“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Martinez
Pocatello, Idaho
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Having had several previous good experiences staying here, I was very dismayed to find out our room was in a hallway that was undergoing renovation, complete with sand-blasting, new paint, noisy machines, and carpet taped over with black paper and all even after 5pm - very unappealing. There was also a sign on the first door that warned of materials being used that the state of California had determined were "cancer-causing," basically to enter at your own risk! Even more unbelievable was the front desk not being able (or willing) to do anything about it. I considered calling the health department to report this, but it was after hours and we were gone the next morning. I did take pictures of both the sign and the hallway, but don't have my cellphone with me at this moment, or I would post them. Not a good way to start a vacation!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FormerCali4nian
callsbrook, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western John Muir Inn, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
We thank you for submitting a guest review. Our team is thrilled that you enjoyed the service and accommodations. We understand how the renovation caused discomfort during your stay. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for the inconveniences this caused. We appreciate you! We hope that you will return and stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

On our initial arrival, there is nice curb appeal and kids from our baseball team were enjoying the pool. This was good. The front lobby was clean and neat and the front desk lady was very nice. When we rode the elevator up to our room, we learned why we couldn't check in a little early. The rooms on our floor were all being replastered and we're freshly painted. The baseboards were all off, plastic was everywhere. Windows were taped up, and drywall texture spatter littered the floors and Windows. Many room numbers were missing and I was asked by total strangers if I knew where a room number was. When we opened our door, we were overtaken with the fumes. It was awful. We had to get out so we could get fresh air. We asked the front desk, but could not be moved anywhere. Had I known I was walking into this, I'd never have stayed here. I am upset at not being told the condition of the rooms. We decided to head to Carrows across the street. Boy if that wasn't downright horrid. Terrible food. They forgot my son's burger. They tried to serve us food from another table that wasn't remotely close to our order, but I digress. It is 4:46 and I am in the lobby writing this because I cannot sleep. Haven't slept at all due to a headache from the fumes of drying paint. The roll away for my son - the kids had to roschambo to see who lost and got stuck on it, is maybe the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on. I asked for a couple of blankets because he just wanted to sleep on the floor and I was given one and told it was the last blanket in the hotel. How is this possible? We had two of our friends children in our room because apparently the fumes in their room was WORSE! The writers for Seinfeld would have loved to create an episode here. Breakfast at the hotel is in an hour and ten minutes, and it better be great so as to provide a tiny bit of redemption for our Sunday of baseball. I'm not holding my breath.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank reel_time33
We thank you for submitting a guest review. Our team is thrilled that you enjoyed the service and accommodations. We understand how the renovation pick up caused discomfort during your stay. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for the inconveniences this caused. We appreciate you! We hope that you will return and stay with us again.

Travellers are raving about these Martinez hotels

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The staff at this hotel is awesome! They are very friendly! Pools is nice, breakfast is good! Also, the manager's reception in the evening is nice after a hard days work! I highly recommend this hotel to anybody who is just passing through or needs to stay a while.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
We thank you for submitting a guest review. Our team is thrilled that you enjoyed the service and accommodations.. We appreciate you! We hope that you will return and stay with us again.
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Unfortunately, I must concur with my fellow travelers who were dismayed to find the hotel under renovation when we arrived. No mention was made to me when I checked in that the hallway on our floor would be full of paint fumes with paint chips ground into the carpet.

A request for a move to a floor where we could breathe was met with open disdain. If we hadn't had a tough time finding a hotel in this area at this time, I would have moved our entire family, which includes two children.

The pool was unheated and when one of my children asked if they could turn on the heater, the person at the desk told her: "It doesn't have one." Really?!?

To top it off, my husband had to skim the pool of debris with the broken skimmer just so we could use it.

Maybe the desk staff was just cranky because it appeared that despite the 90+ degree weather, no a/c was on in the motel itself. The unit in our room, however, worked just fine.

The woman who runs the breakfast room is very sweet. However there was no fresh fruit anywhere to be seen. A tank of fresh water was located in the gym.

Only plus to this place is the location, which is across the street from a great frozen yogurt place, a gourmet market and some decent restaurants.

