“Truly lovely place”

Ranked #6 of 37 Soll B&B and Inns
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Truly lovely place”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

First and foremost stunning value. Room are a good size and very comfy, a lot of which have wonderful views up to the mountains. Very very close to the Gondola up the mountain and the ski hire shop. Our breakfast and evening meals were included in the bill and were really good quality and tasty food. I liked how they offered some traditional Austrian foods. The staff were lovely, friendly and chatty. I felt they really got to know you and were always there if you needed anything. The bar below is nice and reasonably priced. I didn't notice any noise from it when trying to sleep. We booked this hotel with Crystal. My only advise is the crystal reps will try sell you a lot of stuff you don't need. Also GREAT veggie options. Overall great value, family and veggie friendly hotel. I'd recommend it to anyone. Thank you to all the staff, especially Margaret to looking after us all at breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Gingee_1992

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
earby lancs
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Just had a week in soll at the hotel rubin.to start off I can't fault the hotel it was clean comfy and warm,the food was very good,much better than I expected.wesley and team were friendly and professional.unlike the crystal reps who were not putting it to bluntly absolute crap,maybe it was the end of the season but it was still in season!!!all we heard all week was "well it's the end of the season"
What crystal fail to tell you when booking is that most of the bars were closed and the couple that did open,didn't open till 4pm,which is ok if you have good weather but unfortunately we had a couple of days where the visibility was very bad and had to come down early.mmmmm what to do?bugger all because soll was a ghost town.
At 4pm the red horse opened which was a good place to catch up with sky sports news and have a beer but don't ask for the .5l bottle of lager as they were just for workers????yes just for workers,not for the tourists who pay they're wages I couldn't believe it,so we went to the underground bar for the rest of the week,where dave served you what you asked for.
The skiing boarding was great for the time of year,but I Deffo wouldn't reccomend soll for beginners as there are only a few blues and to get to sheffau etc where there are loads of blues you have to traverse a few steep reds or catch the bus.also the piste map is rubbish.
If you are unfortunate enough to travel with crystal DO NOT use the garage locker at stoll which they try and sell you as it still a good 500m from the lift.get a locker at the gondola same price no walking in ski boots.
Typical price for a large beer on and off mountain 3.70,food was cheap enough too.
Overall we'll be going back to Austria but probably not soll (unless its a bargain)
But if your in a group and you want to party soll is the place for you (unless its the end of the season). 80)

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank craigluvsgolf
Liverpool
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had the choice of booking a 5 star hotel in town for £50 extra but we decided to try the Rubin and we were glad we did. Wes and his team made the holiday, I've been skiing for 8 years and have stayed in every type of lodgings possible from 5 down to 1 star and this has been the most pleasurable experience yet. Wes was there to greet us as we arrived, there was no having to fill out an Austrian visitors form before we were allowed keys to the room as with every other hotel in Austria. Keys were handed over and we were in our room within minutes.

We were a late arrival and passed the time the restaurant was serving food (by an hour) but Wes had kept it open and the food was piping hot. We were also a bit awkward and asked if we could have our own table for the week rather than sharing.. this wasn't a problem and they took our request seriously. We've asked for the same in Austrian run chalets and they have just looked at us like were mental for wanting some private time - thanks guys it was really appreciated.

The Chalet is what some people would call basic but it was immaculate - I've never stayed somewhere so clean. Bed is made, room hoovered and towels changed every day - superb. The most unique feature of the hotel - WiFI .. yes Wifi.... I call Austria the land that Wifi forgot. After staying in 15 chalets over the years this is only the 2nd that has offered FREE Wifi in the whole building - Brilliant. Food was great, you won't go hungry - Choice of two mains each night, service is fast and your not left waiting around. Breakfast was above standard - coffee machine that does coffee, cappuccino and hot chocolate, rolls, meats and cheese and mostly uniquely a hot plate so you can make fried eggs and bacon - we loved this.

The whole hotel is really relaxed, no airs and graces... so much so most of the guests ate breakfast and tea in their pajamas (including me).

Things we loved - relaxed atmosphere, staff, food, no forms to fill in, free WiFi (all hotels please Crystal), not being shouted out for the odd occasion I had to run upstairs in my snowboard boots, piping hot showers.

Big thank you to Wes, his mum Margret ;-) (cooks a mean egg) and the Scottish girl (we never got your name) - she was lovely, always had a smile. They even came out to wave us off on the coach, a lovely touch.

Wes asked us if we could provide feedback so they could make changes... I honestly can't think of anything we would change. Someone give Wes his own hotel!

