“Somewhat disappointed.”
Review of Hotel Jakobwirt

Hotel Jakobwirt
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Westendorf
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I have just returned from Hotel Jakobwirt and in common with several of our group, the hotel was not quite what we had hoped for.
There is no question, it is a well run hotel, run by 3 sisters, Anne Marie ( a charming person) was the main one we conversed with. She is clearly knowledgable about the area and she was always very helpful. All staff almost without exception were excellent and lovely people to meet.
The hotel was spotlessly clean, but certainly quite 'dated' in decor. Our room had clearly been fully refurbished and was immaculate. The hotel is 400 years old and clearly structurally has been well looked after.
I think we made a very genuine mistake about our choice of hotel, however.
The name 'Sport Hotel' suggested to some extent to me that it was a 'spa' hotel.
With dreadful weather conditions 6 days out of 7, this was a huge mistake.
The indoor swimming pool was quite cold and was not always operational, which was a disappointment to some guests. We were advised we had to wear swimming caps due to Austrian law, but actually, this requirement is certainly NOT a legal one. As a male with not much hair,, i didn't use. The sauna was really only put on when requested and there really were no other 'facilities' of note. I am confident that if a request was made for either or both, one would have been able to use. They were on different floors and separated by a somewhat narrow spiral staircase.
The food was at times really good to good, but it was very clear to us all that everything was down to 'price'. indeed, personally, I worked that one out very quickly!
The salad bar was quite monotonous. and if things ran out, they ran out!
My wife one night wanted some coleslaw, and was told there was 'no more'!
There does not seem to be any 'slack' in the system.
One night, I was denied of having my, not the best meat main course, because I advised the 'senior' waiter, that it was somewhat cool.
He took my plate away, and that was it!
When I questioned him later, he simply told me to ' take more salad'!
We did not find the public areas to be particularly comfortable for eg. having a drink or just simply reading. We used a local 4 star hotel when we wanted a drink. Holiday!I
I think the problem my wife and I have had in Austria is that we have always been in very good hotels and perhaps we have been 'wasted'.
I feel saddened because over the years we have come to love Austria and this holiday has really made us question when we will return, not least the fact that the weather was aweful which off course has nothing to do with the hotel.
It is to be remembered that this was NOT a cheap holiday and I think that has to be considered.
I feel at some point in this review I must pay particular thanks to Brad, the Inghams rep.
Clearly, he is an 'asset' to them, and goes out of his way to help.
In closing, I would like to say, that having read all the 'great reviews in tripadvisor, it is quite clear that everyones' opinion is very subjective, but it is interesting that on the way home, the opinion of our group was unanimous, we would not be rushing back.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor on the side of the road.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlexanderGemmell
Annemarie Z, Inhaber at Hotel Jakobwirt, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Gemmell!
We have read your detailed report and my family and all our staff are disappointed that our hotel did not meet your expectations.
In the brochure, home page we are descriped as a small family run hotel and we have worked in hospitality for many generations.
We are unable to find the name "Sporthotel" somewhere, the only mention in this name would appear to be on your invoice with our British partner.
Our hotel is daily open from 8.00 am - 23.00 pm, during which time we are happy to serve snacks, dinner, drinks, coffee, etc. so it was your decision to visit other places in the village and not from lack of service in the Jakobwirt.
On the third day I asked for a meeting with you and suggested to help and find a hotel your standart in this area, not charging more than those days you stayed with us, you declined this offer. To put our British long term partner and us into the right light we'd like to confirm that price and performance for this (week) smart deal was a approx. Pound 500 incl. 7 days halfboard / free pack lunch daily / bikes / filght / airport transfer and rep.
I would paint out that no other guests that week expressed any dissadisfaction to us nor to our staff.
Best wishes to you and regards to my lovely Scotland!
Annemarie Ziepl

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked a family suite direct with the hotel for the four of us, including our boys of 3 years and 5 months. The hotel provided a baby cot. The suite was perfect for our needs - plenty of space, two bathrooms and two bedrooms connected by a foyer/dressing area. Everything was clean and well maintained.

