4 of us (2 couples) stayed in Chalet Christophorus in Jan2014. A nice place, good location, nice food, and great staff. Nice chalet, but there were a few let-downs.
We flew from Gatwick to Innsbruck, all very easy, and a short transfer. No complaints. Coach dropped us off at the end of the road to the chalet, short walk to a warm welcome.
We were not the 4th floor (there is a lift). I don't recall the number but we shared a balcony with our friends. The room was fine, nothing too swanky but we didn't expect that. There are 2 singles (pushed together for our double), a TV (we didn't use it so not sure how good), a good size wardrobe, a safe, and a sofa.
Unfortunately we soon discovered that the beds were not very comfortable at all. I sleep easily and rarely wake, but the mattress offered no support, and the pillows were like someone had removed most of the inside. My wife had the same problem, and she actually slept a few of the nights on the sofa to try to get more comfort. Other guests said the same.
Rather basic, bath shower, sink, hair dryer, toilet (separate room). We were not provided any soap in the sink though. We were given a towel each for the week.
Lovely, no complaints. I am not a high class eater, but I felt each meal was well prepared, cooked well, good variation, and tasty. I was also fairly full up each night (which is tough to do with me). You eat with all the other guests, and they encourage mingling by changing the seating arrangements each night. We were also treated to a cake each afternoon, again, very nice. Wine was nice, but I am in no way an expert.
This really is right on the slopes, if you look at the piste map the chalet is right at the bottom of 'wiesenlift'. To get up to the mountains you have to take the mini drag up for 30 seconds, then down to the bottom of festkoglbahn lift. This all looks great, and it is, but the bottom of Roßkarbahn lift is a better location, especially if you are a beginner as the area around Bruggenbodenlift is great, but not straight forward to get to without a bus/skido/long ski. You can ski back to your door.
Great, all really nice, made us feel welcome, were polite, helpful, and very pleasant. Service was good, can't fault them.
We did the quiz, which was good fun, and the curling, which was also good, but perhaps a little lack of expertise from the people running it. Have to mention here that we won both! :)
Sauna down the bottom. It's fine, shower area, a few lounging seats, and a hot sauna.
I saved this until last as I thought this was where the chalet is awful. I think I should list the problems:
- boot room not locked at all, even though the door to it is outside, I constantly feared my board would get pinched
- there is no lock on the front door, anyone can walk in, anytime
- we were encouraged to leave our room keys in cubby holes in the dining area
- the owner of the property has a part of the chalet that they live in, which doesn't have separate access, in fact, the door to this area is right by the cubby hole for the keys, so there are regularly non-guests wandering around the area where you have left your keys (including the owner's son and his friends, who liked to do things like pour loads of chocolate powder in the milk jug, throw things out of doors, and generally make lots of notice)
It would be v easy to turn up there one afternoon, walk in, grab all the keys, and ransacking everyone's rooms, then coming back at night and swipe everyone's skis. This could all be fixed by a key combi lock on the front door, and to lock the boot room at night.
You don't expect perfection when you stay in a chalet, but this lost 2 stars for the beds, and the poor security. I would stay again, but would bring my own pillow, and some locks for my snowboard, but only after looking at the hotels at the bottom of Roßkarbahn lift first.
As a side note, the slopes were great, I am a boarder and my friend plus wives are skiers. Between Obergurgl and Hochgurgl there is enough to keep you busy, not loads of slopes, but all good fun, and some great fun for some intermediate off-pistes. Beginners there are loads of blues, especially in Hochgurgl where there are motorways. Not many slopes in the trees, so visibility can get poor.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Chalet Christophorus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chalet Christophorus Hotel Obergurgl