“Quick Tirol Ski Fix”
Review of Up and Downhill

Up and Downhill
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ellmau
Up and Downhill
Ranked #16 of 32 Speciality Lodging in Ellmau
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Quick Tirol Ski Fix”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I was invited by some friends to ski with them in Austria. We were picked up by Keith who was an excellent host. The farm was lovely and I really like the rural traditional style. Rooms are large, en-suit, good showers, plenty of hot water. Towels were provided. Breakfasts alternated between eggs and bacon to Austrian. Wifi was available and worked.

Keith provided a shuttle service to the ski lifts, which took less than 5 mins to get to.

Snow was excellent, skiing superb and the whole resort spectacular.

I am keen to come back again to this area and would stay here and also keen to do it in the summer and experience the mountain biking which I know Keith is also passionate about.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I love good food and after a long day of biking, Keith and I arrived back to the farm and he let me know dinner would be ready in a few. I didn't expect that the mountain biking and the food could both be fantastic. I mean, we are in the middle of farming country, I was expecting something quick just to give us energy for the next day. Nope. We had goulash and soup and even dessert.
It was by far the best meal I had in Austria. As for the lodging, I could not have a better sleeping arrangement. I slept in a room to myself, super comfy bed, with a view straight out towards the mountain that is next to their houses. If you arrive by train, dont worry Keith will pick you up - as he did with me - even in the pouring rain, haha. Keith knows all the trails and tailors the trip to what you like. I found a love of downhill biking and we spent a day going over the upcoming 2013 world downhill championships trail - I think -which was so conveniently located near us. I also got the chance to practice my german with Keith and Manu's kids, Henry and Noel.

Overall, I learned a ton about european history and current economic situation of Europe. I enjoyed talking about economics when we had free time on the trail. And that reminds me, having a beer of the side of the mountain is much more fun than I expected. Very relaxing.

Only negative I can come up with is the Ellmau weather. Nobody has control over it, but there is a good probability that rain won't prevent you from having fun. It rained twice while I was there, but it was always half a day before we planned to ride, so it gave some time for the water to be soaked up. Just plan ahead.

Excellent trip overall.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms in the lodge.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
UpandDownhill, Owner at Up and Downhill, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Thanks for the review Zach! I feel that I should mention, even though it was tricky trail with some wicked descents, it is actually part of the UCI World Marathon Championships. Takes place 29th-30th June 2013. We often go to the downhill course in Leogang. Next time you are over we'll hit that trail as well!
oldham
Reviewed 11 September 2012

All booked off the net, I'm a single dad with two lads 20/14 needed something more than a hot beach holiday. This delivered in spades, Keith provided all the guiding and took us all over the place. Lifts up the mountain and tracks down through the forests even met some friendly Austrian cows. Liked the Gastofs for lunch with just amazing views over the snow tipped mountains. Our hire bikes were top kit too, Keith talks you through each section ensuring safety is observed apart from the odd scratch we loved it. We invested in knee and elbow protectors from Decathlon which will use next year. Transfers provided to and from the airport made it all the more attractive, we went for meal provided option which I thought was worth while. After a day riding we just wanted to relax at the end of the day. We ventured in to Ellmau a couple of times, very busy on Tuesday when the streets closed and bands play good night. Recommend the pool a mile up the road, only went for 3 hours and came out after 5. This is massive complex, they have also built another in the opposite direction which also looked pristine. Must mention, Keith's wife Manu, makes exceedingly good Austrian cakes.

Room Tip: Road near by could be noisy but I understand there are other rooms available to the year
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The service that Keith and Manu provide is simply worldclass Nothing was ever to much trouble. The apartment is large, clean and airy with great views of the Wilder Kaiser - the only negative is the noise from the nearby road. We chose a a bed and breakfast package and the breakfast was served when we wanted it. This is exactly what we wanted.

The mountain biking was the reason for the trip and Keith is one of the best guides we have ever been with. Nothing was a problem no matter how idiotic his guests were! He remained affable and keen to please us and meet our diverse group needs, down hill, cross country trails, single tracks, lifts, no lifts.

The Tyrol is still relatively new to modern mountain biking and is slowly coming round to the value it offers. The Austrians need to invest/persuade land owners that bike trails are the future as the number of trails in any one resort is fewer than you would expect.

Room Tip: If you are just staying rather than biking then stay up at the farm house rather than the apartment.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Odom9
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Keith & Manu were really friendly and welcoming when we first arrived and this carried on throughout the week that we stayed with them.

The apartment was large, with a clean, large and airy bedroom that had truly beautiful views of the Wilder Kaiser and the farm's awesome log store. There was an added bonus of spending an evening watching some very young kittens playing amongst the logs while relaxing in the bedroom. The shower-room in well sized, with a separate toilet.

The apartment is within walking distance of Ellmau, and there are a number of really good restaurants and an excellent wine bar in the centre. Keith was very good at recommending places to visit on our days off from mountain-biking and knew the area very well.

As we had come for a guided mountain biking holiday with Keith, we also had our dinners at the apartment, and the food was excellent. The food was flavorsome, filling and very good quality. Manu's cakes were delicious and were a great end to the meal.

I would definitely recommend Up and Downhill - both for guiding mountain biking, and also for a base to explore the region, which is beautiful, really friendly and somewhere I'd like to go back to.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We booked with Up and Downhill over the internet on the basis of the home-cooked food and the availability of diverse riding.

We arrived later than we had said after an 10 hour drive from Calais and were still warmly greeted by Keith and made to feel immediately at home. Minutes later a three course meal was produced after which stress and troubles of the drive had faded away.

The accommodation is versatile. You could, if wanted, cater for yourself as there is a communal fridge and cooker. The local town of Ellmau, which is a 5 minute drive or 20 minute walk, has a good number of restaurants including pizza, Mexican, traditional Austrian and more up-market meals. There is also an excellent vintners where you can taste the wine before you buy. However, be warned if you drive to the tasting; the portions are generous.

This isn't to detract from the food that is served which is equally diverse, extremely tasty and which allows you to partake in the local wine and beer without worrying about how best to get home.

We opted for a 'package' which had 5 days of instruction. Keith is an accomplished instructor and managed to juggle the needs of our diverse group of four. He was able to adapt the rides as peoples' personal preference began to lean towards different aspects of what was available. The riding in the Alps can be quite extreme and Keith's knowledge of which routes can be attempted given the prevailing conditions set our minds at ease.

His knowledge of where best to eat lunch also deserves a mention.

In summary, Up and Downhill provides excellent food in a very good location for those wishing to mountain bike, walk or just explore the many places to see and things to do in that corner of Austria.

We will definitely return.

Room Tip: The upstairs room is away from the communal eating area allowing you the lie in longer. As an added...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClimbTheWorld
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Accommodation at Up and Downhill is perfect for a family ski trip, very clean & comfortable with all the facilities you would expect. The rooms are very warm with comfortable beds. We travelled in a party of 14, including 8 kids and had no issues accommodating us all across 2 apartments.

Keith and Manu are excellent hosts and do all they can to make your holiday as pleasurable and stress free as possible. We had a great holiday with no complaints, the skiing was fab, kids all happily went to ski school whilst the adults played on the slopes.

We can't recommend highly enough this friendly and comfortable accommodation. Ellmau is a great town and caters for all levels of skiers from the very young to more experienced. We will definitely be back to stay with Keith, Manu and their lovely boys.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family