“Best place for visiting Joshua Tree”
Review of 29 Palms Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Twentynine Palms
29 Palms Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Twentynine Palms
Sacramento
“Best place for visiting Joshua Tree”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed here in February for day trips exploring Joshua Tree N.P. The grounds with giant fan palms and the oasis pond make it feel like you are already in the park. Enjoyed the adobe bungalow and the wood burning fireplace which was nice to have at night. It's very quiet at night and the star-gazing was wonderful. One of the owners gave us good advice at breakfast on places to visit in Joshua Tree. Breakfast was excellent, perfect coffee, fresh baked breads, eggs, hot cereal, fruit, etc. Be sure to eat dinner there, food was great, and there was live music in the dining room which made it a fun festive time.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I've lived in L.A. my entire life, yet never even thought about visiting Joshua Tree or 29 Palms until my friend said she wanted to go and asked if I'd go with her. Of course! I'm up for anything when it comes to travel. Another of our close friends decided to come, too. I let Friend #1 do all the planning, since she had been to the 29 Palms Inn many years before; she reserved the Hermitage cabin for one Saturday night. The inn is spotlessly clean and 1930's charming. We arrived way too early to check in, but they let us leave our luggage in the office while we went exploring. Joshua Tree National Park is literally right next door and it is truly spectacular. But with 108 heat, we opted to return to the inn around 3, check in and head for the lovely pool. Hermitage was very cute and nicely decorated: 2 beds and a futon downstairs, with a loft that only a monkey (or a brave child) could reach. The wrap-around deck was perfect for star-gazing after dinner that night. Speaking of dinner...their restaurant is terrific. So was the lone entertainer - a female singer/musician with a classy and expertly performed '40s repertoire. The cozy and warmly lit bar was full most of the night (it's tiny, so it isn't the least bit noisy). I particularly liked the mix of ages at the inn and in the restaurant. There's nothing worse in my book than being stuck with nothing but old people/teens/30-somethings/whatevers. Brunch on Sunday was equally good. We finished up by touring the inn's vegetable garden, where most of our meals came from. We had so much fun, we're planning to return in the fall, when it's cool enough to actually walk around those boulders in the park.

Room Tip: Each cabin is a completely different design and size, so use the inn's website to figure out wha...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kris W
Vallejo, California
Reviewed 3 June 2013

29 Palms Inn was simply an oasis for our group of women. We get together regularly to analize our dreams, yet we could not have found a dream-like place for our group retreat! ☺

The Pueblo-looking cottage we rented, was very clean, well-furnished and decorated in simple, yet delightful nature-like and people-oriented art. The enclosed patio we had in our backyard was beautifully embellished with a mural that fit perfectly in the natural context. The entire property was prettified with original art of all types, mostly done by local artists.

The food in the restaurant was simple, healthy and tasty. Yet, nothing like dining by the pool to the tune of a cocktail or their special mint/wine mojito! And, at dinner time, there were local musicians to further accompany everyone. BTW—you may like to know that the pool was cleaned every single morning and kept in immaculate shape!

We had fun walking around the premises, enjoying a real mini-oasis at its heart, the vegetable garden and talking to the very helpful and friendly staff—all providing us a client-centered service with a smile.

Being the early riser of the group, I especially enjoyed the sunrises, watching the quails, rabbits, birds and beyond! ☺

Thank you, Jane, the warm and friendly owner— and your entire team!

Gabriela Melano, Ed.D.
(Vallejo, California)

Room Tip: There is no fitness center, yet... you are surrounded by a delightful dessert in which you can take...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pretihna01
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 May 2013

First let me say the photos on their website do not do this place justice in any aspect. I wasn't certain what to expect...I figured the accomodations may be run-down and maybe a bit icky.
THIS WAS NOT THE CASE. We stayed in the West End Cabin for 3-day weekend over Memorial
Day 2013 and I cannot say enough about what a pleasant and relaxing experience it was. The cabin was pristine yet unique, every detail you could think of was there in the cabin. The overall
property gives you the true feeling of being out in the desert but yet it feels truly like a bohemian artsy oasis compound. The staff are all sweet, adorable, cheerful, caring. The restaurant and pool combo (pool is right outside the restaurant and there are outdoor tables as well) is lovely day and night. The food for all meals was outstanding! Drinks mixed were terrific! They had live musical entertainment poolside in the evening under the stars that was another lovely plus. We took a pottery class at the Art Center located on the property and Gretchen who runs the Art
Center was just great. Two adults and 3 boys under the age of 10 and everybody had a great
time sculpting by hand and taking turns on the potting wheel. The little oasis pond and the
vegetable garden that services their kitchen fixings were great places to explore on the property
and just up the road is the north gate to Joshua Tree national park. SOOOO convenient!! I will
be back to this place again and again....it was so nice to have a place that isn't a big resort or a chain hotel to enjoy and kick back....felt like you were on some close personal friends desert compound. I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in the West End Cabin which is two bedroom, one bath and a full kitchen. I cannot speak t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jill d
Sierra Vista, AZ
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This is not your typical everyday hotel or resort. This is the place to escape to for some intense relaxing. You can let you hair down here, and enjoy desert living. Bring your playclothes and swimsuits and have fun! The bungalows and cabins are quaint, rustic and charming. You can really relax with a bottle of wine or a six pack here. I was able to forget about the world and unwind, and I did - I kicked back and had the best time I've had in long time. I don't know if was the dirt roads and trails, or the rustic lodging, or the desert night skies that shown with a trillion stars, or the smell of cactus plants and flowers - I don't know. But altogether I knew I had landed on another planet and found myself relaxing like I haven't done in a long long time. This is the place for writers, poets to get lost in - it's the place for the weary over-worked business person - or that romantic getaway for two. The ambience and desert smells will soothe you into a deep tranquil mood that lingers throughout the stay. You won't wake up until you hit pavement.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Skyscape049
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

So I have read differing reviews and I will just say it how I found it. It exceeded my expectations in all areas. The staff without exception were friendly and helpful. The retro check-in, pool and restaurant are a delight. Its a 'real' pool too - 9ft at deep end, not the paddling pools built today. Stayed in cheapest ($95) style room, Room Z. Just faultless. Clean and worked well with old retro fittings (windows, heater, furniture) giving it huge character. Any more modernising would be wrong, for me the balance old/new is perfect. Located outside town virtually in park so incredibly quite at night. Just loved it will be back for longer next time

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank GlynCarre
Orange, California
Reviewed 17 May 2013

My wife and I enjoyed every aspect of our time here! The staff was cheerful and helpful. The adobe cabin was homey and really gave us an experience unlike any other hotel - by this I mean it seemed authentic to the hi desert architecture and living - and it was personalized. The patio area adjacent to our cabin allowed us beautiful views of the desert night sky and stars without the normal city lights. The restaurant was clean and the food was good, even for us vegetarians. The morning breakfast was hearty and healthy - breads, bran muffins, oatmeal, coffee, fruits. We hung out around the pool for a while, explored the beautiful grounds, walked through the garden, meditated along the pond. All in all, a wonderful experience and I highly recommend it.
For a few dollars more than a chain hotel, it was well worth it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Dandelion 'room' - this room is one of eight rooms that have views of the m...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family