We were half board and didn't have a single bad meal. Some were really outstanding. There was a choice of three mains each night, and also a separate children's menu if needed.

The hotel is centrally located in the village, and Westendorf is a great base for exploring the local area.

What makes this hotel really special, though, is the owners and staff. They are all genuinely friendly and went out of their way to be helpful towards us. We would certainly stay again if we wanted to be in Westendorf.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Annemarie Z, Inhaber at Hotel Jakobwirt, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear guests,
many thanks for your time to write this compliments for all of us.
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your holiday, specially with the 2 boys.
Have a very good year and we like to be your host any time you are planning to visit this
area again.
Annemarie Ziepl and sisters and all our staff.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is a great hotel run by three delightful sisters who are wonderfully welcoming and show such great attention to detail.....true hospitality.

My daughter described her bed as 10 star! The food is fantastic and it is great seeing the kids eating things like venison and enjoying every mouthful. This hotel is the ideal way to recharge the batteries.

Thank you for another great stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Annemarie Z, Inhaber at Hotel Jakobwirt, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear friends,
we are happy to hear you had another enjoyable holiday with us .
Love and regards to Edinburgh.
Annemarie, Elisabeth and Angelika

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have not stayed at the Jakobwirt but my wife and I make a beeline for this hotel when it comes to dinnertime. We stay elsewhere because we have a favourite Westendorf hotel (Hotel Garni Austria) but we love the terrific food and friendly atmosphere at the Jakobwirt. Don't miss it!

1  Thank Drumdoolaghty

We are very happy you did enjoy our restaurant , service and food.
Please recommend us.
Many thanks and best wishes - Annemarie and the Family

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We returned to this delightful village recently after 12 years and as usual it lived up to our expectations. The hotel was superb and Anna Marie and family were so kind and helpful - they really made us feel part of the family and couldn't do enough to make us enjoy our holiday. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.
Many thanks to all.

David and Chris Brown

Room Tip: Room with balcony
1  Thank christine b
Annemarie Z, Inhaber at Hotel Jakobwirt, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

We are so happy we found each other !!
Many thanks and have a very good year.
Anytime we like to be here for you.
Annemarie Ziepl and Family and all our staff

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We chose this hotel for a last minute holiday and were not sure what to expect, but having read the reviews were hoping it would be good. It was more than good - it was excellent! The staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were spotless (as was the whole hotel) and our room was always cleaned by the time we came back from breakfast. We had a balcony looking towards the mountains and the view was different every day with changing weather and light. The food in the hotel was superb with a very varied choice. There are some lovely walks around Westendorf which is a very pretty alpine village and a good transport system of buses and trains. The cable cars are easy to reach and the views from the top of all the surrounding mountains are breathtaking.
We loved our week so much that my husband wanted to come home and when the washing had been done, go straight back! We didn't but will go back again as soon as we can.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony and perhaps to the back of the hotel for the view.
1  Thank Fi0na3
Annemarie Z, Inhaber at Hotel Jakobwirt, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear friends from Edingburgh,
Thank you for all this compliments. We are all trying hard.
Hope to see you again. Annemarie and Family

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have just been lucky enough to spend a week at the Jacobwirt.Set in the beautiful village of Westendorf .
We were given the warmest of welcomes .The hotel is spotless.The staff attentive and friendly,nothing was too much trouble.Every effort was made to make us feel at home .The meals were outstanding .So much choice,expertly cooked and beautifully presented.
Various activities to occupy the week,cable car to the mountain top,breathtaking views,bus to local towns,entertainment at night etc etc.In short heavenly....Would go back at the drop of a hat.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to have a balcony ,anywhere in the hotel will offer amazing views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westendorf
Hotel Schermer
#1 of 4 in Hopfgarten im Brixental
Windau Lodge
Windau Lodge
#1 of 32 in Westendorf

Been to Hotel Jakobwirt? Share your experiences!