Too bad, as from the outside, this looks like a nice motel.

Room Tip: Tour buses pull up and load in the front parking lot, so try to get a room in the back.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for submitting a guest review. Your comfort and safety is our number one concern so I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for aThank you for submitting a guest review. Your comfort and safety is our number one concern so I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for any inconvenience that we caused. This review will assist us in improving our response to your needs. I assure you that our staff does not take your feedback lightly, and we will share your comments to improve our guest experience. We hope that you will return and give us another chance. Please feel free to contact me directly should you need any further assistance.
ny inconvenience that we caused.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We had a horrible experience which began as soon as we arrived at the hotel for a late check in. The room had no hot water, and we were woken up at 5 in the morning to a slammed door and loud conversation of construction workers. Apparently, the entire section of the hotel that we were staying in was surrounded by rooms that were under construction, and the construction workers are staying in the rooms right next to us and above us. There was black paper taped to the floors covered in paint, and the whole hallway smells of paint fumes (see pictures). After asking to change rooms four times, the hostess finally agreed to do so, but only for one night. The next morning we were woken up by a phone call telling us to move back into the room where we stayed the first night. The hotel staff should not have booked anyone to stay in our room because of the condition of this part of the hotel. There is no regard for customer satisfaction, and we were treated with no respect. You would think that $100+ per night would get you a place where you can sleep through the night and have hot water. If you are thinking of staying here, don't.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael C
We thank you for submitting a guest review. Our team is saddened that our service and accommodations fell short of exceptional during your past stay. Our Team is closely reviewing your comments to improve our guest experience. Our rooms are now newly renovated with 40" televisions,newly painted rooms with all new bedding. We have replaced the hall way carpets and have added a brand new fitness center.We hope that you will return to enjoy the new amenities.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I booked into this hotel because I couldn't find anything else with a decent price on short notice. Big mistake on my part. 1980's carpet and an ice machine that looks as old and it has leaked many times onto the surrounding area. Room was just painted but that didn't do much good, floor had some sticky substance on it so I had to walk around it while there. Called for an early check-in but that seemed like a large feat for the person I talked to. Managed to get my room cleaned 5 minutes before check-in. Thanks for nothing. I should have known what I was getting into when I walked up to the front door and looked at the pool to my left and saw two old women smoking in the jacuzzi. My room door looked like someone had tried to break into the room several times, the electronic door key card worked off and on, had to do a minimum of 5 or 6 tries before it worked each time. Bathroom is very small and old, had to be careful because a towel rack jutting out from the wall was in the way constantly. Hair dryer had a large piece of plastic out of it. If you have any expectations of staying in a nice clean hotel you might try even motels, there are some that are more than likely better than this place, I won't return. Probably the only positives for me were that there is a strip center across the street, food and other shopping is close by and the A/C was working well. Didn't try the breakfast of evening meal, was too scared to trust them.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Larry W
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the renovation. We are sorry this disturbed your comfort . Your comments are helping us to improve our guest experience and we hope you will consider staying with us again in our newly renovated Hotel
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was a with a group of 25 of my students on a trip to Yosemite and surrounding area. The trip was great, but this hotel was the worst! Saying this place was not clean is an understatement. The floors were not even vacuumed. There were holes in the ceiling stuffed with paper. One of the rooms did not have a shower curtain, another smelled like cigarette smoke, another had something sticky on the carpet. When I overheard the woman at the front desk answer the phone saying it was an Best Western Plus I blurted out that it most definitely was not. Had it been just my husband and I we would have left, but we had booked 7 rooms so there was no option but to stay (and wear flip-flops!)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback . We are sorry this disturbed your comfort and that your interaction with our staff was not pleasant. Your comments have helped us to improve our guest experience and we hope you will consider staying with us again. Now that we are under renovations we hope that you will come back and stay with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinez
Best Western Plus Heritage Inn
Crowne Plaza Concord
Crowne Plaza Concord
#3 of 8 in Concord
Embassy Suites by Hilton Walnut Creek

Been to Best Western John Muir Inn? Share your experiences!