“Best Holiday yet”

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in St Johann in Tirol
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Best Holiday yet”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We have been our annual holiday in austria for the past 9 years and this year at the Bruckenwirt has been the best yet.
From the very warm welcome to the tearful farewell we could not have wished for anything better.
Bedroom suite was very clean and comfortable with a fantastic view of the Wilder Kaiser mountain
Food excellent, staff very cheerful and helpful.
Enjoyed the experience that much we have booked up for next year

Room Tip: rooms with balcony cost a bit extra but well worth it
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Billat55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Wick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I must fully agree with some of the comments regarding the supposed 4 star rating of this hotel. The images used in web sites fail to show the worn out state of the interior. For instance beds which at first glance resmble those in the photos but turn out to be nothing but a chipboard box with a mattress on top, broken lightfittings, leaking shower, dark burgundy uninviting decor in the rooms, sauna not switched on, tv with very poor reception.
In general the interior decor appears to have been created as an experiment by someone without a clue, who has forgotten that it is intended for guests comfort. A guest lounge is not available hence nowhere to unwind after a days skiing, and as for the bar, there are more staff using it than there are paying guests (hard to tell if it was open or closed).
It all changes however when you visit the restaurant. The two waitressess can't do enough to help you, either by serving or informing you of the local area. It was almost as if the restaurant was in another hotel.The evening meals and breakfast were excellent although it was obvious by the lower standard, when the regular chef was on day off.
In general I would say look elsewhere, unless all you want from your holiday is a good meal !

Room Tip: Look elsewhere !
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank nisbet45

Travellers are raving about these St Johann in Tirol hotels

Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel in Feb 2013 with my sister and my daughter.
The accommodation was cramped as they just stuck a campbed into what would otherwise have been a double room. Nevertheless it was comfortable.

We stayed half-board and I cannot complain about the food. There was a good variety of breakfast options, and the 5-course dinner was excellent. I enjoyed all of the evening meals, except one - but the other courses made up for it.

The staff were lovely, but the "lady" who owns the place needs some lessons in manners.
When we arrived, after an 8 hour journey, she chose to ignore us and other new arrivals for nearly 20 minutes while she typed stuff into a computer. Later in the week, she shouted at me because, while waiting my turn at reception, the bar tender asked if he could help me, and before I could answer she shouted at me to wait my turn. Unnecessary nastiness!

Her behaviour was atrocious, and I will not stay in this hotel again.
Congratulations to Melissa and Stefan for being wonderful hosts.

Room Tip: Rooms are only suitable for two people.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank maryjo_7
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Drinking your own bottle of water in the lounge? Not allowed
Taking a shower in the sauna before you leave? Not allowed
Do you have problems with the heater in your room? It's your own problem
Want to have a nice dinner? Don't go to this hotel

At the other hand:
Nice rooms, good price, good location.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

This is an old fashioned, traditional, family run hotel which captures the true essence of a hotel in a skiing village and was perfect. We arrived at about 07h00 and they had our rooms ready which was great after our long flight and offered us breakast as well. The rooms were comfortable, clean and warm at all times. The staff were truly amazing and the owner was a delight to chat to as she knew south Africa. Everybody in the hotel was so warm, friendly and made us feel at home. The meals were always delicious and our waitress in the mornings always remembered how we liked our eggs. She was so sweet and came to say good-bye to us when were checking out. Their spa facilities, sauna and steam room were excellent especially after a long day of skiing. st johann is a magical winter wonderland for skiers and this hotel was perfect. We will be back and have recommended this hotel to our travel agent as well.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jajasa
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 19 October 2012

when i came here with my family i was really suprised by the style of the hotel. It was very beautiful and unique. The rooms was clean and the cleaner ( especially the curly one) was very friendly. What about food, it was delicious all the time, and the breakfast was one of the best we've ever had. All stuff was friendly, and except the little bit higher prices, was everything perfect. We are now recommending this hotel to all ours friends. Next summer we come back :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank maria j
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I occasionally stayed one night at the "Brückenwirt" during my summer holidays where I went on a motorbike tour. I basically chose the hotel because of ist look: not too much of a "touristic facade" andnot too less to look crappy. At the entrance I noted some plates claiming about awards (but from 2009) promising good quality of the rooms and the food.
I have to admit that I was really happy to get a room there after a long journey and was grateful about the pragmatic approach of the manager (and yes there is a parking issue, but usually solved pragmatically).
The room was nice, although its decoration is somewhat outdated but it has a certain charme. It is neat and clean (some dust in one corner) but otherwise clean.
Food is simple and service makes the impression of being a little bit "grumpy" but is still correct and friendly. Food quality is solid but definitively not the category that the plate on the entrance claims. Breakfast has a good variety to offer but the service there was just too lazy (or too much in a rush) to be really good. Coffee was not what I would expect from a 4-Star hotel.

All together it was a good stay but the room was a little bit overpriced. If the price would be a little bit lower I would book this hotel again.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo