“A bit different”
Review of Harmony Motel

Harmony Motel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Twentynine Palms
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I spent the night here with my son and we both loved this quirky place. It's at the edge of town so in a quiet spot despite being close to a fast busy road that goes through town.
The pool sits behind a tin and wood fence that can be seen all over the place, not modern but very suited to the desert location and recycling old materials. There's a small garden with weird bits and bobs in as you walk to reception that suits the place. The girl at reception was very helpful. She gave us some tips on where in Joshua tree park to visit and took the time to draw a map as well. We're not likely to be in the area again but of we are we will return.
I paid a little more than for a sterile 'same old' chain motel but it was worth it.
One point for them to note though is that as the location sits on top of a hill it gets the sun very early. They need some darker curtains (drapes) to block the light. I added a spare bed cover from the room but that was light and didn't help much.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Reeveew

Reviewed 20 August 2013

My friend and I stayed a couple of nights in mid August and were really overwhelmed by the place. We really weren't expecting much, and didn't really need much in the way of amenities, but found the Harmony was just the right place and exactly what we needed. Ash and her staff were very friendly and attentive when we needed them, and left us to ourselves when we needed that too. We ended up spending a lot of time by the pool which was surprisingly cold and refreshing. With temperatures in the hundred and teens, I figured the pool would be luke warm at best and bathtub temperature at worst. But when I plunged in I was initially shocked at how cold it was, but soon adjusted to the cool and then didn't want to come out. The view of the mountains to the South, East and North are wonderful perks. The rooms themselves were comfortable. We stayed in Room 3 (of only 6). Nice size room that had a closet, a round table for two and the normal tv stand/dresser. The bathroom was small (probably my only complaint about the place) but the shower was unique in that the shower head lit up in different colors as the water flowed. Pretty cool. I loved their community room with a large fridge and freezer that guests shared. I was able to put groceries in there instead of having to keep my ice chest full of ice. They have a coffee pot full of coffee and a thermos of hot water and guests just serve themselves. And connected is the "Library" with a PC and small sofa. Overall I was really pleased with the place and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Oh my. Where do I begin?
We arrived here after the Twentyninepalms Hotel was fully booked. And boy, did that look lovely. We had dinner there, and I really wished they'd had a room spare.
Instead, we ended up at the Harmony Motel, riding on the back of U2, who stayed there many a moon ago. The lady who dealt with us was AWFUL. She didn't have an ounce of customer service in her body. We ended up paying 20 dollars above the price on Booking.com because she refused to go lower, calling us "cheap" and walking off. I think the Motel 6 down the road would have been friendlier, and I wish we hadn't been so tired to give her our money.

The curtains were broken and grubby, the air conditioning was old, loud and battered, and the bathroom was tiny and smelt funny. The carpets weren't particularly savory. Needless to say, we didn't sleep well (we turned the air conditioning off because it was too loud, then the room was stifling) - and at the break of dawn we were up and out.

I cannot emphasize enough how terrible our experience here was, and how much the motel must improve their customer service! The funniest part was that she told us that she compares her motel to the Twentynine Palms Hotel - which is in a totally different class.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UncleOswald
californiamanager, Public Relations Manager at Harmony Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear traveler,

Firstly no one at our front desk can recall asking you to go to the Motel6 unless you requested the cheapest motel in the area from them. Firstly it seems from your review that you went to the inn to stay , hence thy were full and than you can to Harmony, but your writings indicate that you had a reservation at the harmony...If you made a booking at Booking.com for a specific room type you would have paid for that room type, however if you came to the motel and decided that you needed another room type, than you would have to pay for that room type. As it may have not been the same price that you originally booked for.

