Haus Kurt Ebner
Hotel Schwarzer Adler(St. Anton am Arlberg)
TripAdvisor
Skihotel Galzig(St. Anton am Arlberg)
Official Site
Hotel Kertess(St. Anton am Arlberg)
TripAdvisor
Sporthotel St. Anton(St. Anton am Arlberg)
TripAdvisor
Der Waldhof(St. Anton am Arlberg)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Kristall(St. Anton am Arlberg)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Rosa Canina(St. Anton am Arlberg)
TripAdvisor
Grieshof Hotel(St. Anton am Arlberg)
Priceline
Hotel Grischuna(St. Anton am Arlberg)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Banyan(St. Anton am Arlberg)
  • Pool
All reviewsparty locationpaying guestsexcellent locationclean roomsfantastic stayhausliftskiingslopes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I made a very late booking in the Kurt Ebner pension, getting a triple room as no singles or doubles were available throughout St Anton for the 4 nights that I was seeking (Wed Mar 12th leaving Sun Mar 16th). I was travelling with two other reasonably like minded males in their 50s / 60s.
I should have heeded the red flag when I saw the words “homey& comfortable” in the blurb describing the pension. Translation to English means “no spare room for the cat and clapped out”. Christine, (Kurt’s trouble& strife – literally!) had advised that the room was on the ground floor –translation – it’s in the cellar! The directions are that it’s 50m from the Nasserein cable car – it’s more like 200m, but I quibble.
We arrived at midnight – no problem as we had called ahead to say we would be late. Christine was all smiles; Kurt (not a pretty sight in his dressing gown) was the opposite. We were shown to our homey room with the bathroom off a small lobby area. We asked for a spare key as we needed some lubrication and fodder. A spare would be provided in the morning on condition a deposit of €50 was paid. Raised eyebrows but we let it slide.
Breakfast was the usual fare in Austrian b&b’s. We were assigned a small table for 3 at the top of the stairs. Kurt got grumpy when we moved but we thought he would get over it. I asked for a fresh pot of coffee but was told to finish the existing one first and even had it poured for me –very helpful.
We had a few great days skiing with other friends and then one horrendous day when the chair lift was closed because of high winds – approx 100 skiers were forced to literally climb down via a ski route that had more muck and trees than snow. How anyone wasn’t seriously injured, I don’t know. Anyway, I digress, this had nothing to do with Haus Kurt.
Last morning at breakfast, I asked if we could leave our bags until 4.00pm. Christine said simply NO, not no, we have other guests coming, the dog ate the homework, just NO. I asked if we could use the shower in the lobby, to be again told NO. We were however welcome to use the public pool about 500m away!
We returned the spare key and received a refund of the €50. We paid the €1,050 (€87.50 per head per night!) and I had my passport returned. Consternation broke out when we couldn’t find the original key. Two of us were packing our gear in our rental when Kurt kindly explained that he didn’t know the custom in Ireland but it was not the custom in Austria to not return the key – excuse the double negative, his words, not mine. He then proceeded to lock the gate in case we were planning to do a runner with the original key. Unbelieveable.
Meanwhile my other companion was still in the basement packing and looking for the errant key. He requested that Christine leave the room so that he could complete his packing in a less stressful environment. She advised him that it was her room and she would be staying. He told her that if needs be we would pay the €50 to sort the matter out. She countered saying that the €50 was a deposit and the true cost of the key was €80 – she needs to change hardware suppliers, or is this a new profit centre for b&b owners?
I was worried about my buddy so headed for the dungeon in case he was chained to the wall (Austrian stereotyping I know, but I had genuine fears). We magically found the key and returned it with great delight and ceremony. Our final request was doomed to failure. We asked if we could leave the car in their enclosed carpark – which had one other car and room for about 6. You guessed it – NO. We had to move the car to a public car park and pay for the day.
All in all, quite the worst hospitality experience I have ever had.
Standard of room - 0 out of 10 – surely there are some local regulations about minimum standards – I will be contacting St Anton tourism who advised me initially about the vacancy.
Cleanliness - 3 out of 10 – I would have given more if there was a fan in the kasi but with the Austrian diet, altitude flatulence issues and three males, the pong did accumulate.
Location – 4 out of 10 – near the cable car but not as near as advertised. 10 minute walk into town
Sleep Quality – 3 out of 10 – triple room for 3 males is not conducive to sleeping
Food – 3 out of 10 – zero variety, usual breakfast offering, not enough seats for all visitors, so some delays but friendly bunch of skiers –no I’m not talking about lift queues, just the breakfast one.
Value for money – 0 out of 10 - €87.50 per head per night???? Did they really think that they had a 3 or 4 star offering? If we weren’t stuck I would have offered a max of €30, even at the end of high season.
Service / Friendliness – 0 out of 10 – I wouldn’t even recommend it to the mother in law (in reality she is really nice though)

