“Excellent Family Restaurant”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Located in a mostly-empty strip mall, Original Thai is a very good family-run restaurant: good service, good food, good prices. Nice touches like flower-colored water.

[A note about alcohol service in Hawaii: You can walk into a convenience store and come out with an arm-load of whiskey. A lot of eateries, however, can't serve you beer or wine. Those eateries may have what they call a speakeasy license, which means BYOB. BYOB is a huge savings over restaurant service. A 22 oz. Kona beer costs $3 at a convenience store. A pint at a restaurant down the street will run $7.25 - $8.50.]

1  Thank Iambic

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Got a rice dish & ordered medium. She said it would be American mild but it was Thai mild. Wife's rad bar was also ordered mild but was not spicy at all. It's like I got both pinches of spice. Nice atmosphere. Cute staff. Great flavor. Menu with usual Thai names so easy to order what you want. Didn't charge for rice like bangkok house. May go back. Love the Chinese BBQ next door for food & price. No atmosphere though.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Aloha! Just wanted to say, I am having Original Thai for the first time today and am so impressed. I haven't even made it through my meal and just the neat presentation alone made me want leave a comment... then I took a bit and I was transported!

So I fell in love with Thai at a little corner restaurant in NYC. I haven't found anywhere that comes close to this spot until today... and believe me I've tried them all in Kona. Most were good but none were great. It was a local that directed me to Original Thai and I have to say I'll be forever grateful!

The lunch portion I'm enjoying now is thoughtfully wrapped in foil. The potions are great and the taste is as I mentioned before for me, right on point! You just have to try it. Come on in and see for yourself.

1  Thank SophiaAyalaGettys
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Six of us went to Original Thai tonight. We all live in Kona and eat there often. It is always a favorite, buty tonight they went above and beyond any expectations. Heavy rain in Kona (what a rare treat!) and the power went out after we got there. After a few flickers, it was clear that it was out to stay. Rather than sending everyone home, the guys in the back decided they could cook in the dark with some flashlight assistance. The gals up front did an amazing job of serving us all and taking care of everyone in the restaurant. It ended up being one of the most fun nights eating out that we've had. The food was uniformly good - Panang curry, Rama chicken, red curry duck, thai noodles. We'll be back!

Reviewed 23 August 2013

We have had thai food at various places, here in Midwest and also on West Coast. However this was simply the best thai food we have ever had. We ordered everything from Vegan menu - Tom Yum soup, green papaya salad, yellow curry, panang curry and pineapple fried rice - and each dish was very delicious. The ingredients seemed very fresh and dish preparation was outstanding. Both restaurant ambience and service was also pretty good. I highly recommend this place for any thai food lover visiting Big Island.