“Comfort Food of the Devil”
Review of Thai Cafe

Thai Cafe
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
“Comfort Food of the Devil”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Love at first sight. The room is cozy and lovely, a Mozart symphony playing as I entered - like being transported out of the desert to a place in North Beach but blessedly quiet.

And the arabiata - hot and rich. Sinful and I would think very addictive were I to live within 50 miles of Gino's. Bravo!

San Francisco, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An Culinary Oasis in the Hi-Desert- La Dolce Vita, Indeed.”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I've lived in three places considered by many to be among the top food locations in the world: New York, Italy, and San Francisco, my current home. I spend a good deal of time in the Southern California desert city of 29 Palms; have done for almost 29 years, in fact!

Whenever I pack to get away from the typically foggy, gray summers in San Francisco, I sigh, and resign myself to what I know will be a very limited choice of menus, unless I want to drive the 51 miles to Palm Springs or even further to Palm Desert. (Although, I have frequented the restaurant at the 29 Palms Inn for years, which is erratic, but mainly very good, though one does appreciate a change of scenery and entrees. Until now, it;s pretty much been the only game in town.)

But now there's GINO'S CAFE. Wow. What a refreshing and delicious surprise. The name "cafe" doesn't prepare you for what lies ahead. The dining room is not exactly formal in a stuffy way, but in a way that lets you know this is the real deal. It was quiet and intimate but really cozy. An adult experience, but its clear that kids are totally welcome. The staff was friendly, and accommodating.

I am an Italian chef myself after many years of practice, and I often try something I like to prepare and see how it measures up. Bruschetta for starters was the first clue that we were on to something great. Fresh tomatoes, dripping off the fresh bread, with just the right hints of basil and garlic. I had the penne arrabiata. Perfection. Al dente. Picante. Buonissima! My dining companion had the chicken piccata, lemony and beautifully presented. Chianti all around.

We stepped outside and chatted with the chef and owner, Fuedo, from Genoa, and tried to figure out how he landed in this dusty beige landscape. Really though, does it matter? I'm so glad he did. There's fresh fish, brought in from San Pedro regularly, which is also nice. We asked a lot of questions. For our next visit, of course. Don't miss it. Buon apetito.

1 Thank Julie G
Naters
“Great!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Homemade frech Italian Food! Delicious!!
The owner is very friendly and enjoys cooking. It was the best food within our 3 weeks trip in the US.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Sabrina H
29 Palms
“Local Italian gem”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Been in 29 for years. Finally an authentic Italian Restaurant worthy of the title. Excellent service( say hi to Angel and make sure you tip) fabulous food and a wonderful atmosphere. The Chef, me Foudy takes great pride in his craft and delivers an amazing culinary selection. Definitely my new favorite place in the high Desert. If you a local, or just visiting, make sure Gino's is one of your dining stops. You won't regret it.
Highly recommended!

Kelly
29 Palms

2 Thank Kelsan1
Westminster, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lasagna and Tiramisu”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I do hope that if you're visiting Twenty Nine Palms that you take a moment and discover a true gem not too far from the gate to Joshua Tree. This gem is no ordinary restaurant, and if you want to have lasagna that can only be described as extraordinary, well…you will have discovered Gino's Cafe. Amazingly, the lasagna is just scratching the surface of their rather remarkable cuisine. The two brothers Gino and Fouady have somehow blended their Italian roots into a culinary art form. If you're lucky enough to be around when they're serving up their version of tiramisu, by all means go for it…It's…just…Wow!

S. Mattila