“Summer Wonderland.”
Review of Hotel Sonnschein

Hotel Sonnschein
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Niederau
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel run by an English woman is super. There are two parts, an old and new, My room was in the new where the rooms all have balconies with lovely views of the valley and the mountains.
The hotel was not full as summer is not as busy as the winter season.The staff were helpful and the hotel was very clean.
I would have liked some regional food specialities though, like strudlel and snitchel. The main courses were served plated which is not to everyone's liking. The salads were very good.
There was no choice of soups or deserts at dinner.
The hotel is in a good position for walks and the chairlift.
The hotel is reached on winding ,mountain roads through great trees,

Room Tip: If you can not find the towels in your beautiful bathroom look up and on a shelf, about 6 feet from...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank L M W

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've stayed at the Sonnschein 3 times, twice this year (but I had to leave 3 months between reviews) Stayed here with my Family New Year 2014 and went back again end Jan 2014 with a group of disabled skiers with the charities The Jumbulance Trust and Disability Snowsports UK. Great hotel, good facilities, well set up for disabled travellers and all the staff were really helpful and accomodating to our groups needs. The rooms we had were very spacious and comfortable with good accessible bathrooms. Just makes disabled skiing so much easier with a good hotel. Already planning 2 groups for January 2015 back to the same place!!!

Room Tip: Family rooms are very spacious but the accessible rooms on the newer wing are better for disabled tr...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2014

A quality Hotel in a beautiful setting run by lovely people.
Gill is a star, nothing is too much trouble for her.
Good food and the local brew, (Zipfer), is very moorish.
The Tyrolean Evening was a superb night out.
The swimming pool and spa area were just perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, there are plenty in this hotel with spectacular scenery to enjoy
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard D
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel is in a pleasant location in the mountains. Our room was spacious, but I would not rate this hotel 4 star. The food was average and the 2 waitresses were unfriendly and sullen (unusual for Austria) and just plonked the next course down even if we had not finished eating the previous one. One man on our table was rudely snapped at when he requested tap water. At the end of our holiday they gave us a basket so that we could put a tip in it for them, even though we had such bad service! The worst problem was the plumbing which was very erratic. While having a shower the water suddenly became extremely hot and then really cold. I scalded my back and head. Apparently this happened to several other people. The next day we only had cold water all day, so could not shower. We reported it to Gill, the owner, who was helpful, but the problem continued. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mary r
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed at the Sonnschein as a volunteer for DSUK (Disability Snowsports UK) and one of their activity weeks as a helper.

First impressions
I've stayed in a fair few Austrian hotels and this one was one of the best. On arrival, Gill (the British owner) was very welcoming, we'd arrived fairly late, so we got our room keys quickly and dumped bags and rushed down for dinner (they'd kept the kitchen open for late arrivals). We needn't have rushed - the staff were extremely patient and let us get on with things at our own pace.

Staff
The staff in the restaurant were really helpful - nothing was too much effort - there was one waitress (short blonde/white hair) who was so efficient that we guessed she may actually be a robot. All the staff made an effort to say hi and smile - a little thing that is often forgotten elsewhere.

Food was good - Breakfast was filling with loads of choice including my favourite bacon and eggs. Evening meals always had a few options to choose from each day (ordered at breakfast) - I had food envy occasionally because others picked something that looked super tasty when it arrived, but I was always happy with my own selection. Desserts are a little too fussy for me, but then I'm not really a pudding person, so I opted for cheese and biscuits most nights instead.

We were a large group (around 30 in total) so had been allocated our own dining space, which was bright and cheery - right next to the bar too, which was handy for drinks after.

Beer
Beer prices are very reasonable.

Rooms
The room I shared with another helper (who I was meeting for the first time there) was really spacious. It was in the original wing of the hotel on first floor (overlooking front of hotel). Also it had separate beds - always a nice surprise in Austria - and a large sofa bed. The room we had was fairly typical of Austrian hotels - a little old fashioned with lots of wood. Our room could be updated, but that's part of the charm of Austria. My bed was a little squeaky/creaky, but overall comfy. We also had a kitchenette area with fridge, sink, hobs and microwave.

We were also helping out with a few of the disabled skiers, so managed to see a few of the rooms in the new wing - again spacious and comfy with the more typical Austrian twin beds though. In the wheelchair access rooms the bathrooms were huge and the single room was a decent size - enough room for cat swinging. All the rooms I saw had balconies - all a decent size - handy for smokers, checking the views or storing a few beers to keep them cold.

Spa area
I'm a big spa/wellness fan. The steam room was very small (four people at a squeeze) - and didn't have a hose to wash it down, but produced a lot of steam. the first sauna is again quite cosy - signs asking people not to wear swimming costumes, but also to keep bits covered with a towel. As there is quite a British contingent at the hotel, most ignored the costume part, but definitely kept covered up.
The there are 2 pools - one is a hot pool with jets for the family - some jets worked - others didn't. Through the next doorway was a sign that made me happy 'ADULTS ONLY' - unfortunately I seemed to be the only one who saw this sign. here was another pool - a modern pool with underwater jets - very nice, little chilly if wanting to stand around on jets, but good temp for doing a few laps. One more door with a screen hiding what was on the other side (again with an 'Adults only' sign). and another sauna, relaxation area and infrared cabin (and a couple of nice showers). Finally somewhere the kids and Brits avoided (thankfully). If you want a proper sauna - head over here, kick your trunks or bikini off, grab a towel and appreciate the Austrian spa experience as nature intended - if not stick to the first one please.

Smoking
The whole place was fully non-smoking indoors - if you want a fag, go out on your balcony or out the front door.

My only negative - WiFi
Not the greatest speeds attained - slow - especially at busy times and costs a euro per hour (I think) but you can always use free WiFi in the bars close to the slope if you are desperate to update Facebook.

Location
5-10 minute walk to lifts and slopes. 3 quarters of the distance is flat then a bit of an uphill for the last section. Cash point and supermarket about 10-15 minutes walk. Nearest bar (outside of the hotel) Cave Bar - good fun night out with Elvis, Karaoke and a nice atmosphere.

Skiing/boarding
Smallish area which is much better for skiers than boarders due to irritating flat sections - however if you are just learning either you will love it - really nice wide beginner slopes, and some fun progressive sections up high. perfect for kids - the lifties are very patient and helpful.

Good for
Anyone wanting a nice relaxed holiday with good food, well sized rooms and some great beginner or intermediate skiing will love it. Also disabled skiers are more than welcome and accommodated - if you are considering trying this out give a DSUK week a try out, I'm sure they'll be back next year.

Room Tip: New wing are a bit more modern, but all rooms I saw were nice.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank magicpatmarker
Reviewed 27 March 2014

From the welcoming smile from Gill it seemed everyone was special. The hotel must see a lot of folks through the door but the staffed really cared about you.
Food was very good, filling and quality did not lack at all. Bedrooms were clean and every day tidy and clean towels. The bonus of the swimming area again was clean and robes were supplied.( hairdryers in the rooms)
Just because we visited in the hot week, in March, of blue skies and sunshine this just added to us non skiers a perfect week.
We will be back. Ted and Jan
Room 204

Room Tip: The lift is great so no problem with stairs for upstair rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ted R
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed in the Hotel Sonnschein from Sat 15th March - Sat 22nd March. We found the hotel to be extremely helpful and friendly. We stayed in room number 12, a spacious family room. Our 5yr old and 6yr old shared the very large sofa bed and my husband and I had an equally large kingsize bed. There were also two armchairs and a table and two outdoor chairs on the balcony. The bathroom was large with a bath and separate large shower cubicle. The room was cleaned daily and the beds were made, which was lovely to come back to after a days skiing. Niederau is a beautiful small traditionally Austrian resort. We loved that we could walk from the hotel to the nursery slopes in 5 minutes and that there was a large boot and ski storage room literally at the bottom of the slopes. We found the hotel food to be lovely, soup and salad every evening and then a choice of 3 main courses followed by dessert, with a children's option everyday also. We were very grateful for the two swimming pools at the hotel which helped to stretch and relax tired legs after our skiing. The pools were nice and warm and the children loved them. I also liked that the hotel had excellent laundry facilities which I used twice during our stay. The washing machine and separate tumble dryer were large and looked brand new and at 7 euros per wash (washed and dried) I didn't think this was too bad, and nice not to come home with mountains of washing. The hotels decor is typically Austrian - if you are looking for minimalist chic then this isn't the place for you, but if like us you want somewhere warm, friendly and comfortable within easy walking distance of the slopes then you couldn't do much better. We certainly hope to be returning on another family holiday soon and can honestly say this was one of the best holidays we have ever had.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jonnysbird
Also consider these accommodations in or near Niederau
Hotel Schneeberger
#3 of 25 in Wildschonau
Sportresort Hohe Salve
Sportresort Hohe Salve
#1 of 4 in Hopfgarten im Brixental

Been to Hotel Sonnschein? Share your experiences!