“The perfect Tyrol retreat.”

MAVIDA Wellnesshotel & Sport Zell am See
Ranked #27 of 42 Hotels in Zell am See
Reviewed 16 August 2010

When recently I decided, at very short notice, to join my boyfriend on a trip around the Tyrol that he was already on, the Mavida was the perfect place to check into. The somewhat fraught organising of the previous week instantly melted away when I walked into the cool, calm, contempory interior. I wouldn't naturally choose "cool and contemporary", but this place does it perfectly. As with other reviews I would agree that the rooms, restaurant and service were all superb. I can recommend the "full body peeling" in the Spa - nothing like as extreme as it sounds, in fact, very relaxing and I really do feel my skin felt better after! As my partner had taken his mountain bike with him, it was also really useful that we were able to use one of the hotel's bikes for me (free) so we could cycle round the lake. First time back on a bike in 20 odd years, but I survived and it's an excursion to be recommended! After all that, a quick dip in the pool and tea on the terrace was very relaxing :-)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for MAVIDA Wellnesshotel & Sport Zell am See

Reviewed 13 June 2010

We went to Mavida for a few days after we got married. It was ideal for relaxing - the rooms were conducive to this - modern decor and quiet. We called room service several times and the order was there is a very quick time. All the staff were polite and very friendly, you felt special. The spa facilities were relaxing and we got used to wandering around in our hotel provided robes.
We stayed in one of the spa deluxe rooms and had a good view from our room - it looked over the outdoor pool and bar.
The evening food as part of our half board deal was the best food we have had and the pace it was served was just right. I will say that the wine list is expensive.
All in all a great hotel and we will be returning to enjoy the facilities and Austrian spa experience again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2010

An unexpected find in Zell, where nothing is too much trouble and the Restaurant is superb. A linked Hotel offers what must surely be 'heaven on earth' for parents with children where offspring may be safely left to amuse themselves all day in the car eof Hotel staff / go off to vist a local farm, ;earn about nature, swim, horse ride, while mum & dad enjoy the luxurious spa facilities at MaVida, where no children are allowed in!!

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2010

The hotel is contemporary (a nice change for Austria), with chillout music playing everywhere. Bedroom is perhaps a little cramped near the wardrobe which is behind the bed and at one side where you can just get out, though the view of the mountains takes your mind off it (if you open the net curtains first and duck to avoid the tv hanging off the wall that is-i hate net curtains). There are 2 train tracks outside (one is very close) but they didn't bother us as the windows were usually closed. The hotel promotes a pillow menu but it was seriously lacking. As usual for Austria one was like a cloud and zero neck support and the other was about 4ft square (a floor cushion in a previous existence?). We've ski'd here since our honeymoon 25 yrs ago and the pillows havent changed, come on guys get your act together. When i asked for another type i got a bag of wheat (i thought this was a 4/5* hotel not a stable) haha, so i gave up.
The restaurant was fabulous, we were HB and had the run of the 'dinner' and 'a la'carte' menu. A surprise treat from the chef is always sent out first, then you leisurely work your way through the next 4 yummy courses and excellent wine. Presentation and textures are everything here and the portions are perfectly sized. Service was excellent and all meals were introduced in English by the staff and they always remembered that i had soya milk. There were children in the restaurant but all were impeccably behaved (unlike a lot of British ones i've experienced). Oh, and more net curtains....maybe to stop you seeing the trains running by?
Spa area is a balance (haha) of wow and disappointment for me. Let's start with the wow which was the pool area, the heat of the water is ooooooooh heaven for once (i might even get fit if i lived here)and is surrounded by heated water beds, everybody i saw lay on one fell asleep hehe-utter relaxation. I only have a couple of criticisms and they are that the Tepidarium wasn't warm enough (steam rooms are the fave of my husband and I and we don't like them very hot but this was poor), the foot baths felt slimy (euww) and i would have liked to have been asked prior to being given a male masseur. Yeah i can imagine you girls choking with laughter as you read it but trust me he wasn't that professional-or fit-questioning me about my tattoo, commenting on my tummy piercing and generally a bit of an Austrian version of a cheeky chappy, he had verbal diahorrea. When i was given him again on the 2nd day i told him at the start to "mund halten bitte"......also his hands felt like sandpaper and his technique was rough and lacking at times (after all, isn't the technique what we are paying for here?). My hubby and i booked the treatments together well in advance of our trip but got an email asking us to change them which was irritating as it forced us to have our appointments at different times and miss hours of skiing.
The only 2 English speaking news channels were frozen and BBC was never fixed during our stay even though we asked.
It is promoted that you can arrange skigear from the hotel but it was only on our last day that we noticed the area to do it by accident, nobody mentioned it.
After all said and done i would go back, though maybe ask for a lady masseuse next time? :¬)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Very modern and cozy hotel with great views. Very nice staff.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Stayed at the Mavida with my wife for a week in early August. On the whole, very impressed and would recommend to anyone seeking a reasonably priced yet well appointed boutique hotel. Particularly impressed by the restaurant which far exceeded standards expected for a hotel restaurant (breakfasts were incredible!). A fantasic pool area adjoins the lounge bar's outdoor terrace which is awesome if the weather is nice. My wife assures me the spa centre is also fantasic, very modern and with good range of treatments. This is clearly a hotel which has had a good deal of money and effort put into it.

The hotel also provides free bikes to get around on. Also numerous walking tracks up the mountains are within easy reach.

While I noticed that there were a number of families staying while we were there, the set-up wasn't focussed for kids so wouldn't recommend staying with children.

Only fault I could give it is it's location next to a railway line which could be noisey. However this wouldn't stop me from returning.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We stayed at Mavida for a short skiing break in February. We stayed with friends, both of whom had stayed before and recommended it highly. The hotel is distinctive, welcoming and contemporary. Rooms were spacious with great amenities and are spotlessly clean. Breakfast was wonderful; it's worth getting up to eat and drink as much as you can, including the freshly squeezed juice. The bar area is lovely with a real fire and fantastic service from knowledgable bar tenders. Our only complaint would be typical of all hotels in Austria (until 2010 at least) in that the bar was incredibly smokey. We ate in the restaurant one evening and the food was good quality, as were the local wines.

The spa facilities are wonderful; there is a range of saunas and amazing heated water beds next to the pool, where you could easily spend a few hours reading or dozing. The beauty therapies were good; we had a massage and used the 'blue room' and the standard of service was excellent.

The hotel is fairly expensive, but it's a perfect place to relax after a hard day's skiing. We would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Another example of good service that stands out is that we left a phone charger in the room; bought a new one when we got home and thought nothing more of it. One week later we received a parcel from Mavida returning the charger!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends