“Great Setting”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Sydney Australia
“Great Setting”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We wandered down from our condo to Hugos.
We were seated right at the waters edge.
The setting is lovely at night with the torches burning and the waves laping the shore.
We shared our meals so no to miss out on what the other was eating.
The baby back ribs were delicious, the garlic prawns were plentiful. The oysters were very small, not quiet what we are used to in AustraliaThe fritso mitso was ok, but im not a real fan of fried food.
A couple of cocktails and a few beers. All up $102 including tip.
Service was good.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank MissPixieLix

• Korean first
Muskegon, Michigan
“Our favorite restaurant in Kona”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

There's actually two parts I guess, one casual, feet in the sand and one fancier. We loved them both. Went to lunch at the casual one and did a nice dinner at the fancier one. Views are spectacular and both are just what you'd hope for when visiting Hawaii.

2 Thank cabanna59
“Great way to start our vacation...”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My parents flew in and we had a late dinner at Huggo's Restaurant. The staff went out of their way to make sure that we didn't feel rushed, in fact, they encouraged us to take our time and enjoy our meal. The evening views of the ocean and Kona town served as a perfect backdrop to a great dinner experience. I ordered the ribs and loved it so much that the next time I went back to Kona, I had to go to Huggo's to get the ribs!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ReveDeVoir
Tennessee
“Go for the view - not the food”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

After reading the good reviews on TripAdvisor and due to proximity to the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Village which is where we were staying - we decided to try a sunset dinner at Huggos. As mentioned in other reviews, the sunset view was spectacular. Our table was perfect and, again, the view was wonderful. We had two chefs in our group - my husband, who is a Chef at Brumley's here in Greeneville, TN and our friends, who own the Spanish Gardens Cafe in Islamorada, FL - so while we love to have fun and dine out, we are very discriminating but not snobby. We ordered the sizzling mushrooms and the poke tower for appetizers. The mushrooms were delicious, served sizzling hot and perfectly seared. Yuch for the poke tower. The fish was not fresh and we ended up sending it back. The fish was a ugly pink color and had an odor to it. Not want you want to see or smell from a fish dish. For main courses we ordered the garden fresh penne, a fish special and a sesame crusted ahi tuna. The penne was so-so - nothing that could not be thrown together from the stuff in your refrigerator and also desperately in need of seasonings. My fish OK but the forbidden rice should have been forbidden to serve - again, no seasonings on anything. The worst meal of all was the ahi tuna - which was served to my husband. He took one bite and did not touch the rest. Again, he is a chef and swore the fish was old. He realized he should have cancelled the meal when the poke appetizer was not fresh. The Manager came to our table and did reverse the charges for both the appetizer and ahi course but, again, we cannot recommend eating at this restaurant. If I were forced to go again, I would have the mushroom appetizer, a glass of wine and enjoy the sunset. Aloha.

1 Thank yomaryjo
Pueblo, Colorado
“AVOID I.J.”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The food was great. I had the crusted seared rare Ahi, and it was delightful. My lovely bride of 48 years had pasta with shrimp and loved it. The waiter was I.J. or Island Johnny. That affected name aptly describes this guy. Way too ... well, just way too! Maybe I'm old fashioned, and I definitely prefer a quieter sort of waiter. This guy came on at the start like gangbusters, and never slowed down. He made a nice dining experience a whole lot less than it could have been.
The setting on the rocky shore sets this place apart. Great for sunset dining. Like I say, avoid I.J.