“Excellent!”

and 1 more site!
La Villa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lopud
Reviewed 25 November 2011

A fantastic hotel. We stayed in the Yellow room in June 2011. The room is apparently their smallest - but, was a very good size and most definitely large enough for two people. The hotel, as a whole, is very well decorated, very clean.

The restaurant serves brilliant food, and in my opinion, very well priced food. I had the steak one night - one of the best steaks i've ever had! The service is brilliant - the waiters are friendly and helpful.

Overall - I cannot recommend this hotel enough. The hosts work tirelessly to help their guests and make them comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RJC129

Reviewed 10 October 2011

just by the sea, cozy family runned, beutiful rooms with ocean view, unbelivable roman botanical garden in the back, deliciuus food!!!! What else can you ask for!
Highly reccomanded!!!! We'll definitelly be back!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I think all the other reviewers have covered everything off. This is a delightful boutique hotel, run by the charming and interesting Mischel and Dobrila.

Just a couple of other bits to add: one good, one bad.

The good news is that they recently opened a restaurant and it's doing stonking business. We ate there both nights and on September evenings, it was busy when others were quiet. First night we had a very generous seafood platter and night two we had what everyone else was having: an amazing steak.

The bad news is that the beautiful bay of Lopud, where the hotel is placed, is 1/4 of a mile from the garish, noisy Lafodia hotel. Two nights out of three, noisy tacky wedding-style music blared out around the bay. It's bad enough that the hotel spoils the view, but it has the same effect on the eardrums. Perhaps we were unlucky and it's not like that all the time.

It didn't spoil our stay. Lopud is a lovely island (although not as nice as Mjlet) and Mischel and Dobrila make you feel very welcome.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boywaspy
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed at La Villa for 6 nights at the end of August, a family of four (children aged 7 and 13). We treated ourselves to a private boat and taxi transfer to arrive – cost 720 KUNA (around £95 at the time) and although pricey was well worth it to arrive on the jetty in front of the hotel in your own private boat-taxi, otherwise you have a lot of hanging around for the 4 ferries a day from Dubrovnik, not great with family in tow!

The hotel is a very attractive stone building in the centre of the bay – complete with a semi formal garden area at the rear and dining terrace to the side – there have been very few more attractive views we've had at breakfast! If you're expecting fussy and snap-to-attention service then don't come here, go to a chain hotel with your corporate loyalty card! This is laid back and chilled out with friendly and informal service. A good collection of books and DVDs to borrow and wi-fi and 3 computers with internet access helped the chill out process!

We had the Lilac room, a family room (one double and two singles in a separate room) at the front, a good size and with décor stylish but simple – the bed was one of the most comfortable we've slept in on our travels so very importantly we slept well. The bathroom was a bit 'compact' but had a really good shower. The Lilac room is on the second floor and has a couple of small windows, one, in the main bedroom, facing the sea. There's not a view as such because of the size, height and positioning of the window but you can see out if you stand on tip toes but opening the window first thing in the morning so you can doze in bed to the gentle sound of the sea and boat noises is very relaxing! A previous review mentioned the refuse cart which turns up on a boat every 2 or 3 days and the bins are emptied for seemingly half the bay – strangely, the sound of that did not disturb us too much early in the morning and took on a sort of distant boat noise quality rather than anything too annoying!

A number of reviewers and also a few guests whilst we were there seem to have had problems with air conditioning units broken down in the rooms and temporary/mobile units replacing them which don;t work effectively or need emptying out regularly. Thankfully the air con on the Lilac Room worked perfectly – thank goodness as the temperature when we were there was at its hottest of the summer and I have to say that we had no such problems at all.

Breakfast was a little bit disappointing. It's a basic continental buffet but the variety is limited and it does get a bit repetitive. On the last day another family got cooked eggs and toast - no-one had indicated anything from the kitchen was a possibility and this would have been a welcome change. Having said that the setting of the dining terrace was a great place to have a long lazy coffee or two (you have to ask for a large one otherwise you get a two gulpsworth!) just a few feet from the shore and with idyllic views across the bay and to adjacent islands.

The island has a great beach on the other side (15 minute walk) where in the height of the August sun had warm shallow waters ideal for all to play and swim and there are also a number of smaller beaches around the main bay. These range from small partly sandy areas to rocks to jetties - great areas for diving, swimming, snorkelling etc. It's an attractive and easy island to explore – some hills and climbs. Plenty of boating, kayaking etc things to do as well and of course a ferry to Dubrovnik for a day is a must. Enough to keep a family occupied for the most part of a week, you may find any longer than this might be a challenge to keep the kids occupied.

When we left the island we went by ferry to Dubrovnik port (very good value at 23 Kuna per adult) then by taxi to the airport (220 Kuna). The morning ferry was just after 6 in the morning (next one was middayish) but even though we were only half awake it was a memorable journey with the sun rising over the mountains on the mainland. The owners of La Villa had provided us with a packed breakfast, a typical personal touch from the owners.

All in all, a delightful location and really relaxing place to stay. There were a handful of imperfections though. The price of the hotel and generally on the island was quite expensive, partially down to the exchange rate and partially I suspect down to the island being a little bit exclusive – not in a luxury way, more shabby chic. We paid £160 per night, weak exchange rate doesnt help, but we did feel this was a bit on the pricey side. Taxi (golf cart) service to Sunj Beach was a bit of a rip off at 20 Kuna each when compared to 23 Kuna for a ferry to Dubrovnik! Simple meals out were often around £50-70 and whilst they were 'good, local/family cooking' were nothing exceptional and more than we'd spend as a family in say Pizza Express! Having said that fish was good value for what you got including a whole sea bass for around £20, you'd get a small fillet of that back home for the same price.

The beaches and edge of shore around Lopud Bay (not Sunj beach) were annoyingly littered with cigarette butts, plastic bottles, tissues etc and didnt seem to get cleaned up often but this does seem to be fairly widespread in this part of Europe and something we have noticed elsewhere on other holidays in the Baltics, Adriatic and Eastern Europe. There is no access to a laundry room and drying clothes in the room was difficult (the garden can be used to dry towels etc) but Dobrila did very kindly wash one of our beach towels for us.

Having said that, these imperfections didn’t spoil the part of our holiday we spent on Lopud and we'd be happy to recommend La Villa to others who want a really relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Lilac Room - family suite with double and two singles in separate room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MySloeLink
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Having read the other reviews on TA, we were both very excited about staying here, and whilst there was nothing hugely wrong it lacked the wow factor that other reviews talked about. The location was faultless, fantastic location for breakfast and we ate at La Villas restaurant one night too, which although expensive was excellent and I would recommend. However, the breakfast was basic, and only on our last day did I hear another guest asking for cooked eggs etc, but otherwise I would not have known, they don't offer even toast as standard. The room was clean, if not a little basic for £100 plus a night. I guess in summary there was nothing that really stood out as being special, however if you are after a good small hotel, in a stunning location then this would you suit you fine. If you want the wow factor then give this one a miss.

It is something you get used to in Croatia, but no where seems to accept cards, which meant planning very carefully how much money to take out each day and making sure you had enough left to pay the hotel bill. There is an ATM, close to the harbour so its not much of an inconvenience, but something to be aware of and to plan for.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sunny97
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed at La Villa for three nights in the blue and pink rooms with our two children. The rooms were OK (small windows, generally clean but dirty bedside cups), but there was a problem with the air conditioning with one and a unit had been installed which was almost useless. It was very noisy and the water tank filled up after an hour and a half and we ended up playing musical beds which was far from ideal. We mentioned it to our hosts who explained that we should empty the tank - not straightforward with children trying to sleep. The net result was that the blue room was stifling hot and uncomfortable. No alternative room was offered although at least one room was free (no. 21) for two of our three nights. When I complained I managed to secure a 20% discount on one room from a rather reluctant Dobrilla, who told me no one had complained before. This is completely untrue as I have now read several TA reviews saying the same thing and this is what has prompted me to write this. Dobrilla also said that the air con had broken down ages ago - when I asked why it hadn't been mended she was vague and her excellent English seemed to escape her. She was similarly vague when I pointed out she had not mentioned the problem to me even in our very recent email exchange before we came. There was an earlier complaint on TA about mould in the orange room and I read with interest Mischel's response. Having stayed there, I believe the guest not the host. Our experience was that the blue bathroom smelt a little damp and the red loo flush was temperamental The breakfast was OK but you will need to ask for eggs etc. as no one comes round offering. The restaurant was good but expensive and there are better alternatives. On a positive note, the position of the hotel is wonderful and the internal decoration is imaginative. An extra bed was provided for our younger child so they didn't have to share a double.  Avoid accepting the owners offer to arrange transfer from the airport to La Villa which is a complete rip-off - 720 kuna about £80! We got the ferry back for 24 kuna each (12 kuna for children) and 70 kuna to our next hotel. Also, as they don't accept cards for less than 5 nights stay, you will need all the cash you can lay your hands on for the bill.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Emma O
LaVillaLopud, Owner at La Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2011

Unfortunately, sometimes unpleasant and unpredicted things happen and with our best will and efforts we can not do enough. Yes, the AC unit stopped working and it was not possible to fix or change it ( to change it we need to crash part of the wall so it can not be done while we have guests ), so we bought a portable AC unit, which cools down the room properly. It is slightly louder than the regular AC unit and it does stop working when the water tank is full ( 3-4 hours ) so to re-start it the tank has to be emptied. We understood this was not so convenient for you since your children had slept in that room and therefor we kindly apologized ( in clear and fluent English ) and discounted you for the inconvenience caused. During your stay, we did not have other rooms available, all of the rooms were booked. It is not so nice when someone calls you a lair, so I have to say that the AC complaint you red about was for other room and different period and that thing was fixed within one week.
We have to point out that are very happy with our made who is great in her job and she would not allowed leaving dirty bedside cups behind. Toilets flushing is fine and not smelly but you know that. Breakfast is not served, it is a buffet style and therefor waiters bring only fresh coffee/tea to your table, unless you request for eggs which is possible to order.
The last thing I want to give my comment to is the price of private transfer. We all know a difference in between public and private transfer and transportation (private pick up from Dubrovnik airport to La Villa Lopud costs 670 Kuna for 1-3 persons and 720 Kuna for 4-8 persons including taxi and speed boat ). If it is easier to understand, just compare the taxi fee from, let's say Gatwick airport to Central London, and the fee for the same route with the train or bus. Private transfer is at your convenience and comfort, and we have that as an option to the guests that want that.
Thank you for taking your time to read my reply. Wishing you all the best with our apologies for the AC one more time.
Dobrila Cuculić

Reviewed 22 August 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights in late August. It is a beautiful hotel- the interior is chic, and very homely. The room was serviced every day, and the cleaners were very friendly and helpful. There were two waiters who also helped in the hotel and they were both very welcoming. We both didn't have the best time arriving to the island (our fault!!!)- we didn't realize it was a bank holiday, and this meant there were different ferry times. But once we arrived it was worth every minute waiting for the ferry!! The ferry journey over was an experience in itself. We were welcomed by one of the waiters and Dobrila and Mischel. The hosts Dobrila and Mischel were very happy to have us to stay and had plenty of advise on where to eat and what is good to do on the island. We were shown to our Pink Room, which was brilliant. We both knew that the pink room was one of the cheaper rooms in the hotel and therefore we weren't expecting much. The room was really big, with beautiful furniture and an amazing bathroom. The room had a mini fridge, hair dryer and air con- and if you stood on tip toes (I am very small!) you could see out onto the main street and see the sea. There was wifi access in all the rooms, and we could have used the computers downstairs. There was also a library which was well stocked, and next time I don't think I will pack any books with me!! When I first booked this hotel I was not 100% sure as there is no swimming pool, but on arrival I can see why- there is no need for a pool, the sea is literally seconds away!!! And the Adriatic is clear and clean- fantastic to snorkel in, which is what I did for the majority of the holiday! For those that want a sandy beach, there is one at the other end of the island- it is a short walk away or you can get a golf cart (it being a no car island!). Everyone in lopud was very friendly and happy to offer advice. We also explored the island- there is a fort that you can walk up to with amazing views of the island, and there are many churches! We walked up to one that Dobrila suggested and the scenery was breathtaking. We also managed to find the lopud cemetery which was interesting to walk around and had brilliant views over the sandy beach (sunj) and over the Adriatic. We ate in a few restaurants across the island- ALL of the food was really really tasty!! My personal favorite restaurant was La Villas restaurant- the best steak I have ever had was from here, and the fish that I had one night was cooked to perfection. The food is served to you on the terrace which is right by the ocean, and is a perfect spot to watch the sunset. Once again the two waiters were fantastic, and made our evening very enjoyable. In addition, we had breakfast every morning on the terrace, which was a treat, and the food available was scrummy!!
Before we arrived to the island we were told that there wasn't much to do, but this is not true, there is plenty to see and explore! It is a fantastic place to relax and unwind. And it is a romantic location for couples. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and I can't wait to book my room for next year. It was hands down the best holiday I have ever had. And the morning I woke up back in the UK I was very sad that I would not be walking down to the terrace for breakfast and then jumping in the sea to snorkel with the fishes!!

Room Tip: Pink Room- very big, with homely stylish interior. One of the cheaper rooms so only had a small win...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HarrietCampbell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lopud
Lafodia Hotel & Resort
#2 of 11 in Lopud
Hotel Glavovic
Hotel Glavovic
#1 of 8 in Lopud

Been to La Villa? Share your experiences!