“An ideal place to stay to explore Lopud”
Review of La Villa

and 1 more site!
La Villa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lopud
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“An ideal place to stay to explore Lopud”
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Wow, you get a good idea from Trip Advisor, but never the full picture of what to expect, wow again. A really great little hotel located right on the harbour front in Lopud. You can arrange your own transfer on the standard ferry, or the hotel can arrange one for you, including airport pickup for 600 kuna door to door, what a way to start your holiday.

We stayed in the red room which had wonderful high ceilings, a lovely tiled floor, a rain effect shower looking out over the sea and my favourite (sad I know) but original wooden windows with complex fixings.

The room was very clean, tidy and functional. A couple of things needed attention, the CD player did not have a plug and the shower had come slightly away from the wall, but I'm sure they will be resolved. Just to note, the room doesn't have a TV, but who needs a TV when you are coming on a holiday like this, we did watch a couple of films on my laptop on the one windy/rainy night. Note: Reception has films and books galore.

The staff at La Villa were very friendly and spoke perfect English. Breakfast was continental and served on the patio area overlooking the sea. A wonderful setting, for the typical continental cheeses and meats, might get a bit repetitive after a week, but we had an interesting quiche like item appear on the last day which was very tasty.

All requests, extra pillow etc were dealt with very quickly and cleaning staff very friendly.

A word of warning, the hotel does NOT accept credit cards for short stays, luckily they let us know before hand as my bank card limit would not have allowed me to withdraw enough money for the stay at the ATM. There is an ATM at the far end of the harbour.

There is free Internet in the hotel, which worked really well.

There is plenty to do, lots of places to walk, bars, restaurants etc. A really nice place to unwind. I'd certainly recommend coming to Lopud and if you do decide to stay more than a day, I'd recommend staying at La Villa. The staff here clearly know what they are doing and listen carefully to what works for their guests. Full marks!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We spent three nights at the Villa at the start of September and stayed in the Yellow room. Whilst this was the smallest room La Villa, this was reflected in a price that I thought was very reasonable for what was peak season and even in this room there was ample space and a fresh design

La Villa offers a laid back ambience combined with very friendly service. but if you want helpful advice you'll get it as the people who run the place speak excellent english. The location is great with fantastic views over the main bay in Lopud. Breakfast was tasty and made even better by having it on the outdoor terrace next to la villa which overlooks the bay. I didnt try dinner here but I heard good things. Lpud also has a few resturants along the front (although our favourite was tucked up above the back alleys at the other end of the front).

Lopud itself is reached by ferry from Dubrovnick or you can organise a road/boat taxi to the toel - we chose the latter for our departure and it was geat.

Lopud itself is very quiet and a place to go to if you want to chill out and relax. There are small areas of sandy beach on the side of the island where the la villa is and then the main beach is the other side of the island (again sandy) about 15-20 mins walk. This was a little crowded so we mostly stayed on our side of the island to sunbathe. Lopud only really gets slightly busy from 2-5 when the boat tours moor up for a couple of hours - It is completely quiet until 11 when the ferry arrives and after 5. This is complimented by the absence of cars (a few golf cartsbeing the only form of transport). The position of the beaches also means you can normally find a beach out of the wind if it is blowing

All in all a lovely hotel on a peaceful and beautiful island.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew32_7
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2010

While in Croatia, among other places, I stayed at La Villa for four days in July.
In summary, no traffic, beautiful scenery, great weather, friendliest of hosts and comfortable accommodation.
I have arranged, in advance (with Mischel), boat transport from Dubrovnik and booked the orange room. I have to confess; there was some concern over this after reading not so flattering review, but as it was too late to change the booking I went with it. Personally, I did not have any problems with the damp or funny smells (I thought it had a nice whiff of lavender) and I found the room very comfortable – although I did spent more time on the beach and rambling around the island.
The food was great, I liked the fact that ingredients were locally sourced or picked from the garden (all au naturel as few of the locals underlined). The breakfast was pretty standard with selection of cereals, jams, coffees, teas and such; the dinner had to be pre-ordered and was deliciously fresh. However, the view from the terrace with the meal had made it for me!
If you are looking for a party there are probably better places to go (e.g. Pag), but if you want to chill out and forget about the world, I would definitely recommend Lopud and La Villa.
So, the overall experience has achieved its mission; I felt relaxed, at peace and I enjoyed every second.
Shame it rained and Bakerloo line was not in service when I got back to London….
I’ll be back ☺