The 29 palms rooms are much more expensive than the Harmony, however both these motels have a rustic desert appeal hence similar in ambience as compared to your basic motel.
Your complains on our room, is misleading. Our air conditioners are brand new, so are the carpets. We do have showers, and we provide curtains as well as blinds. I do not believe that any customer who would have experienced so much discomfort would not have complained. We would have ensured that your room experience is comfortable.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

There is no such thing as coincidence. Just spent 2 nights at the Harmony Motel and can't speak highly enough about it. Looked for a place on TripAdvisor, and it's high rating, U2 history and just the "feel" of it, told me this was it!!!! Not one for hotel chains, don't need expensive and chic. I like the sense of home. Ash was the best!!! Friendly, helpful, assisting with needs. The room was very clean and comfortable . Slept perfectly for 2 nights. Spent hours at the pool, met a great couple, was directed to eat at a wonderful restaurant in Joshua tree, roamed the monument and watched the meteor showers. Even Ash's asst., Kimberley, was great. The 3 days were just what my friend and I wanted. Saw old friends, made new friends and found the perfect place to stay by Joshua Tree. I go there many times through the year, regardless of the season. it is heaven. And now the Harmony Motel joins that rank. Even if it is 100 degrees out there, these days. I highly recommend this motel for the perfect getaway.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I could not have been more relieved to find not only a beautiful escape from the city of LA after way too long of not escaping, but also to find a place I can get away to in the future to write in total solitude and comfort while still enjoying all of the benefits of the glorious Mojave Desert and Beautiful Joshua Tree National Park/29 Palms area.

I loved meeting the owner, Ash, who made me feel right at home immediately and who also takes great pride in owning a piece of musical history. The Harmony Motel is where the delicious Irish band, U2, stayed when they were making their early platinum album, The Joshua Tree. (see photos below)

Also are the beautiful trails and hiking spots that are extraordinary nearby. Indian Cove Oasis was my favorite! The owner gave me great directions too.

I was shown 1 of 2 separate rooms to choose from since I was solo. I chose one with a lovely king bed that slept beautifully. The mattress was PERFECT! Often in hotels you want to scream at how you feel like Goldi-Lox trying to find the right one. My bed in room #2 was lovely, the pillows were perfect and linens soft. The air conditioning was cold (puuuurfect for the 107° day it reached when I was there the first day)- the pool is lovely to swim in and very clean being perfectly kept. One doesn't feel over chlorinated like is so typical at other chain motel and hotel that I have stayed at before out in the desert.

New carpets and great TV with all channels. The bathroom was safe with a comfy shower mat in the stall and the water pressure was manifique! This is always hit and miss, but NOT here, I could actually get a massage on my shoulders by the water stream- SO nice!

Don't take my kudos for granted either, I am incredibly picky ad high maintenance and I found not a stitch to be unhappy about.

Don't get swooned by chain locations around the highway 62, the Harmony Motel is the right choice at the right price!

LOVE LOVE LOVE it! You will too.

Room Tip: Bring flip-flops for the super hot cement - the desert sun can make it HOT walking the short distanc...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
californiamanager, Public Relations Manager at Harmony Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us in such accurate detail. We are grateful for having you as our guest, and appreciate the time and taught you have taken too to review us . We truly love the" Kudos", that you enjoyed of the motel during your stay .

We also loved the Video that you posted of the desert sunset on your tube good work..

Love to see you again.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is the second time my son and I have stayed at the Harmony Motel and it is absolutely the perfect place. The passion and attention to detail the owner displays are immediately recognized the moment you walk onto the property. If you are seeking a place to unwind and rejuvenate, this is the ideal location. Access to the park and other trails are just minutes away. Morning coffee by the pool and star gazing at night will confirm that there is more to life than sitting idly by while life passes you by. We will stay here again albeit not soon enough.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We are grateful for another great review from you. We appreciate that you have come back to the higher desert , and love this spot. We look forward to seeing you again...

thanks

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed at the harmony in June. Excellent service from owner and her staff, provided all info on the area (knew the area very well). Local resturants that we recommended such as Natural sister and Joshua Tree Saloon was perfect...

Clean rooms. Great pool and hottub area. Great views from rooms and room patios.
Love it!!! This small quaint motel provides with great comfort and a home away from home stay and a true desert experience, that you will not experience at a large chain. Will always recommend and can wait to plan my next trip.

Room Tip: ASk for a room with a kitchen. Great value.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank gail k

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing . We are grateful, that your experience was an excellent stay. We appreciate the critique and glad that it meets your standards.

Thanks