“Penne arrabiata to die for!”
Review of Thai Cafe

Thai Cafe
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Who knew we were going to find such amazing food in little Twentynine Palms?!? This is like having a fun quirky friend invite you over for dinner, and he's going to make it from scratch while you hang out in the living room. Reading Yelp and Trip Advisor reviews put me in the right frame of mind before arriving. Don't go if you are in a hurry, and don't go if you lack a sense of humor. First thing when Gino comes to your table, order a glass of wine. Then RELAX and enjoy your evening. I can see how if the place gets filled with a lot of people that service could get slow. It's worth the wait. Have another glass of wine. Enjoy the ambiance. Surely you don't have a restaurant like this in your hometown. You're on vacation. This is a restaurant experience you will enjoy telling others about when you get home. Oh, and for the reviewer that didn't like the trolley… I loved it! Anyone can use a tray. Even if there was one item coming out from the kitchen, it came on the cart. Charming and quirky to me. Now, about this penne arrabiata. Holy cow!! Almost blew my head off spicy, with beautiful chunks of fresh jalapeños but it was flavorful. Pasta cooked to a perfect al dente. Divine. Huge portion. I stashed my leftovers in our cooler in the car and enjoyed it as the most amazing picnic lunch out at Joshua Tree National Park the next day. Love this place and next time we're in 29 Palms we'll be back!! Grazie!!!

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Best restaurant in 29 palms. Food was amazing and service was exquisite. We will definitely be back. The owner is the sweetest man I've met in a long time music gives great atmosphere. ♡♡ Gino's!!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Everything we tried was delicious and nicely portioned. The blue cheese dressing was by far the best I've ever had. The food and the atmosphere was genuinely Italian as was the host. I wish we had more opportunities to try more items on the menu because everyone said 'yum'.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We followed the lead of our hotel desk clerk and gave Gino's a try. Called ahead, and they suggested we come a little later for better service.
When we arrived, restaurant was not real busy, and we were greeted by Gino himself. Ends up Gino was greeter, hostess, server and chef.
We ordered Bruschetta, served on rolls, rather than crispy bread. Tasty!
Gino wanted us to go with special of the day, but we had Eggplant Parmagen, and Lasagna. House salad. Tiramisu. All were delicious.
But what we really had was an experience. Because Gino was doing all the tasks, he didn't see a large party come in. They looked and 'reserved' was on the large tables. I suggested one of them go back and find Gino, and BJ walked back to say "Gino! Can we sit at the big table?" That worked. Another couple came and stood waiting, eventually to leave. Don't leave. Just get Gino's attention.
Notice I said BJ went back. Because we got to know her and her party as we spent the evening together. We actually had great fun talking to that party and another couple coming in. Became a big party. And the big group took the special of the day, ordering family style so Gino could bring out a big bowl of salad, entree, etc.
If you want everyday Italian and service, go to Olive Garden. But if you can bring an open mind to what you expect, go to Gino's. As my husband said - "Just like Italy - a slow evening of dining." And sometimes, that's just what you need.

1  Thank BETSY C
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My, what a wonderful discovery!! After a fine drive through the Joshua Tree National Park we sought a place for lunch in 29 Palms, CA. We always prefer either Ma and Pa Cafes for potentially wonderful lunches and pies made locally; or small, hometown cafes with local flavor instead of chain style restaurants. Driving down the highway through town we spotted a small homey looking place with a Gino's Cafe sign. Much to our big surprise we discovered the cafe was exceptionally elegant inside and were warmly greeted by Gino, who, along with his brother, the chef, had only 16 months ago moved from Genoa, Italy, where they had several restaurants.

The tables were set with a formal feel to them, matching the elegance of the dining room. Gino waited on our table himself and we quickly engaged in a long, pleasant and informative conversation. The food was served with a flair; we had our own water bottle, outstanding lunch faire (Nancy's was spaghetti and mine a chicken sandwich), and a delectable cheesecake which we shared for lunch. Gino goes to L.A. weekly to pick up his own supplies. His brother is a fine chef who demands perfection as he prepares the food. Diners come from as far away as Desert Hot Springs and Palm Springs for the food served by Gino. We were sorry not to be able to stay for dinner, as it surely would also be just as wonderful as the lunch!! This cafe is a gem in the desert, one to be relished and savored as a great discovery and real Italian treat for the palate!!