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank poppet1812
Glasgow
Reviewed 28 August 2010

My wife and I stayed in The Orange Room at La Villa in June and loved every minute. Far from being troubled by any 'mould' on the furniture (the management response to that otherwise pleasant posting was telling), we slept soundly and were incredibly well looked after by Michel and Natasha. The location is stunning, the hospitality is first class and the building is wonderfully maintained. The hosts were warm and engaging (drinks on arrival, coffee cups refilled at breakfast, speedboats to the mainland arranged at your convenience and ahead of time) and if you fancy eating in-house, the chef can prepare you a plentiful and delicious plate of fresh seafood as you sit-back and ponder the gorgeous Dalmation view.

This is the first hotel I have ever been moved to review online. As said, I would commend La Villa to anyone.

We shall be back.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Damopop
Dubai
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We returned from Dubrovnik yesterday and a 3 day stay at La Villa. What can I say? The most relaxing few days we have had in a long time.

Before we had even embarked upon our trip, all communication with Mischel and Dobrila was prompt and helpful. I booked an airport transfer for ease on arrival and we had a car waiting for us and a boat took over part way - a fine way to arrive. On arrival to La Villa, Mischel welcomed us off the boat and got us immediately settled with drinks and his wealth of knowledge about the island.

La Villa is perfectly situated in the beautiful bay with stunning terrace views. The rooms we stayed in (red and green) were bright, clean and spacious with breathtaking views. Breakfast was fresh and tasty - fruit, yoghurt, cereal, bread, cheese and cold meats. I would highly recommend an evening meal at La Villa (upon request) where Dobrila uses fresh ingredients from the garden to compile a mouthwatering treat!

Everything about La Villa was excellent - but the hosts really made the place - nothing is too much to ask and they really do accommodate you as much as they possibly can.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank boofy_verity
London
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I was really disappointed with this hotel. It looks great, the rooms and bathrooms are nicely decorated and breakfast is done well on a terrace next to the sea front. Problem was that our ground floor room was very damp smelling with further investigation uncovering a layer of mould on most of the furniture.

We were told that despite the condition of the room, if we opted to go elsewhere we would still have to pay for the four nights we booked (the 15 days cancellation policy they have means you cannot cancel even if you are unhappy with the standard of the room) . This wasn't affordable so we stayed and to their credit they did what they could to clean the mould and mask the smell.

It was the Orange room / room one so if you specifiy you would like to avoid that one you will no doubt enjoy your stay given the positivity of other reviews here.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
LaVillaLopud, Manager at La Villa, responded to this review, 7 July 2010
we have not been surprised when we saw review from this client, as we were blackmailed from her side that unless we offered a good discount she would "treat" us with the "good" review.
We were very clear with the discount policy when making a booking with the couple and therefor we did not wont to offer anything more. Our Orange superior room is new room. It was built in 2009. and absolutely has no mold at all. Furniture is white and very clean.
I think that for such a hard accusation a photo could help as a proof?! Please, post one and reassure us in your claims.
Our cancellation policy is on our web site and all the clients are able to read it at any time.
With many thanks
manager
Harrogate, N. Yorks, UK
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We had the best time at La Villa and on Lopud. Mischel and Dobrila are great hosts and looked after us very well - and you should try Dobila's cooking, if you get a chance. The baby octopus was particularly good, as was the steak.
We were in the Blue Room with its first floor terrace, a great place to watch the bay and very handy for the path across the island to Sunj beach. The room itself is cool and relaxing and only a few feet from the water's edge, so you can hear the lapping of the sea as you wake up. The room was cleaned every day, and Mischel soon fixed the sun screen on the terrace when it blew off in a particularly strong gust of wind.
Although Lopud is not a large island, there are plenty of walks and sights to see, as long as you don't mind an occasional steep path or flight of steps. The walk to the belvedere at end of the bay and back round the island is well worthwhile.
The beach bar at Sunj does decent food and beer - we spent a few long lunchtimes there before sleeping on the sandy beach.
There is a regular ferry to Dubrovnik and to the other nearby islands, but we didn't venture far as Lopud is the ideal place to relax and unwind.
We will be back next year for more R&R, we'll be booking as soon we can!.
Stephen

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SandKP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lopud
Lafodia Hotel & Resort
#13 of 68 in Dubrovnik
Hotel Kompas Dubrovnik
Hotel Kompas Dubrovnik
#5 of 68 in Dubrovnik

Been to La Villa? Share your experiences!