“Not good enough”

TUI SENSIMAR Medulin
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Medulin
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The hotel is smart, beautifully clean and has lovely staff. Thomson staff were brilliant. However, the rooms may be modern but are small and have absolutely no drawer space. Two tiny built in wardrobes (one with a safe, leaving even less space)with a shelf at the top and one at the bottom and that's it. My dresses were folded over and could not be hung. We had to ask for more hangers as the hotel feels that 5 hangers and no drawer space is sufficient. Thank goodness I was only staying for one week as I hate living out of a suitcase. The balcony does not have any provision to hang swimwear. Food was okay, but that is the best I could say,apart from the a la carte which was lovely. We paid to have it a second time. The all-inclusive drinks were awful. If you like red or white wine, forget it. It comes out of a tap and is undrinkable. I stuck to the sparkling wine, which you had to get from the bar. Spirits were weak and not nice. Bar closed on the dot at 11pm and you couldn't even buy a drink after that time.

Hotel was surrounded by a metal fence and had security doors both in and out. Felt a bit like a prison. WiFi was intermittent. One week was more than enough and I will not be going back.

Room Tip: Try for a luxury room as you may even get somewhere to store your clothes!!
2  Thank Sandra F
Arena T, Management at TUI SENSIMAR Medulin, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you found our hotel smart, beautifully clean and our staff lovely. On a more negative note, we are disappointed to hear that you didn’t like our all-inclusive drinks and rooms especially because we constantly receive high ratings in the Thomson surveys, online review websites and different social media channels. In regards to the room size, please note that it’s in line with the Croatian and European four star hotels regulations. That being said, we hope you will give us the opportunity to host you and exceed your expectations in the future!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Cannot really write very much that hasn't already been said. The hotel is very clean the staff are very friendly and helpful (special thanks to our waitress Annabel), overall very good.
Rooms are a little tight to walk around mainly due to the massive bed.
Some of the evening entertainment was very good, but as mentioned elsewhere if you wanted more it wasn't a problem to go for a 5 minute walk to the harbour.

Room Tip: Second floor and above had best sea views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank largeone99

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are pleased to read of your satisfaction and look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We recently returned from a wonderful holiday at Park Plaza Medulin - we stayed there from the 2nd August until 12th August. We traveled as a group of four - me, my fiance', my sister and her husband and our ages vary from 24 - 32. After reading the reviews about it being predominately 60+ we were slightly apprehensive that we would stick out like a sore thumb. However, there were couples of all different ages and majority of the guests were the friendliest we have come across from previous hotels (reflects well on the hotel as everyone was very relaxed).

The hotel was always really clean, staff always attentive and extremely friendly. Shirley the Thomson rep was always very approachable and keen to help. I unfortunately had trouble with my ear for a few days and she always took the time to see how I was and gave clear directions to the local doctors.

We were on the third floor facing the car park - we did have a large tree blocking any view and another guest did comment that we should complain. In all honesty we very rarely spent time out there as we were too busy exploring/sunbathing it was just a pain getting things dry as there was very little sunlight. The room was very modern, the bed was incredible and the shower was by far the best I have ever used. If you are a light sleeper I would probably recommend bringing some ear plugs as outside bars were occasionally noisy and sometimes you could hear guests coming in later. (We were unfortunately next to a miserable couple who screamed through the wall when we arrived back late from the Plitvice Lakes - yes it was 11.30pm but we were only conversing and I found it very rude. You need to expect some noise when you're sharing a hotel with hundreds of other guests... but unfortunately where ever you go there will be a few people who can't crack a smile but most the guests were lovely.)

Food was always fantastic - me and my sister are both vegetarians and always found plenty of choice. The food can be quite salty which I didn't mind as I like salty foods but overheard some guests showing distaste to certain foods. We did the A la Carte for my sisters birthday and all found it very lovely. I put on half a stone in 10 days so that shows how much I enjoyed the food!

Pool area great with plenty of sunbeds. However, and this is my only real niggle if I could find one, but as early risers we saw the pettiness of other guests. We witnessed them rising before 7am to reserve sun loungers and then clear off for hours. There were about 20 sun loungers that were more preferable than the others as you can lay them flat or sit up right. The first 5 days of our holiday wasn't so competitive, we would finish breakfast by 8 and managed to try these loungers out. But when a new lot of guests came the dynamics changed and people had taken them and reserved them all by 7am or earlier. The hotel did put a new sign up whilst we were there stating not to reserve sun loungers longer than 2 hours but that contradicted the other sign stating not to reserve loungers at all. I do believe the hotel should actually stop people reserving loungers as it really does wind other guests up. Or maybe get some more of the sunbeds that everyone prefers? And it certainly wasn't the Germans reserving - all British and the same people every day! Pool itself is wonderful and very refreshing. The saltiness does burn your eyes if you're not used to it.

Local area was fantastic with water sports in the sea - we hired pedalos three times and braved the UFO speedboat ride! Very fun.
Also a little fair around the corner with rides which we all loved as we are big kids! Lots of taverns and shops 5 minutes from hotel.

We did two big excursions. Originally wanted to do the Venice day out but decided on the Best of Istria as we wanted to know more about the country we were visiting. Amazing day - loved eating at the farmers house for lunch - greeted with donkey and traditional bagpipes. Also a good way to converse with other guests from hotel. Rovinj is also very beautiful!
We also did Plitvice lakes - Well worth the long coach ride! We had the amazing Elvis as tour guide who was hilarious and extremely knowledgeable. You do a nice little stop trying out the local brandies and cheeses! Can buy as gifts too at 50kuna a bottle - bargain! The lakes were like stepping into heaven. I have honestly never seen a place so beautiful. It does really take your breath away.
We took a local bus to Pula (30 min ride and 15 kuna each way), I'd recommend turning right outside hotel and getting on opposite Hotel Holiday - this is situated right next to Park Plaza Medulin. It's less busy at this bus stop and more chance of a seat. We visited the Ampitheatre which was great. Didn't spend too much time in Pula as we were quite tired by the end of the week.

Would I return to Croatia and this hotel? Most definitely! We haven't stopped reminiscing about it since we've been home.

Room Tip: You are always going to get noise when you stay in a hotel - just pack ear plugs and the problem is...
10  Thank Katie C
Arena T, Management at TUI SENSIMAR Medulin, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Park Plaza Medulin. We are really glad to read all of your lovely compliments about our gastronomic offer, friendliness of the staff and overall cleanliness. Your review title is such a marvellous one, and your review truly created a candid overview of what makes Park Plaza Medulin so special as a place! As you already notice, we really try hard to make sure that sun beds are not left unattended for a long period of time or even worst, reserved without being used. Unfortunately, it happens from time to time that some of the guest’s don’t respect the hotel's rules. Anyhow, we'll try to enforce the existing rules even more and improve in this segment.
We look forward to host you on your next trip to Croatia and hope that on future visits you will notice all the improvements made!

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a week here with my boyfriend. What a lovely hotel. The rooms were well equipt, spotlessly clean and spacious. The shower was powerful with hot water whenever you needed it.

The food was lovely with a huge amount of choice. The only downside of meal time was the feeling of sitting in a noisy canteen but would suggest eating outside on the terrace which was much more relaxing.

The bar was well stocked with a large selection of drinks included in the all inclusive package. The local wine went down very well! Only negative was that both the bars and self service area shut at 23:00.

The hotel entertainment was the only real down side. The resident duo (who appear most days) were very good but one evening of them was plenty. Something much more lively is needed- and this was a complaint not only from us youngsters but the older holiday makers too!

The weather was good but it soon appeared that on the one rainy day we had there was very little to do in the hotel. I think the addition of a pool table etc would be a bonus.

The pool area was always clean and tidy with plenty of loungers, although they were grabbed by the early risers. If you get up after 9am they are like gold dust!

There's a stony beach about 5 mins from the hotel with some nice bars and restaurants and this leads to the harbour area which was a little livelier in the evenings which many of us opted for over the hotel offerings!! Very cheap everywhere- about £4 for 2 large beers.

There's a fantastic wine shop on the main road of the hotel selling locally produced wines, grappa and olive oils. Also a very good ice cream parlour which must be sampled!!

Overall a fantastic holiday in a fantastic hotel. All staff were brilliant. Would definitely recommend but suggest venturing out for some life of an evening

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Donna M
Arena T, Management at TUI SENSIMAR Medulin, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your impressions on TripAdvisor! We are really pleased to read that you found our hotel fantastic, the rooms well equipt, spotlessly clean and spacious. Your kind remarks about the bar/self service area, hotel entertainment and pool table will be shared with related departments and Thomson representative. Your comments are really appreciated since they help us to improve our areas of opportunity – thank you for sharing them! We hope to have the possibility to host you and your boyfriend anytime soon for another fantastic holiday!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just returned from the most relaxing 10 days at the Park Plaza Medulin. What can I add to the many favourable reveiws....i have to agree that the Park Plaza is spotless and very well maintained. Our 3rd floor room did not have a sea veiw but was comfortable, modern and with adequate storage. We had tea & coffee making facilities in our room along with a mini fridge. We also had a free safe and a super modern hair dryer! The power shower was amazing ( although I did miss my bath )
The restaurant was stylish with a very good selection of food. Our A' La Carte meal was just delicious. The house wine and gin were excellent and we had a few so we know what we are talking about!! Someone has already mentioned the dress code in the dining room....men should wear long trousers ( just what you would expect from a 4 star hotel ) however some men were allowed to enter wearing shorts. Iong trousers are long trousers and shorts really are'nt suitable for an evening in a restaurant ( rant over )
The pool area was spotless with lots of comfortable sun loungers and umbrellas. Pool towels were also available. You could also help yourselves to complimentary drinks in 2 areas around the pool. The salt water pool was cool and more than welcome on the long hot sunny days.
The staff at the hotel just couldnt do enough for you and were always on hand to remove empty glasses and give help putting up umbrellas by the pool.
The resort of Medulin was quaint and clean but just didnt have enough good quality shops for me.( just a small niggle but I love the shops when I am abroad )
If you have booked to go to this hotel you are in for a treat, you will be spoilt, you will be cosseted and you will be fed to within an inch of your life.
Would we return to the Park Plaza ....... Hell YES,!.,

Room Tip: Sea view on a high floor
6  Thank maria b

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and all your lovely words.
Your nice words will be shared with our team as they will be delighted to hear that their efforts are appreciated. We endeavour to provide one-of-a-kind experiences to our guests with a wide array of amenities and services under one roof, so we are truly glad that you experienced our offer.
We all look forward to to your return visit!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have just returned from a two week holiday here and it totally lived up to my expectations. We wanted a quiet holiday away from screaming children but with places to visit and see when we wanted too and this was perfect.

The hotel was lovely, can’t fault it. It was excellent to have two garden areas as well as the pool area so not everyone was cramped around the pool (not that they were cramped) but we like to be away from everyone and the gardens allowed you to do this. There were plenty of day beds and sun beds to go around even you came back to the hotel in the afternoon, you could always find somewhere to sit. There are a couple of seating areas with tables outside which were nice.
The hotel staff were all wonderful, from the pool boys to the restaurant staff, there were all so friendly and helpful, I love Croatian people!

The food was excellent and I don’t eat meat or fish but I was never short of anything to eat. There is an outside eating area too which was lovely. The all-inclusive alcohol was fine, if you want posh wine and drinks then don’t go all-inclusive.

The hotel room was lovely and very clean, we had a sea view which was worth the extra money. Some other reviewers have complained about lack of drawers, but there are two wardrobes with plenty of shelves plus extra shelves in the safe cupboard and bedside cabinets. The hairdryer was excellent, helpfully positioned in the room and not the bathroom. Ingenious idea having a plug socket in the safe.

Some reviewers have said the hotel is like a Saga hotel, this is definitely not the case. There were couples in their twenties, thirties and forties as well as older and plenty of honeymooners.
The area itself is lovely with many places to visit. Pula is a bus ride away with its Amphitheatre and other Roman ruins. Rovinj is a must both in the day and night. In the evening the Valentino Cocktail bar on the rocks is a must, where the waiters give you a cushion and you sit on the rocks on the water edge!!!

The Thompson reps were great and very helpful and friendly. The hotel even had its own library of donated books and the odd toiletry which was fabulous as I ended up reading 7 books whilst away and had only taken four with me.

There are a couple of camp sites nearby and being the school holidays these were busy but they are far enough away not to be noticed but they help provide Medulin with a lovely atmosphere and hustle and bustle in the evening.

I will be searching for a honeymoon location for 2016 and its going to take something special to beat this hotel and country.

This truly was the most relaxing holiday I have ever had in the most beautiful country I have ever visited. I love Croatia, and I hope it stays true to itself.

4  Thank Lisa B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for writing such a beautiful review! We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and that this was „the most relaxing holiday you have ever had in the most beautiful country I have ever visited“ – thank you for such a beautiful compliment!
We look forward to your return visit so that our team may once again exceed your expectations!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Recently returned from the most relaxing holiday we've had in a long time, I can only agree with all the positive comments already written by other happy visitors.
The hotel was spotless from the communal areas, outside areas, pool and rooms themselves. The staff are the most helpful, happiest and friendliest that I have encountered on any holiday I have been on.
I cant believe anyone would complain about the food, weve been to many many hotels all over the world and considering the cost of our holiday we were amazed at the quality and variety of freshly prepared food on offer. The waiting staff are so friendly and professional and cannot do enough for you, a special mention to Dusan... possibly the best waiter ever !!! As for the comments about the wine it was absoloutly fine, no complaints from us whatsoever.
The room was modern and spotlessly clean, we had 2 wardrobes and shelf space as well as bedside drawers... I always take too many clothes but had no problem storing them in the space provided. The bathroom and modern shower was lovely and the towels were changed daily.
All in all the hotel and staff got 10 out of 10... if you're looking for a 5 star hotel then you need to pay 5 star money, at the end of the day you get what you pay for and in terms of value for money this more than ticked every box.
So if you are looking for a lovely relaxing holiday with comfortable, spotlessly clean, modern accommodation and lovely friendly staff then you really need look no further.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank trish s
Arena T, Management at TUI SENSIMAR Medulin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Guest,

What an honour it was hosting you during your holiday in Medulin!
It is with great joy to know that you and your lovely husband had an excellent stay and compared our hotel/service with a 5 star hotel!
Your sentiments are wonderful, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Park Plaza Medulin again in the future!

The Park Plaza Medulin Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Medulin
Park Plaza Belvedere Medulin
Park Plaza Arena Pula
Hotel Monte Mulini
Hotel Monte Mulini
#1 of 23 in Rovinj

Been to TUI SENSIMAR Medulin? Share your experiences!