Hale O Pua Lani
US$380
US$232
US$1,659
US$1,035
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We just stayed at this rental and though the location was great and the acccomodations had promise, it was very, very dirty. There were the tiny "food" cockroaches and ants everywhere in the kitchen and at first, we gave it some slack being it is "tropical" but when doing research, we realized those type of cockroaches are from a place being filthy. The sink in the kitchen was dirty, there was tons of food under and around the oven, there was dirt and sand underneath the beds and in the master bedroom, the disgusting filth along the mattress frame about made my husband puke. Kona is a hot climate but it never dropped below 80 degrees in the house at night and if you want to get ready in the bathroom and try to be cool, forget it, it was about 100 degrees in there. No ventilation or air conditioning. My elderly mother-n-law about had heat stroke at night. The rental also had a keycode to get into the building but it was really a false front as it never locked while we were there. The neighbors living in the bottom floor had a huge dog that barked at my kids and my littlest was afraid to go outside alone in fear he would get her. The blinds all need to be replaced and truly, if this rental has a cleaning staff, they should be fired. I have stayed in youth hostels in the middle of Eastern Europe that were cleaner than this place.

On the plus side, it is a large rental at a good price and the view from the center floor living space had an awesome view of the ocean. The pool was nice, not very clean and there were lots of mosquitos around due to the nightly rain, but otherwise, it was pretty pool. The place has loads of potention but needs some serious TLC.

Overall, I would not ever stay there again nor would I rent it. It didn't make my first visit to Hawaii too awesome, luckily, there are many other places to stay the next time we are around.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Lovetotravel97539
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I stayed in Hale O Pua Lani II. The good part is that the location is great.
The accommodations are sadly lacking. Bathroom was dark and dingy
with towel hooks falling off the walls, kitchenette shares bathroom sink
and vanity counter is also kitchenette counter.
Fridge and microwave were dirty as was the sink. The whole place was
grimey and in need of a good cleaning. Would I stay here again, no, would I
recommend it, NO!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KitRaetsen
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Hale o Pualani is a very nice place to stay. The location is excellent with access to downtown Kailua, white sand beach, and all the east coast of Big Island. It is well equipped with everything you need to prepare your meals and wash your clothes. It is comfortable and spacious with a great ocean view.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Hale o Pualani is a wonderful place to stay. The location is excellent with access to downtown Kailua, the beaches, and Keauhou Shopping Center. The unit is well equipped with everything you need to prepare your own meals. It is comfortable and spacious with a great ocean view and nice breezes. The pool was great and we enjoyed just hanging out at the pool in the cool of the evenings. The owner was great - he communicated with us before we arrived and we found it just as he said it was. We felt it was money well spent on a great vacation.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank HappyTraveler33364
Reviewed 27 April 2011

So when I rented I thought I was renting the Hale O pua Lani but when I got the rental agreement it showed Kona Mara. Who knows, same owner, properties next to each other and I made inquiries at so many places my head was spinning. So when I went to write a review I do could not find it listed VRBO #33241.
Like others: If I had known I'd be expected to clean the bathrooms and kitchen before checking out, I probably wouldn't have rented this unit. It wasn't until the rental agreement had been signed and payment made that the 'arrival and departure instructions' were sent to me. After the directions to the condo, there is a list of instructions for cleaning, including the toilet, sink, shower, sweep floors and patio,etc. I am certainly willing to do general tidying etc., but not to clean the toilets. Not what I'm accustomed to, and proper cleaning equipment was NOT provided and the mop had no sponge on the bottom of it.. I did it, so as not to lose the deposit, but for $119+/night (4 people) I feel a housekeeper should be included at the end of our stay. I walked on the tile floor with white socks upon arrival and they turned brown on the bottom!
Space: roomy place with a nice balcony/lanai and great view of the ocean. Busy
Alii Drive is in front of this property so there is street noise with the wave noise.
Furnishings: soiled and in need of cleaning (couch, chairs) carpet on stairs up filthy,
deferred maintenance through out this tri-plex top floor unit.. I put a sheet over the sofa.
Ceiling fan in living room did not work, freezer leaked water on the floor daily, kitchen faucet loose and wobbly, deadbolt on door did not lock, etc. Reported to owners helper.
Driveway is tricky and difficult to make the turn if you are coming from the south.
Stairs are three flights up (two visible on the outside) another inside the door. Not for anyone with any limited mobility. (Both Hale O Pua Lani and Kona Mara are the same)
Pictures: posted were not accurate for Hale O Pua Lani (as someone mentioned previously). Kona Mara has the BEST VIEW of the two tri- plexes.
Location: near perfect. Close to best snorkeling park where there are turtles.

Room Tip: view the rental agreement before making payment
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends