“Great restaurant and facilities, poor rooms”
Review of Living Max Hotel

Living Max Hotel
Ranked #31 of 42 Hotels in Zell am See
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel's restaurant serves as wonderful food. Breakfasts are fabulous with a wide choice of eggs, hams, freshly made juices, excellent coffee and local breads. Exceptional gourmet cuisine in the evening includes appetisers, starters, salad bar, main courses and desserts. Both taste and presentation are great. The facilities of the hotel such as sauna, gym lobby and bar are modern and tastefully finished. The only disappointment are the rooms, very small and old fashioned, in complete dissonance with the rest of the hotel, which is a real shame as otherwise it would be a perfect place in Zell am see.

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Good location and excellent facilities especially the breakfast. The stay was comfortable and I will go back there again.

The only negative was that they could not process my credit card online through booking.com and had to do a transfer. They were not flexible in that regards.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2013

After a quite a ride I entered my room. Reading lengthy information is not my core competence; I rather scan pictures. I was therefore slightly disappointed by entering my room. It all looked neat, but really small. When I glanced out of my window a grin appeared on my face seeing the white mountains in the distance. That grin has not disappeared anymore.
The lobby and restaurant are truly comfortable places to be. The food is local, seasonal and truly delicious; everything that comes from the kitchen is transformed into mouthwatering dishes. Personnel is busy, but good at remembering personal preferences.
The sauna is small, but nice. It is a place to go everyday to find you relaxing time after a skiing day.
The shuttle bus is needed, as the hotel is not withing walking distance from the slopes (at least not on skiing boots), but runs really regularly and takes only 4 minutes. The bus ride to Kaprun is about 30 minutes (from any place in Zell).
This place is worth a true recommendation when you want to be nice to yourself!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Floor V
Katrin V, Thank You at Living Max Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Dear Guests,

we thank You for the brougt up facts, and finaly satisfy stay in general.
We beleive to see You again in our house and wish YOu niche spring time.

Your Living Max Hotel Team

Reviewed 19 March 2013

I have recently stayed at this hotel ,while on a skiing holiday.
I cannot praise it highly enough. Accomodation was of modern design and attractive, breakfast and evening meals were first class with healthy choices excellent cusine well prepared and presented. Staff were polite and helpfull, transport is laid on to local ski lift.
Facilities to wind down after a hard day skiing, were first class, including pool and spa with relaxation rest areas.
If you do not ski, Zell am See the town and lake beside it are excellent for walking, around, shopping is good. night life is good bars, clubs and pubs are not noisy but friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

we thank You for You feed back and hope to see You again in our house.

Your Living Max Team

Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

This is our second time in Austria snowboarding. We'd heard good things about Zell am See, so we booked through Crystal in their January sale.

We picked the Hotel Living Max, as most of the TripAdvisor reviews were good (after you discount the usual 1* ones that are there for silly reasons), and it looked nice and modern. It's a 4* hotel, and in the middle price range of the hotels Crystal offer in Zell. A lot of criticism for the hotel was about the size of the room - so we paid a bit extra for a larger room.

Zell was about 75mins by coach from the airport. We arrived at the hotel and checked in. The receptionist was very helpful, and the reception area / dining room / bar area that we could see looked lovely.

We made our way up to the room. If this is a bigger room, then I'd hate to see the size of the smaller one! It was small, but big enough for the 2 of us. Plenty storage space for our gear, and plenty hangers in the wardrobe. It was a really nice looking room - modern, but still with an authentic Austrian theme. A nice flat screen TV on the wall, a small fridge in the room, and heated tiles in the small bathroom. Perhaps a nice TV, but not a single channel in English! I've been to many countries around Europe, and usually the selection of English channels is poor - but there is at least BBC News 24 or Sky News or similar.
My only other criticism of the room was the shower. It had a mind of its own - and periodically jumped between normal, freezing and scalding hot.

Breakfast was really good. The usual selection of cereals, breads, meats, cheeses etc, as well as sausages, bacon, eggs. Nice coffee machines and fruit juices.
Dinner was a starter, soup, salad bar, a choice of 3 main courses, followed by a sweet (from previous experience this seems to be traditional Austrian?). The food was good, although one night we were forced to eat out as there was nothing either of us liked on the menu.

The bar was nice, and on Monday night there was a band called Boots playing - who were really good. The bar prices were similar to other cafe / bars we had been in. €4 for a large coke (although €0.99 at the petrol station 400yards away) and €3.60 for a beer. The bar staff and waiters were very friendly and chatted away.

The wellness area looks as good as it does in the photos. It really is stunning. The pool was nice, but full of kids splashing about. It could have done with being a few degrees warmer. Being modest Brits, we never ventured into the 'nude sauna'. Sometimes after a day snowboarding I really like a nice hot jacuzzi, but there wasn't one - and with no bath in the room, I just had to leave my aching muscles to ache!

The location of the hotel is good. It's about a 10min walk to the City Express Gondola (although there is a hotel minibus running for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening). It's also a 5min walk to most bars / shops. As mentioned above, there is a petrol station a 2 minute walk away where you can get crisps, sweets, juice etc.

The hotel has free wifi throughout. There is a storeroom downstairs for keeping skis / boards /boots.

Would I stay here again? If I was coming back to this area I would probably stay in Kaprun rather than Zell as we preferred the skiing there. However, if I was coming back to Zell I would certainly stay at the Living Max again... but would make sure I had the upgraded larger room!

• Stayed: February 2013
Katrin V, Dankeschön at Living Max Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2013

Dear Guest,

we kindly thank You for the feed back of Yours.
Hope to welcom You again and wish You beautiful spring time,

Your Hotel Team

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Been here just a day but not disappointed! Exactly as described but suggest the rooms are not small, I have stayed in smaller! There is a sofa as well as the double bed. Bathroom small but shower bigger than standard. Glad we brought travel kettle and tea bags, no facilities in room although there is a fridge which we have put the milk in. Beer from the fridge €2.5 so reasonable. Brought hair dryer but there is one in the bathroom. Food excellent, five course evening meal and enough breakfast to see you through to dinner tonight!

Skied this morning, swam, sauna, and steamed this afternoon. Walk of about 10 mins with skis back to hotel so not too bad. All in all after 24 hours, very happy with hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Katrin V, Dankeschön! at Living Max Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2013

Dear Guest!

We kindly Thank You for Your feedback. Hope to welcome You soon again.

Your hotel Team wishes You beautiful spring time!

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I was here for my skiing holidays and this is a very very nice hotel with good location. Rooms are quite small but everything else in the hotel is excellent. Amazing breakfast, delicious food and very good selection of vines. Great spa.
Highly recommended.

Romantik Hotel Zell am See
Romantik Hotel Zell am See
#7 of 42 in Zell am See
Alpines Lifestyle Hotel Tannenhof
Alpines Lifestyle Hotel Tannenho...
#11 of 15 in St Johann im Pongau
AlpenParks Hotel & Apartment Central Zell am See
Hotel Traube
Hotel Traube
#20 of 42 in Zell am See

Been to Living Max Hotel? Share your experiences!