“Wonderful Experience”
Review of Kona Honu Divers

Kona Honu Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kona Honu Divers is locally owned and operated. From the moment you step into the shop or prepare to board our boat, you become part of our "ohana" or family. Our boat is safe and comfortable. Our dives are guided by knowledgeable instructors who brief you on what to expect to see before you enter the water. Encounters with dolphin, turtles, and manta rays are common in the placid Kona waters.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This was my first night dive and my first dive on a large boat. This was also Virginia's first night dive. My previous experiences have all been on six packs (which I prefer) or shore dives. But these folks were so well organized that everything seemed seamless. Virginia also commented that this was the best organized large boat she'd ever been on. There're we're twelve divers and another dozen or so snorkelers on-board. Our group of five divers had two newer divers including me. Our dive master Taiki knew where we were at all times, made sure we were safe and having a great experience. The night dive was even more amazing than I had anticipated. It wasn't just the mantas it was the entire experience, Taiki gave us a very useful briefing before going into the water, guided us to a very good viewing site and made sure we could see. He checked on those of us with less experience frequently and kindly suggested when we needed to go with plenty of time for a safety stop. I can't say enough about the water ballet we saw between the gliding and flying mantas and the swirling Hawaiian Flagtails the entire dive was magical. What made it even better was the fact that we had done our afternoon dive at the same site and saw a total transformation after dark.

• Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
“Awesome Dives!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The dives were awesome and the crew was fantastic! I loved the night dive with the Mantas! We saw 38 of them! GREAT!

Visited November 2013
Wrangell, Alaska
“Great operation”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Great crew, great experience. Got my open water cert while on vacation here and was well worth the time and money. Definitely a first class operation! Thanks guys and I'll be back next year to do the Manta Dive.

Brisbane, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“what an experience”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

While on holidays on the big island my partner and I wanted to snorkel with giant manta rays, wr contacted the shop and before we knew it we were on the boat heading to the site. Once there we had a quick chat about the do's and don'ts and then the fun began, firstly beore we got in the water a manta ray breached the water surface which got everyone on the boat even more excited.

We all climbed into the water in search of more of these magnificent creatures, only to see 2 more. It was a bit of a disappointment not to see more but fantastic to see what we did ( you can't control the ocean or what it does ). A great time was had by all and the staff were fantastic and extremely helpful - eager to answer any questions and always up for a chat.

Kihei, Hawaii
“DSD with Kona Honu”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I visited the Big Island with my sister and her boyfriends family, all of whom are certified divers. They had reserved their spots on the boat before they knew I was going to join them. We called a few days ahead of time and they were able to accommodate me as a discovery diver (I wasn't certified at that point), and was introduced to my instructor Terri at the harbor. My entire experience was nothing short of professional, accommodating, pleasant, and the crew was more than willing to answer any questions. I went through a short course with Terri going over the diving basics on the way to the first dive site. After getting geared up we entered the water last and after getting through the skill set required for the dive, we descended down to about 40ft. for our first dive. The visibility on that part of the island was incredible, 100ft. in any direction. Terri was kind enough to bring her GoPro along with her and took some some photos and video (at no additional charge), and on her own time, made sure that I had access to them. Going that extra mile was really appreciated, as I have footage of my first time ever diving. It's what made me write my first review and give them 5-stars. I went on to get my Open Water Certification back here on Maui shortly after my trip with them. In summation, they were professional, courteous and willing to go that extra mile for the customer, would recommend to anyone looking for a boat dive crew on the Kona side.

Visited November 2013