8  Thank JAGDublin
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Yes, this is a pretty quiet place to stay. There are a few "house rules", but they make sense (don't wear dirty shoes around the house, leave your key in the house during the day for cleaning, and don't bring in a bunch of smelly take-out food to eat in the room late at night). This is not a party location, but if you're a reasonable person/group looking for a comfortable, quiet place to base your adventure in St. Anton, this fits the bill. You want to stay out late drinking, wake everyone up on your way home in the wee hours of the morning (I was once one of those folks, then I grew up) - stay elsewhere.

The location is perfect. As others have said - 50 meters to the Nassereinbahn and about an 8 minute walk to the town center. Again, away from all of the noise if you're into that sort of thing)

I've stayed in five different places over the past ten years in St. Anton, and each has tradeoffs. If location (close to lift, quick walk to town), peace and quiet are your thing, this is the place. Note, too, that the breakfast here was essentially the same variety as every other place I've stayed, so I'm not sure what some of the other reviewers were expecting.

The Ebners were very friendly and took an interest in my day and my trip. They were gracious, caring, and helpful hosts. If you want to stay at a place where you never see the owners, again, this is the wrong place. If you'd like to spend a few minutes each day chatting with the other guests and the owners over breakfast or on your way back from the slopes, this is it. Price was very good too…

I would stay here again any time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nyanom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Worst hospitality experience ever bar none. I'm not a regular Trip Advisor user and never thought to check up before I went. The other terrible reviews are all spot on.
Let's just say that Kurt and Christine might be better suited to numerous other careers and not running a b&b. I probably wouldn't be allowed post my true thoughts on what would be most suitable!
Our ground floor room was actually a cellar with no windows. It was also less than 10 sq m for a triple room.
Everywhere else on check out day I have been allowed to leave my bags and come back for a shower - not necessarily in my own room but somewhere in the facility. Not so here; they wouldn't even let us leave the car in the car park, even though it had only one other car.
Do your self a favour and don't go on holidays at all rather than stay here, or if you have to, bring a tent. Believe me you won't be sorry.

2  Thank elzerbelzer
Reviewed 18 March 2014

One month before actual arrival we received the booking confirmation via e-mail.

Upon the day of arrival two out of 4 people kindly entered the building.
Immediately, without any reason we were told to 'GET OUT'.
In very unprofessional and unpleasant way.
"You Dutch people are all the same", was the only 'comment'.

Not the best way to start a vacation you really look forward too.

2  Thank neefherbert
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We've just come back from Sankt Anton. After 6 nights by the Ebner Family, I could say that it was just what we needed: good price, excellent location, very clean, nice breakfast. The cable car is right next to the house and you could came back at the hotel skiing. I, personally, like to go skiing from 9 AM to 3-4 PM, than have some beers with Jegermeisters at a nice bar, have an early dinner and go to bed at 9 PM. Maybe if you want to have party until the early hours this is deffinitely not your place, otherwise go there! The only thing that I missed was a small spa (at least sauna), but if you really need it go somewhere else and pay double... We didn't go to the Wellness center of Sankt Anton, but it was a 5 min. away from the hotel (18 EUR/ adult for swimming pool and sauna), it works till 10 PM. I am recommending the Ebner house to all that have my vision for a skiing holiday.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple