Pension Sonja
TripAdvisor
Hotel Sonne(Niederau)
  • Restaurant
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We had a fabulous time here in February 2013. Such a welcoming family and it was a great alternative to the hotels in the village. They really made us feel at home every morning at breakfast. Plus our room was very warm and cosy. Amenities in the room were basic but perfectly good.

Very convenient for the supermarket opposite. Only 3-5 minutes walk to the closest ski lift and less than 10 minutes to the main gondola.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RebeccaGall
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We have stayed first time here and we would like to come back again. One week ski holiday in Niederau was perfect for us. The area is perfect for beginner and intermediate also. The first slope is only 1 minute away from the hotel. About the hotel: the room was big enough, very clean and warm at wintertime, nice balcony. Michael and Teresa are very friendly and helpful people they care about you 100%. We don't travel very often, we would like to try other places but we definitely want to come back here. Thank you and thanks for Crystal too.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Istvan1978
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I've stayed at Haus Sonja several times over the last few years, both summer and winter. The Dummer family are now friends and there is nothing that Michael and Rezi won't do to help your stay become a great one. The rooms are large, comfortable, warm and secure. Ther eis aleays gallons of hot water and the shower in each room is fabulous. The haus itself is a few minutes walk from the village centre with a large supermarket immediately opposite. Breakfast is very personalised: Michael and Rezi will make sure you have what you want/need and then more! The breads, meats and cheeses are utterly fresh: Rezi knows I like the black bread (schwarzebrot), the 'speck' and my boiled egg in the little Milka eggcup! The fresh coffee is to die for! The views from the haus are fantastic, in both summer and winter: the 'wanderweg' is right across the road, behind the supermarket, and the bus stop is a minute walk down the road. Both Michael and Rezi speak very good English and they are happy to help you practise a little German. Before now, they have stored my ski boots in the cellar, and when I needed hospital treatment a few years ago, they did everything to help and support. I've stayed here with a friend, but also alone, and I always feel safe and welcomed. Dogs are also welcome, and I wish I could take my Cavalier there. Last month, Rezi asked me to stay with her mother in law in the haus behind, because the Sonja was full: I took this a great compliment, and I was, indeded, able to ski to the door of my room. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank 452LTD_12452
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed here 24 to 31st Dec 2011 for a week only regret is that we couldnt stay longer. Its a great base which is warm, clean and very welcoming. Ideal for skiing 2mins from drag lift from which you can ski across to chair lift, other drag lifts or the gondola. Its within easy walking distance of a good chioce of restaurants and bars and there's a nice cafe in the mini market across the road with free wifi. The resort is very friendly and is a good place to chill out and relax. I can only agree with the two previous reviewers and say this hotel really is a little gem.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank NicJB
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Firstly, the previous review is spot on - I can only agree with everything said so far.

We stayed at Pension Sonja for a week at the end of January 2011.

The rooms are spotless, spacious enough, have good views, very well insulated and warm.

Teresa and Mike are very helpful - there are a few things which make Pension Sonja really special.
- The entrance has a trophy room as Mike used to be an award winning ski champ
- Mike plays the tuba in the local band and can sometimes be heard (faintly) practicing in the basement.
- This establishment was built by their parents and is a truly family run guest house
- As the previous reviewer mentioned, the guests are quite international (UK visitors largely have not found this one yet), and some of the guests that we met have been coming for 30 years

The breakfast is more than ample, and we found great care and thought was put into excellent presentation, and making sure that everyone got enough to eat and drink.

As mentioned, this guesthouse does not offer half or full board, which is a slight minus. If you are looking for a very social venue, this is probably not a good one - it's very quiet and peaceful.

Of course the main point is the skiing, and you can ski from the heated boot room to a nearby lift and across to the main gondola and chairlift.

The MPreis is just across the road - they have free wifi if you buy something from the cafe (like a coffee etc).

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple