“Excellent stay-ignore the negative reviews!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Chalet Schlosshof

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Anton am Arlberg
Chalet Schlosshof
Cumbria, UK
“Excellent stay-ignore the negative reviews!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stayed at Chalet Schlosshof as a group of 6 in March 2012. There was very little in the way of reviews prior to our trip but for the price we paid we were expecting budget accommodation. Then a few reviews started to appear on Trip Advisor and we became a little worried what we were going to be getting-in the end we came away pleasantly surprised.

I don’t really understand the negative reviews. St Anton is an expensive resort from accommodation to the cost of a pint by Austria standards it’s expensive but a small price to pay to ski one of the world best ski areas. Relative to what you (or certainly we) paid Schlosshof was great.

Location isn’t great if I’m honest. The chalet sits at the top of a pretty steep hill in Nasserein, it’s not actually the chalet that’s location is bad per se but Nasserien relative to St Anton. There are a few bars-Dooley’s being the closest about a 5 min walk I think Nasserein would have been fine if there was a supermarket but it was trek to walk into St Anton to get to the only supermarket I knew of (Spar). Being Low Key I’d say the location is best suited to families. Ski wise the location is fine the free bus stops directly outside the chalet every half hour, but stops at 6 so if you fancy a bit of après then it’s a loooong walk with all your gear!

We didn’t get the rooms we were allocated on booking 2 rooms were on the main ‘living floor’ adjacent to the kitchen, dinning room, and lounge. I’d often get woken up by general noise in the morning. The other room was on the ground floor which seemed a much better bet if I had the choice again but it seemed to go out the window once we were the last party to arrive. The room was large with more than enough storage; the beds were pretty uncomfortable if I’m honest and creaked like mad every time you moved. I’m not picky usually and will sleep like a log in most places but struggled to get a good nights sleep at times. Shared bathroom facilities were fine, always clean and the shower was really powerful with plenty of hot water.

Dinning area was plenty big enough, and assumed from the number the chalet was at full capacity. The food (evening meal) was probably the best part about the chalet and having stayed in many other catered chalets-including a few with Crystal and would say the food was the best I’d had on a catered chalet basis. Red and white wine kept coming as long as you wanted and was of a decent standard. Breakfast was a bit of a poorer showing, not really much of the hot option but plenty of cereals, fruit, yoghurts etc which is all I’m after for breakfast anyhow. The lounge was comfortable enough but not big enough to seat everyone in the chalet at once maybe 12-14 comfortably tops. The Chalet staff were hit and miss but did their jobs fine, one girl was pretty miserable, the lad never really left the kitchen and mingled but one girl always mingled and was chatty, polite and was great.

Won’t go into much detail about the ski area other than say it is about the best I’ve been to. Coupled with a short bus or taxi ride to get to Lech and Zurs you have a huge area to go at with endless off piste too.

In summary like with most things you get what you pay for. Subtracting what the flight would roughly cost, transfer etc you’re paying next to nothing for your accommodation and to be fed and watered for a week (excluding the chalet staffs day off) it’s excellent value.

You could easily spend 10 times as much for accommodation in St Anton but I go on my ski holidays to ski so all I want is a bed and hot shower and the Chalet certainly exceeded my expectations. For those who have given really negative reviews do your research next time and/or lower your expectations for the price you want to pay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the first floor if possible-these are adjacent to the kitchen and unless you're a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Benjii

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Baku
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

When I originally booked my holiday I was unable to find any reviews of this chalet, however before departing I found all these very negative reviews and was very apprehensive of what to expect. However when we arrived we found the chalet to be clean tidy and very comfortable. The staff we're excellent and really made us feel at home, showed us around town and ski runs etc. We had hot water all the time and the food was very good. Ski bus stops literally outside the door and a taxi back from town after midnight is only 8 euro (cheap between 5 or 6 people), although most nights I walked back.

Only criticism would be that there we're only 2 showers/toilets per floor, which was slightly to few for the 8/9 people on our floor in the morning.

All in all I found the chalet excellent and I would defiantly go back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rob G
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

A "chalet" (more like hostel) that is crying out to be flattened. Lost count of the times i smashed my head off the roof. Communal toilets were grotty on our floor, shower doubled as laundery room - with heaven knows what thrown around the floor. Plus, if you like your showers cold, this is the place for you. Also located a bit off the beaten track.

