The hotel SportStubl bar had a great atmosphere and is one of the best in Zell for middle-aged Apres-ski!
- It's a 6-7 minute walk to the CityExpress Lift.
- All the staff were brilliant especially Monika in the bar.
- Boot room a bit small but lovely warm boots in the morning.

The Skiing:
- We had excellent snow with mixed cloud / sun and -20C toward the end of the week.
- Just about enough mileage for me (Int/Adv) and Kaprun is worth a day trip (30 mins by bus). Paid 15€ to put Saalbach on lift pass but didn't venture there in the end.
- Worth getting up early for quieter pistes. Sonnenalm is great when the sun shines and run 1 under the Glocknerbahn is a very flattering blue.
- You can ski part way to the Pinzgauer Hutte for food / beer and then you get towed back by skidoo - great fun.
- The "Freaks on Snow" night show is worth going to.

Overall I had a great week here, especially with the excellent snow conditions. The scenery, town and lake add extra interest. Hotel was great although probably payed a bit over the odds for it. I would go back in a few years time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank bedforduk
Atherstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We spent 7 nights here 2nd week in January 2012, what a wonderful choice, the setting is stunning, ideally located in the centre of such a charming town. The hotel staff are very so polite and helpfull. Monika in the bar does such a wonderful job, the draft Zipfer is amongst the best in town! Downstairs in the cellar bar the music may be a little old (we have got over the Beatles) but the guy who runs it is very friendly. (and you can smoke)
The food was without doubt exceptional, great choices, although the reccomended wines were a little expensive.
The rooms are superb, the en-suites are a little small, but he view from the balcony........

Room Tip: Ask for a Balcony
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Thetaorionis
lancaster
Reviewed 29 January 2012

This hotel is a great choice. Its got bags of character and lots of charm. The staff are very friendly and made us feel extremely welcome at all times. We arrived late because of delays on transfer (snow related) and they made us very welcome with soup and cake on arrival.

The hotel is comfortable and clean, with spacious rooms even though they were sold as being 'small', compared to others we've stayed in for similar holidays we thought they were spacious. The bathroom was recently upgraded I suspect as it looked brand new and again, was one of the best showers and bathroom that we've had on a ski holiday like this.

Its not 5 star luxury but its not supposed to be. Its great value, with friendly service, spacious and clean rooms, good and plentiful food and a great central locations. Its round the corner from bars, ski hire shops and just 5 mins to the lift or bus station.

Room Tip: Don't worry about the rooms being too small
3 Thank gy_paul
St Helens
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Just returned from a weeks skiing in Zell staying at this hotel. I travelled with a mate who I roomed with and my 2 daughters shared another room.

Nothing to do with the hotel but never seen so much snow in my life over 2 metres, was snowing when we arrived on Saturday 7th and only relented for one day whilst we were there !

So, to the Hotel Lebzelter.

I really liked the hotel and though it represented great value at at a tad under £400 pp half board.

The hotel itself is very old and has a great deal of character. Its location is pretty central to everything in the town just a couple of minutes walk to the main bus station where the ski buses depart or about 5 minutes walk up the hill to the City Express lift.

The room was clean and have to say the bed was extremely comfortable, The bathroom was a tad small but perfectly adequate and the main thing for me was that there was always blisteringly hot water for that all important post ski shower !

A big plus point was the food I thought it was excellent. Breakfast was a cold buffet with the usual cereals, nice local fresh bread, cheeses , ham, etc but all very nice.

Dinner was ordered at breakfast time with a choice of 3 main ( 1 veggie). There was a nice salad buffet, always a tasty home made soup , choice of main, folllowed by a choice of cakes, ice cream, yoghurt type deserts and a very good selection of cheese and buscuits. Mid week was an austrian buffet with a great selection of meats. The food was of very good quality.

The hotel also has 2 bars of its own a cellar bar which was a bit quiet but very cosy and a bar at ground level which had brisk trade from plenty of people not all staying at the hotel.

i have to say i didnt find the staff particularly surly at all I thought they were all very friendly and all bid me good morning, evening or whatever. I think they are just a little ' germanic' which can come across as being a tad abrupt at times but they were nice enough and no complaints.

We had no problems with noise apart from at dinner with two noisy Russian kids allowed to shout and run amok by their parents who didnt seem to care. Oh and me and my mate distrurbing each other snoring!

Within a minute walk of the hotel are a good number of bars and Zell is one of the more lively Ski resorts I have visited. There are some very smart bars indeed.

Whilst the Zell Ski area is not the biggest and decent intermediate skiers could cover it in a couple of days in normal circumstances ( the poor visibility hampered us ) there are other nearby options a bus ride away. We did the Crystal away day at Salbaach-Hinterglemm which was guided and a marvellous day out.

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend the hotel. Great in terms of value, location and food quality. Just wish the ski area was a bit larger.

My only gripe was with Crystal and not the hotel. My 2 daughters were on their first trip one skiing and one snowboarding. The Crystal rep told me they would both need 5 day lift passes from their second day at 174 euros each- so I paid on the transfer coach. They never got off the nursery slopes all week and they only needed a drag lift nursery pass for a few days at 15 euro per day. I had to argue for 3 days before they finally agreed to refund the cost which was no small amount at over £300 ! Tip, check with the instructors for lift pass requirments for beginners and not the resort reps !

As for the hotel, go for it you wont be disappointed.

6 Thank OhWhenTheSaints
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2012

we stayed as a family over new year,it was great,1.st time 2 zell,visit to the gin house is a must,the owner&2 lads dan& david were brilliant with us,so we went every night!we found staff at the hotel very helpful&friendly,the beds so comfy it was the best sleep in ages!the cleaner on the 1.st floor was lovely.she even folded my kids clothes,never got to say bye on last day as we left early,my only negative is that i gained 10 pounds in weight as the food was so good.would deffintely stay there again.

3 Thank eifion h
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

ı agree totally with some of the earlier negative views. Particularly with the statement that "this hotel is run by the most unwelcoming couple I have ever met".

Other facts: (1) not easy to sleep unless you are a very deep sleeper. you can even hear people walking in the hallway, (2) toilets are very old central european style backward, (3) most staff are rude, probably a reflection of ownership.

Much better hotels in Zell. Badhaus is a better choice at same price. I'm sure there are others.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends