“Brilliant”

Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Ischgl
Leeds, UK
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Just arrived back from the Piz Tasna in Ischgl.

This is a great hotel run by a very pleasant and welcoming family.

The breakfast was great, with lots of choice including cereal, yoghurt, eggs, bacon, ham, cheese, omelettes, drinks etc.

Dinner was something I looked forward to every day. I especially liked the salad buffet. As for the other reviews mentioning 'veal reduction' - either things have changed since their review or they are wrong. Each course was fantastically cooked, you only have to look at their cooking trophy cabinet to understand how good their chef is.

We could ski in to about 30m from the hotel (the review that says it was a treck up from the lift obviously didn't work out you can take the 1A red run past the back of the hotel, almost to it's door!).

The boot room was great, with heat boot stations, for nice warm boots in the morning.

Proximity to the town centre is really good too. It's 2 mins walk but also away from the loud noise.

Also the room was always very clean.

The downsides (which everyone else seems to have said) are:

-Poor pillows, maybe it's just the way Austrians like their pillows, but for me they are so light your head is not supported at all.

-Bedroom lighting system is very fiddly.

If I go back to Ishgl one day, then I'll definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ashUK83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

I'm a new skier - this was my second year and both trips have been to Ischgl. We stayed in one of the trendier hotels in 2012 booking through an operator. This year the group decided to try a different feel and more importantly, a hotel that offered single rooms - for me! I booked directly with the hotel while my friends booked through the operator (and I booked my flight and transfer through them).

From my first interactions with the hotel, the service was friendly (but not overly) and efficient. I could not have been more pleased with the single room (I think I may have got a normal room - certainly we couldn't see the difference to my friends room - so I can't promise great single rooms all the time!).

Reading the reviews below - yes - the pillows aren't great. The lights take some getting used to. I think those who believe its expensive should try some of the other hotels (like the one we were in last year). But none of these aspects should take away from a warm friendly atmosphere and great food and service (thanks to Marco for keeping us well served in the bar :) The breakfast selection was fabulous (you're in Austria though, don't expect full english). The dinners were superb.

Overly - if you want relaxed, friendly reasonable then book here and enjoy your holiday. And take your own pillow if you're that concerned (btw - my friend tells me those pillows are quite normal for Austria and he takes his own!!)

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Ejbsix
Toronto,Ontario
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I guess a good reviewer should look at both sides of a hotel experience , but for us , any small negatives here were overwhelmed by a LOT of positives !
Our party of 8 was met and welcomed by Roland and staff , and our baggage was whisked to our very pleasant rooms in no time.
We loved the food ,and can't imagine a better food experience , especially considering the diverse palates of our group. Both breakfasts and dinners were outstanding , and the après - ski light lunch welcome and good .
We like to have wine with our dinner , and thus , tap water was free ; as , I should mention , was the WiFi network , strong anywhere in the hotel . We had no complaints about "veal reduction"either.
Roland and Michaela took care of all our needs , ably aided by the staff , who were always smiling and communicative . I must make special mention of and thanks to Sylvie , Marco , Andre and Sarah .
Good ski experience , everything close by , lift tickets available at the desk ... Couldn't ask for more !
Go back ? You bet !!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank avidskiier
surrey
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed here February 2013.
The hotel is in great position, the food is excellent as are the staff.
Very confusing lighting system in the rooms so expect to be while sussing that out, the room was ok but i was not happy as I requested a room away from lifts or stairs and they put us right next to the lift. To be fair they do move us to the room next door in the end. I did find the hotel very overpriced for what is is but it would not stop me returning.

Room Tip: Might be worth paying extra to upgrade from a standard as ours looked a bit tired.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed at the Piz Tasna the first week in February. We arrived at 8.30 on Saturday night and were just in time for dinner. The food was excellent every evening, with unusual soups and dishes but I would agree with some other reviewers that the main courses were usually covered with veal jus, that drowned the flavours and made all the dishes taste very similar.

Our room was spotless with two single beds pushed together, a seating area, tv and tea and coffee making facilities (although I never found the milk). The bathroom was also spotless with clean fluffy towels every night and bathrobes. The shower was also good with plenty of water pressure.

Wellness Center/sauna was only small but we hardly ever saw anyone else in it!!!!

The only complaint we had was that the rooms were so hot all the time. We tried to alter the temperature on the main control but nothing seemed to work and we resorted to opening the doors onto the balcony, which soon cooled the room down!!!!!

Overall a lovely hotel but quite expensive.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the mountains and the village - very pretty!!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maggiemay1960_11
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 February 2013

On arrival, we received a warm welcome from hotel owner Roland and his charming wife. We were are a party of eight men sharing four double rooms. The rooms are spacious and well decorated with separate beds unlike many of the Austrian twin rooms. The en-suite was clean and modern with all the essential bits and pieces. A door led onto a balcony with spectacular views over the village and mountains.
The food was excellent. Breakfast was buffet style with a choice of everything you could possibly want. Apres-ski soups, cold food and cakes were available in abundance. Each evening at dinner there was a choice of three main courses - meat, fish and vegetarian. The service was efficient and friendly. The food itself was fantastic, consisting of six or seven courses of beautifully prepared and stylishly presented dishes. There is a sizable wine list with wines ranging from Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1990 at €870 a bottle to very drinkable Austrian and Italian wines at €28 per bottle. The bar bill for the eight of us for the week came to €1765 which we considered good value.
The Wellness Centre and pool are on the small side but are more than adequate given the level of use.
It is about 250 metres walk to the gondola with a travolator covering half that distance. Skiing down into the village leaves one just 50 metres from the hotel entrance. For us , this hotel ticked all the boxes!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a great view of the village and mountains.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank don m
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Hey, first off lets put this review into perspective. Ischgl is one of the most expensive Ski resorts in Austria and therefore Hotels charge accordingly.
The Piz is no exception and it is a very very good hotel but if they channelled a little more profit back into the rooms it could be exceptional. The shame is there is no incentive for them to do this as the hotel is pretty much booked well in advance of the ski season.
Let me get the gripes out of the way first.
I found the beds too hard but others in our group had no issue with this (may be I'm just spoilt in having a very comfortable bed at home).
The Feather pillows crushed down to nothing once you put your head upon them so it was like having no pillow at all. Some alternative pillows (perhaps foam or latex would have been nice but they were not available)
Also the window of our room was on an angle with a supporting beam in the way so the curtains didn't quite cover the whole of the window however there was a blind to cover the gap. Unfortunately the blind wasn't blackout like the curtains so the room was never really dark.
Again a small point, easily rectified, but annoying considering the price.
Also our room was on the same floor as the wellness centre and although we had a bar separating our balcony for the wellness centre balcony each evening we were treated to the sight of people coming out of the wellness centre on to the balcony and disrobing presumably to cool down but it could have been to show off, who knows? Not for the squeamish! Obviously if your room is not on the second floor this won't be an issue/advantage (delete as applicable)
Only a few more gripes to go, promise!
They charge for tap water with dinner, considering what they charge for wine (very good wine by the way) I find this a little distastefully in a money grabbing penny pinching kind of way and they don't need to do it as it only tarnishes their reputation.
The food is excellent and I'm loathed to pick holes and I know I shouldn't but again in the pursuit of excellence I feel have to bring it up. Every course, all seven of them are superb, except sometimes the main course. Why? Because the chef seems to have an over reliance on a veal reduction which is served with far too many main courses. Don't get me wrong it's nice but it gets repetitive and a little cloying as the week goes on. Also on one evening they served 'beef steak' for the main, we couldn't identify what cut of beef it was but it was tough and of course it was served in a veal jus! A better quality cut would have been more in keeping with the high standard of the rest of the food that night.
Last gripe I promise.
When some of our party raised concerns (ok complained) about being charged for tap water and suggested that the use of veal jus was a little excessive the manager became very defensive, almost aggressive in a 'how dare you question what we do kind of way' which is a shame because with very little effort they could move from a very good hotel to an exceptional hotel.
Now the good bits.
The staff are superb, very courteous, friendly, helpful and always smiling!
The food is,overall, delicious, in fact it's better than that, it's fantastic.
If you go here you'll have a great time.
Access to the Fimbatal Gondola is relatively easy thanks to the underground travelator.
The rooms are immaculately clean.
The hotel is well located for easy access to apes ski at either end of town
The hotel public areas are well appointed and comfortable,
Don't be put off by this review it is an very good experience the review was aimed more at the hotel management/owners because they are 96% there they just need to add that extra 4%

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor rooms that share a balcony with the spa
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends