“On the road”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ruse
Varna, Bulgaria
“On the road”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

A big disappointment.The hotel is four stars but does not meet more than 3.The price is very high.Very poor breakfast no fruit and vegetables.There is only one type of coffee if you want others must pay.Good location but will not go back more.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I don't come to Rousse often, but everytime I do I look forward to this hotel. I find it cozy and friendly. Top 3 things I like about it:

1. The service: I love that it has room service and that the staff is always very friendly and accomodating. It's like visiting an aunt: I get anything I ask for.

2. The breakfast: it's not fancy but the eggs taste really fresh and they diversify as much as they can.

3. The rooms: spacious, great beds, the pictures on the walls are decent.

It's also close to the main square but not exactly there, so you get both proximity and quiet.

When coming from Southern/ Central Bulgaria the directions are enough to help you find it. But coming from Romania via Giurgiu there were no signs. Make sure you know the way in advance, or park your car close to the centre and find it first on foot.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank marina v
,Hexham,K
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Good central location but otherwise nothing special but not expensive. Pool a bit small but adequate for serious swimmer.You have to make an appointment to have a steam bath. poor breakfast with ghastly music. However, they turned it down when asked

Room Tip: I would have preferred a room in main building
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Eileen F
Cedaredge
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Following a previous stay I rated this hotel with a "4"...now it struggles to get a "2".

Let's start at the beginning. (1) As we struggled with a car load of luggage, the bell man stood around with his hands in his pockets and did not even offer to help us. (2) I had requested a room with two single beds and got a king size bed and a "fold out" cot...along with one robe for two people. The other room I requested was for two adults but it had one towel and enough shower supplies for one person, and one robe. I went to the reception desk and asked for two robes, another towel, and more soap. What did I get? One robe, one towel, and a dental kit. Nothing got lost in translation because the desk staff all speak English very well. (3) The air conditioner was off and the room was so hot that the ice cubes in the mini bar had melted, and all of the drinks were hot. (4) There are no safes in the rooms but there is a "strong box" at the desk. The "strong box" was so small that it would not even hold a loaf of bread. That tells me that they are not very interested in attracting business clients who generally travel with computers. I travel with expensive camera gear and rather than leave it unattended in the room I had to take it wherever I went, including to dinner. (5) If you rely on their help for directions you may be in for big trouble. They told us that our destination was just a few minutes walk from the hotel. It took us at least ten minutes in a taxi. That would have been a disaster for us since one of our party is in a wheel chair. Be careful. (6) One last thing...if you expect your room service meal to be hot then think again...mine arrived quite cold. (7) All four of us were excited about swimming in the hotel's pool...guess what, there was no water in the pool.

(8) Speaking of dinner, the hotel's restaurant is elegantly furnished and the menu is extensive, however, it seems as if the "chef" has the skills of a fast food chef. One main course arrived almost at the same time as the salad course and fifteen minutes before the next person got her main course. I had to go looking for the waiter three times and he forgot two items I specifically requested. Do not expect trained servers at this restaurant.

I doubt that any manager at the hotel will read this but I was disappointed by the whole experience, and I was embarrassed because I had told my guests how wonderful this hotel would be.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TomJannusch

Travellers are raving about these Ruse hotels

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Probably the first private hotel in Ruse, integrated in Best Western intl chain, the hotel is little tired.

Clean rooms, nice personnel, but the hotel has nothing attractive.

Good location

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Cedaredge
Reviewed 27 August 2011

My stay was very enjoyable and I would return to this hotel. My room was clean and modern, the price was very affordable, and the staff was helpful and professional. I have stayed in four star hotels in western Europe and in the USA that were not as nice as this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Reviewed 25 November 2010

The customer service was miserable! It was my mistake that I didn’t check out the reviews online about this hotel, but because my trip was so sudden I had no choice. First thing when I arrived I asked if there is a high speed Internet, which I needed for conference call with Australia. I was advised that I would be more then happy with the service. Not only that the internet connection was interrupted 15 times in 30 min conversation, but this of course caused complications to our conference call and embarrassment to me. However when I called front desk the clerk/host was very unprofessional and unpleasant. She understood that I was upset having a strong reason to be, and did nothing, as to even apologize for inconvenience I have experienced. When I told her that I need to speak with the manger she told me that they don’t have one on duty until 8pm, at the time was noon. No Manager on duty? I see how they run this hotel!!! I went to have dinner with colleagues and once I returned to rest the manger was in the lobby. I was approached as to: “ There she is” I did try to explained to the Manger that her staff are not professional and that I am not happy with what I am receiving as a response. She advised me that she has been training this host for 12 years and I shouldn’t be telling her that her staffs are not well trained. All right, at this point I saw that what I am expecting is a “ level “, not even a high level of customer service, which was not going to happen. I advised them that I will be leaving the hotel right away and I went to pack my staff. When I went downstairs I saw two policemen whom wanted to check my documents. I cried. I have never felt so insulted and disrespected, even discriminated in a way. Once they’ve checked my documents I went outside and one of the policemen reached to me and actually apologized for the way I was treated! One of them advised me of where to find better hotel! I picked my car and left. I understood that I had wrong expectations and this is why I was so hurt, this Hotel Bistra and Galina is NO place for traveler to fell welcomed!!! They all need more then 12 years of training, I have stayed all over the world in different hotels and never ever had such an awful experience. I hope they will sit down and review this comments and learn from it…

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business