The restaurent 5 mins down the road was ace with superb staff...so not all doom and gloom peeps!

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank martini00

Travellers are raving about these St. Anton am Arlberg hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

To start I do not want this review to reflect on the staff. They were absolutely fantastic in every aspect and they did the best with what they had.

This chalet is in a very poor state. It is what can only be described as a tatty hostel. The fixtures and fittings are in a poor state of repair. The beds are nothing more than a low quality foam and creek everytime you roll over. Other guests informed me they had put the foam on the floor and pushed the frames against the wall. Basin surround was cracked and pipes from the basins are exposed. The one lamp in the room did not work and the towell rail was damged and not even mounted straight. The comunnal showers leaked over the floor. Paint on radiators and doors and frames is scratched and flaked and makeshift repairs are evident throughout.

The one television in the lounge is broken and the main stairway is poorly lit with cheap fairy lights.

I believed that travelling with Crystal would mean good quality accomodation but as Dave.Matt.99 say, they should be ashamed and should put what money they took from us to give people what they pay for and completely gut and renovate this awful chalet.

Room Tip: Do not go if you like quality and comfort.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sunski u
Coggeshall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

I had a very enjoyable week at the Schlosshof over Christmas 2011.

Yes, the chalet is not luxurious, but it was clean, the food was excellent, and the staff very friendly and helpful. You get what you pay for, and this chalet was good value for money.

It is a bit of a stiff climb back from the town if you do walk, but there's a bus stop right outside!

The only real criticism I have is the lack of satisfactory ski/board/boot storage facilities.

Don't be put off by an earlier review - give it a try!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Brian M
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

The worst accommodation I have stayed in.......Crystal should be ashamed....they didn't even respond to our feedback forms...

I stayed here during a ski trip January 2011 in short it is a converted farm house which is not fit for purpose..

The food that greeted us on arrival was luke warm soup, the staff whilst never rude were totally incompetent...young staff just interested in getting out of there as soon as possible..like I said they were never rude just unable to cook, clean, have no idea about basic service standards or offer advise when asked questions.

We specified a room with a separate bathroom, what they didn't advise was that you had to be under 5ft tall to get into the bath due to the sloping roof above it the same goes for the toilet which you had to sit down. The rooms in general are of poor quality but what makes it worse is that they are not cleaned properly. The food as mention was so poor we ate out 3 nights even though fully catered and we could not believe that the staff were not embarrassed to serve the cooked breakfast it was that poor...the dining are is also so small that the staff cannot get around the table and neither can the guests..the crockery is tired and chipped...but you will not want to eat there anyway.
We were advised to avoid one of the bathrooms as "the permanent residents" use it and it's not great...which begs the question..why don't you clean it the?? (see photo)

In short I would not recommend this "Chalet" to anybody but those who just want to get smashed every night and don't care what soever about cleanliness or having food that is edible...

Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dave.Matt.99
stockport
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

Unless there is no other option, don't book this chalet. As it's run by Crystal I thought it would be of a decent standard but to be fair, it's pretty poor. Unfortunately when I was looking at the chalet I couldn't find any comments or reviews for the place so here are a few reasons for and against.

For

It's a decent price for St Anton especially for a catered chalet.

Against

The rooms are more of a hostel standard than a chalet. Very basic and crammed. We were lucky enough to have a bath in our room but most of the time the hit water was lukewarm at best. He sink and the bath were pretty old and had dirt marks that wouldn't come off. Theres no way you could stand in the bath as it had a low ceiling being on the top floor which made it difficult to get in and out of the bath. There was a curtain to separate the bathroom from the bedroom which had a 3" gap as well so if you're sharing bare this in mind.

The food was pretty poor. I had to ask for breakfast most mornings and received completely black bacon. In fact there were 3 occasions throughout the week when the food was burnt so we ended up eating out quite a bit.

The dining room is really tight to fit 18-20 people in and the lounge area is just 5 sofas shoved into a room. They don't fit well and look pretty beat up.

The staff were friendly enough and would clean the chalet but it's so run down that it doesn't help much.

Unfortunately, my memories of st anton are more about the poor accommodation rather than great snowboarding so I would recommend paying a bit more and getting more value from your holiday.

I'm aware that there is only 1 positive point in this review but it's as fair as I can be

• Stayed January 2011