The only thing I'd suggest to you as the traveler is to take some ear plugs. The Red Horse pub downstairs gets really noisy at night. We were on the top floor and as far away from the dance floor as possible but the music is still really loud. But don't let this put you off.. you'll be down there most nights as it is.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UnderCoverTraveller
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

So... Wes, lives up to his reputation here on Trip advisor but Margaret (your holiday mum) makes the better fried egg though :-) Sorry Wes!!!
I'm a massive believer in value for money and you really can't beat this great family feeling hotel. The holiday started well with Wes meeting us at the door and getting settled in was smooth, Dropped right at the door by the Crystal coach. Breakfast is between 7:30 and 10 which is great for early risers and those laying in. It was very similar every day so we new what to expect. It included cereal, yoghurt, white and brown bread & rolls, cheeses and meats. However the great inclusion was a fresh egg and bacon which you can pop on the hot plate yourself. Only improvement would be a few pastries to jazz things up and more fresh fruit which was not available daily. For afternoon or early evening food there is a local bakery and supermarket just opposite with a great variety of hot & cold snacks. The Apres Ski/evening menus at the Rubin were also awesome... Great Burgers etc, Good job Chef, perfect for when you have the munchies. Half Board meals were also really good, although the short dinner service between 6 & 7 does not allow you to stay out long for Apres Ski elsewhere. Lisa helped Wes at Dinner and I must say I never had to eat after and the choice of main meal every evening was great. Each choice had the same starter and pudding that I really enjoyed, although soup every day was repetitive. Now... The part of the day that will make it or break it for you, The evening entertainment! The sportsbar and club that are underneath the hotel really kick out the bass thanks to DJ Brett if you like that sort of thing, If you dont
(It is a party hotel), having spoken to a couple I would not have expected to see at the Rubin, the supplied ear plugs got them through with great nights sleep. The bar staff were brilliant and never had to wait like I have to in rubbish bars at home, even when it was busy. This leads me on to the basic but cosy rooms that were cleaned throughout daily which we really appreciated, beds super comfy, great balconies ad storage space was alright. What do you want from a room you only sleep and get ready in, Not a lot really. I would advise if you need anything then ask day one, We couldnt get extra pillows and previous comments on hot water was true. Just avoid the shower between 5.30 and 7 unless you wanna feel like you are running naked over the mountains. Overall I would book again due to the British, family feel of the hotel and the fact It naturally promoted a social experience to meet great new friends too.
As for the SkiWelt it is an amazing group of resorts however soll is geared up for those developing well or a good level, I felt beginners not taking lessons would need to go elsewhere to really have a great experience with many more blues, (they closed 2 blues out of 4 rather than mantain them). Many of the people I met, beginners mainly, went over to Scheffau which was amazing for the last 2 days. Also watch out for this time of season as everything closes down, pubs, clubs, Even the free shuttle buses stop running and the reps go walkabouts too. I know this is due to it being the very last week of their season but I expected more from the resort. All in all its a clean resort and facilities are always immaculate... Loved it!!!

Room Tip: Get the team to sort you out some ear plugs when you fancy an early night... Its a Party Hotel!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Here we are at the end of another weeks skiing. The Rubin this time. We do 2 ski weeks every year with crystal and we did soll 2years ago in the sonnehoff chalet, the Rubin did not disappoint. The staff here are great, wes is old hands at this and even had his mum Margaret helping, my partner was on an unusual diet and they really helped with alternative food. The rooms are the usual good standard, clean although slightly smaller than usual, ensuite is fine. The food has been a good standard throughout the week, infact the only negative for us was no tea and cake at 16.00 each day but there is a coffee shop next door so no problem really.
The Rubin is about 5-10 min walk to the gondola, it couldn't really get much nearer, the skiing here is about the best we have found,so much to choose from.
It cost us £359 each and about the usual £190 ish for the ski pass. To summarise, just book it if you see it, we certainly will, we did well this year with the Grimming in Rauris and here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Was asked to sum up my review in one word but amazing doesn't cover it!!...just got back from here on sat along with a group of 7 friends and we had the most awesome week!!.. Don't know where to start but it really should be with wes -the most helpful,happy,truly original guy you could ever wish to bump into- what he doesn't know about the resort, the weather n local info u would never need to know-always got a friendly smile n chat-funny too!!!...all the staff are really good at their jobs- Danny,Greg,Brett just to name a few-all helpful n friendly:-)..the bar is the hub of all social activity n we were never out of the place..the food was great,we ate well everyday n presentation was excellent.. The rooms were warm n comfy- our pad was so welcoming when u come in to find your room had been cleaned daily n was tidy again- not how we left it leaving in a hurry in the morning...now to the afore mentioned noise !!.. It's simple really-Don't go to a party hotel if u aren't up for a party !! Having said that our room was above the bar and for the few times I wasn't at the party I slept like a baby!!..oh the resort should get a quick mention too- really nice resort- plenty of slopes, no demon drag lifts to report, no lift issues etc.. You gotta give this place a visit- well as long as u don't all book it up so we can't get in again!! Happy hols y'all :-)))

• Stayed March 2013
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We have just returned from a week at The Rubin as a mixed party of young & young at heart. Wesley & the team are the best hotel bunch of staff I have ever met & we will be booking to return asap, we have been on many ski hols & will find this trip very hard if not impossible to beat! From the word go you're made to feel welcome, the hospitality at the Rubin is exceptional. The rooms are clean & warm, the food is great & the presentation gives you the feeling you're in a restaurant rather than being half board so there's absolutely no need to eat out. The one night we were unable to choose from the menu options, Wesley simply offered us an alternative that suited all our pallets....perfect & always service with a smile...they simply cannot do enough for you! As for the Red Horse bar, what a brilliant atmosphere to end or start your day, depending on how long you can stay awake the staff are happy to party until dawn! Thanks guys & gals for making our holiday so memorable :) can't wait to come back & see you all again next year!!! Amanda.xx

Room Tip: If you love to party then stay on the 1st floor, if you need you're ski sleep simply ask Wesley...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends