“Kids friendly hotel”
Review of Hof Ter Duinen

Hof Ter Duinen
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Oostduinkerke
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Nice stay with our 2 kids (5 months and 2.5 year). Bed was comfortable, and got a big flat screen TV with DVD (you can rent some DVD's for free, in case the weather is too bad). We got a jacuzzi in the bad-room, and a separated WC. Here and there there is a little maintenance required, but see this as a minor remark.
There are also small bikes and toys available for the kids, which you can take with you when going to the beach. A pity that the restaurant was closed on Monday. So check out, because the kitchen seems to be very good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Is a perfect place to spend your weekends&holidays
It's near to the beach , the rooms are in the perfect condition, the prive sauna it a beautiful place where you can relax and enjoy. Gorgeous breakfast!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We had stayed in this hotel back in 2007 and found the young owners very helphul and friendly. This sadly enough was not the case this time as we stayed here for a treat give by my parents in 2 Comfort rooms. There is nothing wrong with the rooms although they are rather small. Our main issues sheerly lay with the fact of how unfriendly we were treated by the lady behind reception which I can only assume to be the mother (previous owner) standing in for the younger couple (we did not see them during our stay). It all started rather badly when my wife and me arrived and were give two key cards to our room and then told we had to be at dinner between 06:30 and 07:30, and yes that was it! No further welcome nice to have you back, do you still now where everything is?, ... nothing. I was just completely taken back by the miltary precision where you had a one hour slot to arrive for dinner and that was it. Strangely enough we saw while having our meal people arrive at 20:30 without a problem so what is up with that? Another issue resulted in a personal card which I had left in the keycard holder by our room door to be be simply binned. Hotel policy states that the keycards may not be left in the holder to obviously conserve energy. I completely agree with that policy but we did not leave any lights on at all in our room. Anyway the principle of the matter is that you don't go and bin someone's personal possesions. Upon addressing this at reception I was told it was not allowed to leave a card in it and they eventually did dig my personal card out of their rubbish bin. No apologies of any kind were offered.
It got worse though when during the second afternoon of our stay at 17:30 my parents and us were having a cup of tea in the so called bar area and were then forcefully given two menu's (there were 4 of us) for the evening meal. Why would you do this, we did not ask for it at all. It just all felt really forcefull and fake and we did not feel welcome at all.
When my wife and myself came down for dinner we found my parents sitting at the table already. They were not give the option to have an aperitif in the bar but quickly shunted along to the table. During that time they were asked twice what they wanted to drink and my dad had to state twice that they were waiting for us. When we arrived at the table one additional menu was provided and my dad was left without a menu. Only a couple of minutes later the previous owner (older lady don't know her name) came over and when I politely asked for a few extra minutes top choose she slammed her notepad down in disgust and walked off, upon which I stepped in and dealt with that situation as it was unacceptable behaviour.
To cut a long story short, we did not feel welcome at all at this hotel and will definetly not be coming back next year which we were planning on doing with the rest of the family. Their loss I would say. I would not advise this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank GuyR007
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed over with our 2 kids and baby - all fitted easily in the very spacious superior rooms which has very nice bathroom and small balcony. The hotel is very conveniently located at 5 minutes walking from the beach and offers all you expect in room amenities. Staff was friendly and Wifi in the room a nice plus included. Breakfast buffet very nice (although available until 10 am which for us meant a bit rushing in the morning !) Good value for money - we wanted to stay longer but unfortunately did not book early enough so make sure to book early !

Room Tip: Ask for Superior rooms as they are located in renovated part of the hotel. Have not seen the older r...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2010

It is a golden rule among experienced reviewers, so they told me, to wait a couple of days before starting to write a report. In this case I must say I needed those days. I am not sure yet what to think and write exactly.
We found this hotel a couple of months ago on Tripadvisor and have been reading many reviews and ratings since. The hotel website is very appealing, alluring, one could even say deceptive, because, as I will explain below, it perhaps raises too many expectations. Early August we spent two nights with the ‘Horizon Arrangement’ (225 € per person per stay, including breakfast, one Eglantier-menu and one Fijnproevers-menu included, a very fair price I must say).
Advance communication with the hotel through email (with Lien Decock) was extremely professional (accurate, timely, polite). Congratulations.
We ordered the Romantic Welcome (just one detail here: as another reviewer pointed out, what a shame to use artificial flowers in that price range!) and a bottle of Cava upon arrival, which yielded the targeted effect.
Ok, on the positive side: there is a tram stop by the hotel entrance, the beach is only 200 meters away (measured on Google Earth; not 100 meters as mentioned on their website), superior rooms are perfectly equipped, and have a small but nice balcony, Jacuzzi, DVD-player etc.
On the downside: the neighborhood is not very attractive: we thought as the hotel was outside the city, that it would be very quiet. Nothing of the kind: with a tram stopping every five minutes, a very busy road, trucks unloading from seven o’clock in the morning right under your window (can someone tell those drivers that it IS possible to silently unload a truck ??), and if some freight plane takes off in the right direction at Oostende airport, this is not what you would expect …
All superior rooms are supposed to be ‘garden view’. We must say it took us some effort to find the garden. We had a frontal view on some ten other apartments, and direct insight in the premises of the neighbors on the right. If you look down, you can indeed perceive a green strip: part of the lawn that separates the terrace from the street fence.
So the hotel is not in a quiet, natural environment. But it is not in the city center either (15 minute walk or tram). You are not going to sit on the balcony for the view. So there is the room, which you can enjoy. But the 2-person Jacuzzi (as mentioned on their website) is rather a small and shallow bathtub … so we tried to figure out how they think 2 persons could be positioned and enjoy it at the same time … impossible.
The restaurant: ok. Let’s say good quality/price ratio. Excellent staff and service. Only Guillaume seems a little bit afraid to start a decent conversation with customers, and should try to appear less hasty while serving customers.
This brings me to our main point: this hotel provides excellent service, but is not customer-oriented enough. We did not have the feeling that the owners had any interest in us. Oh, they spent some time welcoming ‘regulars’, the kind of clients that immediately order a bottle of Veuve Clicquot to start with. The owners were interested in our extra expenses, not in how we felt. The fact that annihilated any possible positive feeling at the end, when paying the bill, was the fact that the proprietress clearly insisted that we should not pay with our American Express card, but she offered us 5% discount on our next stay if … we paid cash.
My Conclusion: this hotel is certainly value for money, but before you go: know what to expect. If the hotel owners want to compete with the Casino hotel in Koksijde or similar, then they will have to do something about what is most important for customers: how they feel at the end of their stay.
We will be happy to go back, not only to enjoy our discount, but also to see if our review has yielded any effect. Go for perfection, people!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gonzalo_de_Berceo
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We especially appreciated:
the excellent service provided by the hosts and their staff who gave us excellent advice on restaurants and places to visit. Nothing was too much trouble.
the convenient location which is much closer to the city centre than it looks on the map
the quality of the room
the amazing breakfasts with fresh fruit and varied range of bread and other delicious things

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SAKEngland
Reviewed 23 February 2007

We stayed in februari 07 at the hotel, we had a brand new comfort room. It was GREAT!!! Romantic, modern, luxurious... And the restaurant was also very nice (also renovated).

We will go back very soon!!!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Koddietje
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oostduinkerke
Alberthotel
#1 of 8 in Nieuwpoort
Casino Hotel
Casino Hotel
#1 of 6 in Koksijde

Been to Hof Ter Duinen? Share your experiences!