We stayed at Hotel Stadt Wien for a week last August and had a very pleasant stay!
We were 2 adults and 2 kids (5 and 8 years old) and shared a very large bedroom with balcony facing the garden (room 501 pictured on the web site).
Our kids slept in the pull-out couch which was comfortable and us parents had one double bed. Our room also had a large hallway (which would be very useful to hang coats in Winter I suppose), a big bathroom and separate toilet. Soundproofing was good, there was plenty of closet space, a hairdryer in the bathroom, in-room safe (complimentary) and a cathodic TV set. There were many electrical outlets available throughout the room. Housekeeping was good, if a bit patchy when it came to providing towels for the swimming pool.
The restaurant and food were really to our liking. All meals were always fresh and varied; we had the full board which allowed us to prepare a take-away lunch from the breakfast buffet (which we did most time) or have a light lunch served in the hotel (we did that once; it was good but we felt lonely in the restaurant as we were pretty much the only guests to do that). We also had their delicious cake everyday as a snack (watch for coffee which is charged extra)! Waiters were all really nice and service was professional.
Location was perfect, close enough to the lake (10 minutes by foot) and far away enough from the main street. The hotel garden and grounds were nice for the kids to play and we actually stayed one entire afternoon by the pool and in the garden. I think the grounds could do with a bit of a makeover to make them look more upscale but it was sufficient for our needs. The pool and sauna areas were really nice and well kept & maintained.
Hotel Stadt Wien also offered complimentary parking space and there was an amazing selection of bicycles to chose from, so we took advantage of that on several occasions to ride to the Strandbad near the lake.
Overall we had a very lovely holiday at this hotel and I would recommend it especially for families with kids. It was really good value thanks to our full board package and the complimentary tourist cards for adults & children included in our rate. I also have to commend the main reception lady (tall blond) who was ever so pleasant to our kids and us! The owners were warm and friendly too.
I have a few tiny gripes which should not deter you from chosing that property:
- internet access could be difficult to access during rush hours; also internet access applies to only 1 device (so you may have to log out of your telephone prior to connecting a tablet for example). They extended it on a complimentary basis though so can't complain too much either;
- it was impossible to block the daylight in the room (but this is due to the very nature of the room with cathedral-like ceiling);
- the donkey in the garden could be noisy in the early morning too,
- the restaurant felt a bit "segregated" as there were several dining rooms whereby German-speaking guests were separated from international guests and Arabic-speaking guests (who had "their own" room);
- you could not get tap water in the restaurant without being charged a small amount (1.20€ if I recall). I'm told it's the custom in Austria, so that's okay but I rather leave that money to my waiter everyday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lots of room for lots of vacationAt Hotel Stadt Wien in Zell am See, you will experience nature up close. Both inside and outside the hotel. Enjoy the Salzburg-style hospitality. Uncomplicated, sincere and relaxed.Step inside and feel completely at home from the moment you arrive. Our openness, natural charm and attentive service greet you right there at the reception and accompany you for the rest of your vacation. Natural materials, colors and forms radiate an atmosphere of warmth and seclusion throughout the hotel.The 57 rooms and suites are beautiful furnished for an utterly comfortable stay. Room categories "Zur Ruhe" and "Zum Frohsinn" are suitable for allergy sufferers and feature solid-wood furniture. Discover renewed sources of peace and strength in the Vitality Oasis of Hotel Stadt Wien. An open-air pool provides wonderful refreshment both summer and winter. In contrast, the sauna area will quickly have you working up a true sweat. And when you are ready for total relaxation, our masseuses Anna-Maria and Victoria will be right there at your side.Of course, any relaxing vacation also includes delicious things to eat and drink. These are skillfully conjured up on your plate by head chef Hans and his team. Meals include a nutritious breakfast, afternoon snacks along with a 5-course dinner menu. Aside from self-baked bread and home-cured bacon, cooking here always emphasizes use of regional products. We completely reject the use of any flavor enhancers or ready-made products.Amenities at Hotel Stadt Wien 57 rooms and suites Free WiFi throughout the hotel Hotel bar and lounge area Smoking lounge Free Vitality Oasis Playroom and playground Basement ski storage Free bike rentals Parking ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, seekda GmbH, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Stadt Wien reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stadt Wien Zell Am See