“Delicious Italian Cuisine”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We recently visited Gino's Café and had a wonderful experience. We were served by the owner, Gino, and his brother Fouady, the chef. They treated us like family. I've never been to Italy, but this is how I imagine a true Italian café to be, and true Italian food to taste. We enjoyed the lasagna and fettuccini alfredo immensely. The sauces were to die for! If you have the chance and a craving for true Italian cuisine, you must try Gino's Café. Delicious!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Ah yes I do like cheese! Wonderful cheeses, alfredo, so good!
Wonderful ravioli, and penne, top shelf!
Wonderful dressing on the special baby green salad, tantalizing!
Wonderful tomato sauce for the freshly made bread, um good!
We SPLIT a meal, and order the cheesecake to go for another time!
AND DON'T FORGET THE REAL GENOANS, FOUADY AND GINO, WHO TAKE US TO THE MOUNTAINS OF ITALY WHILE PREPARING AND SERVING!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from having lunch at Gino's Cafe. What a treat!
We were greeted by Fouday who is the chef, host and on this occasion the server as well.
We started out with warm crusty sour dough rolls and a side dish of marinara sauce for dipping. My boyfriend ordered the lasagna, which I also tasted. It came with extra parmesan cheese and meat sauce. I could not resist ordering the mussels, whcih came with crusty bread, great for sopping up the light tomato broth.
Everything was delicious and the portions were generous We both ate every morsel on our plates.
If you love good food as I do, Gino's Cafe is the place for a great meal.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

If you are looking for good food in 29 this is not it. Dishes were very overpriced and not very good at all unless you love lots and lots and lots of cheese. We should have been warned by the lack of diners in the restaurant...we were the only table in the hour we were there. When we walked in our initial impression was favorable as the eclectic decor was reminiscent of some restaurants in the old world. The music was old standards by Dino and Sinatra. It went downhill from there. As soon as we were seated the music switched to Euro-pop from the 60s. We tried to ignore the music but it was a little loud and very intrusive. We ordered some wine and it took several minutes before we heard the clickety clack of what would normally be a rolling tray in a kitchen rolling towards us with each grout line in the tile floor announcing the impending delivery of our two glasses of wine and a basket of bread. (Have these people never heard of a tray). Anyway this minor annoyance continued to be overwhelmed by the obnoxious music. We ordered a calamari appetizer, a lasagna, a house salad and eggplant parmesan. The clickety clack of the trolley again warned us of the arrival of our food. The house salad was drowned in over-vinegared dressing, the calamari was expensive and only contained about six pieces of calamari which tasted liked it had come out of a Swanson's TV dinner. The two entrees were swimming in the pink sauce for which Genova is renowned. There was lots of cheese in evidence. However, there were only two pieces of eggplant in the eggplant dish and I could barely discern any of the grossly overcooked noodles in the lasagna. To the waiters credit, he offered us freshly ground pepper for the entrees but we wondered why it was not offered with the salad, The music continued to be obnoxious to the point we could not wait to get out of there. We finished our meal and after waiting several minutes my wife went to find the waiter for our check. He was sitting behind the counter reading a newspaper! Again, the clickety clack of the trolley announced the arrival of our check. As we were leaving my wife asked why they played such crappy music. She was told that they were trying to appeal to a younger crowd...we could not figure where or who this younger crowd was because other than us the restaurant was empty. So my advice is to give this place a miss and go a few doors down to Bistro 29 (see my review) which is light years better in every way than this place and a few bucks cheaper to boot.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I am a big traveler and I have never had food taste like this in any restaurant, even in Italy. This is true Genovese food by chef Fouady who comes from Genova. The antipasta de mare is the black mussel, clams, calamari, and baby octopus (muscardini) to die for. Plus the linguini fruti di mare made with garlic and olive oil and white wine with a little bit tomato sauce, just perfect portion for the combination. You will cry for it and you will think why did I not come here sooner to eat such good food. How did I miss this? Don't forget the branzino (seabass) imported from Mediterranean Sea. It is done perfect so that it melts in my mouth like butter. If you are in 29 Palms this is the place to eat. By the way, Gino serves this fish with class and style. Twentynine Palms is lucky to have such a great chef as Fouady.