“Passing Through” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Martinez
PASO ROBLES, United States
“Passing Through”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

I was on my way home from a visit to Northern California, and stopped off to see friends in the bay. I booked online a week prior, and based on hotel amenities and pictures I thought I was getting a deal. Upon check-in I found the hotel under construction, and a non-refundable pet deposit due, that was never specifically mentioned during booking my room. The gentleman at the front desk was kind enough to waive the fee for me, but the next morning upon check-out the lady at the desk tried to charge it anyways without telling me. She was pretty rude when I asked about it too. The hotel hallways were littered with trash bags, on the way to getting to my room. I almost fell in the hallway stairs on a bunch of water left by construction workers, or housekeeping. It was just not a good experience, and I generally like Best Westerns. This particular hotel is pretty run down for a BW (probably hence the construction), and was not worth what I paid. I probably wouldn't have minded the construction, and mess had I been made aware of it prior, and had paid a more reasonable rate.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Kelsey D
callsbrook, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN John Muir Inn, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the renovation which is coming to a close Your comments have helped us to improve our guest experience and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Martinez, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Nice and quite, close to nice place to eat. Very good location right off the freeway. Stores close by. Glad I missed the earth quake. Went into San Francisco for a day trip was a nice drive both ways not far at all.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Paul A
Amazing! We appreciate you. Our team is thrilled that you enjoyed the service, accommodations, We look forward to your return.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel late on Aug 8th. To visit family for the weekend. One of which is in declining health. I did see the reviews of the renovations, and thought it would be isolated from areas guests stayed. Boy was I shocked. The renovations were extremely poorly planned, and the girls at the front desk took the brunt of all the hostility. Now I have stayed at this hotel before and it is a nice quiet place, and with all of the renovations being done we will certainly be back to see the finished product.

I also want to say to management who poorly planned this...that I watched daily as Veronica was verbally asaulted daily due to your lack of planning, and she took it with a smile and remained professional considering the circumstances. I want you too recognize her for her excellent mannerism. She is a jewel...

Veronica you are why we will return
See ya next time !

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for submitting a guest review. We strive to deliver upon the promise, which is to ensure that each guest is cared for, valued, and respected. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for any inconvenience that we caused. The Team is reviewing your comments to improve upon our guest experience. I assure you that we understand your point about the inconvenience that you had gone through. We hope that you will return and give our hotel another chance. Our renovation is coming to a close and sincerly hope you will come and enjoy our newly remodeled Hotel.
Pocatello, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Having had several previous good experiences staying here, I was very dismayed to find out our room was in a hallway that was undergoing renovation, complete with sand-blasting, new paint, noisy machines, and carpet taped over with black paper and all even after 5pm - very unappealing. There was also a sign on the first door that warned of materials being used that the state of California had determined were "cancer-causing," basically to enter at your own risk! Even more unbelievable was the front desk not being able (or willing) to do anything about it. I considered calling the health department to report this, but it was after hours and we were gone the next morning. I did take pictures of both the sign and the hallway, but don't have my cellphone with me at this moment, or I would post them. Not a good way to start a vacation!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FormerCali4nian
We thank you for submitting a guest review. Our team is thrilled that you enjoyed the service and accommodations. We understand how the renovation caused discomfort during your stay. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for the inconveniences this caused. We appreciate you! We hope that you will return and stay with us again.

Travellers are raving about these Martinez hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

On our initial arrival, there is nice curb appeal and kids from our baseball team were enjoying the pool. This was good. The front lobby was clean and neat and the front desk lady was very nice. When we rode the elevator up to our room, we learned why we couldn't check in a little early. The rooms on our floor were all being replastered and we're freshly painted. The baseboards were all off, plastic was everywhere. Windows were taped up, and drywall texture spatter littered the floors and Windows. Many room numbers were missing and I was asked by total strangers if I knew where a room number was. When we opened our door, we were overtaken with the fumes. It was awful. We had to get out so we could get fresh air. We asked the front desk, but could not be moved anywhere. Had I known I was walking into this, I'd never have stayed here. I am upset at not being told the condition of the rooms. We decided to head to Carrows across the street. Boy if that wasn't downright horrid. Terrible food. They forgot my son's burger. They tried to serve us food from another table that wasn't remotely close to our order, but I digress. It is 4:46 and I am in the lobby writing this because I cannot sleep. Haven't slept at all due to a headache from the fumes of drying paint. The roll away for my son - the kids had to roschambo to see who lost and got stuck on it, is maybe the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on. I asked for a couple of blankets because he just wanted to sleep on the floor and I was given one and told it was the last blanket in the hotel. How is this possible? We had two of our friends children in our room because apparently the fumes in their room was WORSE! The writers for Seinfeld would have loved to create an episode here. Breakfast at the hotel is in an hour and ten minutes, and it better be great so as to provide a tiny bit of redemption for our Sunday of baseball. I'm not holding my breath.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank reel_time33
We thank you for submitting a guest review. Our team is thrilled that you enjoyed the service and accommodations. We understand how the renovation pick up caused discomfort during your stay. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for the inconveniences this caused. We appreciate you! We hope that you will return and stay with us again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The staff at this hotel is awesome! They are very friendly! Pools is nice, breakfast is good! Also, the manager's reception in the evening is nice after a hard days work! I highly recommend this hotel to anybody who is just passing through or needs to stay a while.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We thank you for submitting a guest review. Our team is thrilled that you enjoyed the service and accommodations.. We appreciate you! We hope that you will return and stay with us again.
Sherman Oaks, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Unfortunately, I must concur with my fellow travelers who were dismayed to find the hotel under renovation when we arrived. No mention was made to me when I checked in that the hallway on our floor would be full of paint fumes with paint chips ground into the carpet.

A request for a move to a floor where we could breathe was met with open disdain. If we hadn't had a tough time finding a hotel in this area at this time, I would have moved our entire family, which includes two children.

The pool was unheated and when one of my children asked if they could turn on the heater, the person at the desk told her: "It doesn't have one." Really?!?

To top it off, my husband had to skim the pool of debris with the broken skimmer just so we could use it.

Maybe the desk staff was just cranky because it appeared that despite the 90+ degree weather, no a/c was on in the motel itself. The unit in our room, however, worked just fine.

The woman who runs the breakfast room is very sweet. However there was no fresh fruit anywhere to be seen. A tank of fresh water was located in the gym.

Only plus to this place is the location, which is across the street from a great frozen yogurt place, a gourmet market and some decent restaurants.

Too bad, as from the outside, this looks like a nice motel.

Room Tip: Tour buses pull up and load in the front parking lot, so try to get a room in the back.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for submitting a guest review. Your comfort and safety is our number one concern so I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for aThank you for submitting a guest review. Your comfort and safety is our number one concern so I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for any inconvenience that we caused. This review will assist us in improving our response to your needs. I assure you that our staff does not take your feedback lightly, and we will share your comments to improve our guest experience. We hope that you will return and give us another chance. Please feel free to contact me directly should you need any further assistance.
ny inconvenience that we caused.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinez
BEST WESTERN Heritage Inn
Courtyard Pleasant Hill
Courtyard Pleasant Hill
#2 of 5 in Pleasant Hill
Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek

Been to BEST WESTERN John Muir Inn? Share your experiences!